The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   68 S/C update..... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=358692)

ChuckDriver 02-19-2014 12:16 AM

Re: 68 S/C update.....

Probably the best looking '68 on the planet!!

boynton 02-25-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6156397)
Thanks guys! I'm fortunate to have a good friend like Ernie (BuckSS) motivating me and helping out. I borrowed a set of blocks from Ernie to get it up in the air so it's easier to work on. So I've been bolting stuff on and checking clearances. I'm going to have to rework my CPP trannly mount due to the design of the 6L80 tail shaft mounting pad, but I think I've got it figured out (just need to do some cutting and welding). My original shifter lever/linkage almost works as is. I just need to do some tweaking after motor and tranny are bolted down for good. Headers couldn't fit any more perfect, a big BZ to Doug Thorley!!!! The factory 6L80 pan hangs down pretty low, so I found a pan off of a Caddy STsV that is a lot thinner and will bring it up about 1". The factory tranny lines are going to work like a champ too, :metal:. Also, the Cadillac CTsV oil pan did me right again, I love how it fits the crossmember and it works great with either CPP motor mounts or ECE motor mounts. Enough rambling, here are some pictures.

PS I talked to John at Speartech and will be ordering my harness after the holiday weekend. I've "bugged" him a bunch, but he's always taken the time to answer my questions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6168645)
Who would have thought?

Notes are good, :D

Just let me know, :).

I'm not sure on the connector. How many wires go into yours? I bet you could call PSI and ask him what you would need to do to convert it. I'm going to have John at Speartech build it into my harness.

Thanks Rus!

Here's a few pictures of the mock up mount that I built out of aluminum. I just wanted to make sure I liked the pedal placement. Now, I'll build another out of 3/16th steel.

1 Do you have any "final" pictures of your shift linkage and what did you have to modify

2 Do you have any pictures of the back side of the pedal mod/were there any issues on the other side of the firewall or did you just use the original pedal bolts to hold it in (i observed a ~1/2" bolt at the top)

3 any final horsepower numbers:lol:

I am starting a 6.0 ly6/6l90 from a 2009 3/4 ton and these are a few loose ends I am trying to iron out. Your knowledge would be much appreciated!

This is one sweet truck. Mine will not be this nice but I am shooting for something in the same ballpark.

superflysteiny 02-26-2014 07:04 PM

Truck is turning out amazing

Hart_Rod 02-26-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 6532705)
Now that you can mess with it yourself it will never REALLY be done! :burnout:

True...:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 6533056)
Probably the best looking '68 on the planet!!

I'm glad you like it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by boynton (Post 6543078)
1 Do you have any "final" pictures of your shift linkage and what did you have to modify

2 Do you have any pictures of the back side of the pedal mod/were there any issues on the other side of the firewall or did you just use the original pedal bolts to hold it in (i observed a ~1/2" bolt at the top)

3 any final horsepower numbers:lol:

I am starting a 6.0 ly6/6l90 from a 2009 3/4 ton and these are a few loose ends I am trying to iron out. Your knowledge would be much appreciated!

This is one sweet truck. Mine will not be this nice but I am shooting for something in the same ballpark.

1. I used a LOKAR shifter (part number ACA-1801). I used this one because it is bent and offset by .5". I had to send the aluminum piece back to LOKAR to get it splined to work with the 6L80 shaft. You could probably use the ACA-1800 and just add a .5" spacer.

2. I didn't have to modify the pedal any. Its bolted to a flat bracket that bolts to the firewall using the 3 original nutserts that the original pedal bolted to.

3. It should be around 600+ RWHP

Quote:

Originally Posted by superflysteiny (Post 6546566)
Truck is turning out amazing

Thanks!

NewType72 02-28-2014 09:16 PM

very very cool brother rock on! :metal:

lchall 03-02-2014 10:15 AM

Would you mind sharing some details on your oil and transmission cooler setups? I would appreciate the info.

From some of the pics it looks like you are using a Derale heat sink cooler mounted under the core support for oil. Didn't see the transmission cooler setup.

Thanks - Chad

Hart_Rod 03-02-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewType72 (Post 6550376)
very very cool brother rock on! :metal:

Thanks, glad you like it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lchall (Post 6552930)
Would you mind sharing some details on your oil and transmission cooler setups? I would appreciate the info.

From some of the pics it looks like you are using a Derale heat sink cooler mounted under the core support for oil. Didn't see the transmission cooler setup.

Thanks - Chad

Chad - I don't have an oil cooler, just 2 transmission coolers. The engine originally came with an oil cooler, but I couldn't make it work with my motor mount setup. What I did on the transmission was run the hot side out of the tranny to the transmission cooler in the radiator, and then I ran the cold side out of the radiator to a dual pass heat sink cooler under the core support and then bank to the transmission. I'm not sure how much it helps (can't hurt right?), but I do know it gives me approximately another quart of capacity for transmission fluid.

lchall 03-02-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6553676)
Thanks, glad you like it!

Chad - I don't have an oil cooler, just 2 transmission coolers. The engine originally came with an oil cooler, but I couldn't make it work with my motor mount setup. What I did on the transmission was run the hot side out of the tranny to the transmission cooler in the radiator, and then I ran the cold side out of the radiator to a dual pass heat sink cooler under the core support and then bank to the transmission. I'm not sure how much it helps (can't hurt right?), but I do know it gives me approximately another quart of capacity for transmission fluid.

I'm pretty much thinking the same thing for the transmission cooler. Only thing different I was thinking about was adding a bypass thermostat for the extra cooler. That way the cooler in the radiator can help the fluid warm up faster and still try to maintain minimum temps. I don't know how much the added cooler, cools. Not sure if it'd make much of a difference, but its pretty cheap to add.

http://derale.com/products/coolers/a...unt-kit-detail

For the oil cooler I'm guessing you are talking about the stock cooler that came on the Camaro oil pan? I'm with you, I don't see a way to make it work with the slider mounts. I was thinking about trying something different with that, using a remote mounted cooler and an adapter. Not sure if you've looked at the ones from Improved Racing, but they have a thermostat built into them and AN fittings so you can mount a cooler wherever. They do have a version without a thermostat, too. Seems a little expensive and I'm not sure if its necessary to have an oil cooler anyway.

http://www.improvedracing.com/cooler...28e4c74df943c5

Thoughts?

Hart_Rod 03-02-2014 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you're scared, just say you're scared......:devil:

Hart_Rod 03-06-2014 01:33 PM

Getting ready to drop some coin on a new stall converter. Leaning towards a multi-disc 3000 stall.....

Hatzman 03-16-2014 12:12 AM

Hart Rod.... It took me THREE (3) days to read your 54 page thread... All I can say is... Wow... Your project is insane and you have given me several ideas for my new LQ9 engine swap. If you don't mind, I will begin picking your brain tomorrow. :D

Hart_Rod 03-20-2014 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatzman (Post 6577504)
Hart Rod.... It took me THREE (3) days to read your 54 page thread... All I can say is... Wow... Your project is insane and you have given me several ideas for my new LQ9 engine swap. If you don't mind, I will begin picking your brain tomorrow. :D

Thanks!

The new Circle D converter showed up today!!! :metal:

likaroc13 03-22-2014 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 4028047)
I've got a plan......:metal:.

You wouldn't want this ole piece of junk, :D.

Here's a couple pictures with the center caps on at our local Saturday night car show. PCMCobra allowed me to park next to him so I wouldn't feel so alone, :lol:. There was a nice LS1 67 step there also.

Was digging for pics of your Vintec wheels when I came across Post #377... looks like my old friend Gary is in the background of the first pic (top left)...last time I spoke to him was probably Spring 2010...sadly we've lost contact...if you run into him sometime, please tell him Phillip & Haley (my wife) said hello

BTW, the truck looks awesome! It has changed a good bit since I last saw it. Keep up the nice work. :chevy:

Hart_Rod 03-24-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 6589571)
Was digging for pics of your Vintec wheels when I came across Post #377... looks like my old friend Gary is in the background of the first pic (top left)...last time I spoke to him was probably Spring 2010...sadly we've lost contact...if you run into him sometime, please tell him Phillip & Haley (my wife) said hello

BTW, the truck looks awesome! It has changed a good bit since I last saw it. Keep up the nice work. :chevy:

Thanks! What does he drive?

likaroc13 03-24-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6591688)
Thanks! What does he drive?

I'm not sure what he has now. When we moved, he had a newer body style S-10 reg. cab that was pearl white & mildly customized. At the time, he was also working on a 73-87 Chevy pickup. I wanna say it was brown. Last time I spoke with him, he mentioned he gave the S-10 to his son.

Here's a better pic of him when we were at Cruisin' the Coast '09:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98543199@N05/12213724574/

beckmand78 03-24-2014 05:23 PM

subscribed.

SeTx67 03-24-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6585876)
The new Circle D converter showed up today!!! :metal:

What stall did you go with?

Hart_Rod 03-24-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeTx67 (Post 6592699)
What stall did you go with?

265mm Pro III 6L80E Torque Converter, 2800 Multi-disc:

http://www.circledspecialties.com/p-...converter.aspx

C10_ustacould 03-24-2014 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6592713)

Put that thing in yet?? ;)

Hart_Rod 03-24-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 6592739)
Put that thing in yet?? ;)

I'm waiting on my good friend from Niceville to come over......:lol:

C10_ustacould 03-24-2014 10:25 PM

I'm trying to go the way of the blister... show up AFTER the work is done! :lol:

SeTx67 03-25-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

2800 is a good choice for a Maggie

chevyguy_72 03-26-2014 08:42 AM

Just curious... why did you decide on this brand over others? Previous experience?

Quote:

Hart_Rod 03-26-2014 10:00 AM

Several friends recommended it.

C10_ustacould 03-26-2014 10:13 AM

Yep, Circle D is the best choice for LSx converters. Great prices, great products, and great customer service!