The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Rustbuket 67 build "Georgia" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=503533)

mcbassin 05-10-2012 11:11 PM

Re: Rustbuket 67 build "Georgia"

Rust repair looks good Dan. Nice progress.

67c10rustbuket 05-20-2012 12:16 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Okay here is the dirty on my floor, it is all done and I will try to include pics of the progress. I had a hell of a time with the floor patch panel. I cut it down as small as possible where I still had good steel in my original floors. I still had to section a chunk out and make a piece to fill it in right to match the pitch going down into the kick panel. any way here it is. I cut out the old, stripped to bare steel, replaced the firewall to floor edge piece that I made (worked out nice!!) sprayed some copperweld and went to town. cut it some more and welded some more... Loading more pics be right back..

67c10rustbuket 05-20-2012 12:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here it is all ground down and sanded and primed with some rattle can self etch prime for now. I finished and smoothed the kick panel and "A" pillar along with the floor section..

67c10rustbuket 05-20-2012 12:30 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More pics of the floor and kick panel....

67c10rustbuket 05-20-2012 12:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I scrapped the organ donor Tahoe and got $344 for 3440 lbs :metal:

I saved a few more parts to sell but CL sales are a little slow, but even so the old 'hoe paid for itself and then some so the drivetrain in my '67 is free and then some..

My daily driver (the light blue Z71 in the first pic) was not very happy pulling the load that weighed in gross at over 10,000 lbs with trailer and the 'hoe. She will be for sale soon. I love her but she's got to go. Pretty nice for a 20 yr old truck but I need something more reliable with less maintenance and most importantly... more convenient to get a 2 yr old into ;)

DD1 05-20-2012 12:44 AM

Looking good Dan. It looks like you put a few spot welds on the seam instead of welding the whole thing, right? Got your package today. Thanks again for sending it. Gonna try and get some work done tomorrow. Was busy trying to modify my air compressor today; broke it instead.

DD1 05-20-2012 12:50 AM

What is that lever tied up above the pedal?

67c10rustbuket 05-20-2012 12:58 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I decided to rebuild my original rear pillar behind the rocker because I was disgusted with the lack of quality of the LMC piece that I bought, it wasn't even close. Well I know no one will ever see it again but I went a little psycho on it at work... I sand blasted it, cut out all the rot, probably 60% or more of the original steel, replaced it with some new steel, sandblasted it again, had to form the lower edge on a "hand" brake and welded it all back together, sand blasted again after grinding and smoothing!!. Finally I had it powdercoated and it looks better than new. I should have this welded in tomorrow...

67c10rustbuket 05-20-2012 01:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here it is with some powder coat on it and a "test fit" shot, looks good I think..

67c10rustbuket 05-20-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD1 (Post 5390053)
Looking good Dan. It looks like you put a few spot welds on the seam instead of welding the whole thing, right? Got your package today. Thanks again for sending it. Gonna try and get some work done tomorrow. Was busy trying to modify my air compressor today; broke it instead.

Yeah thats right on the welding, the patch was so thin that i tack welded it starting about 4 inches apart, weld, move 4" weld, move... once you make it to the end go back to the starting point and add another tack weld, move to the next and so on. It is a long process for sure. No prob on the extra parts man, I had to refurb my compressor too and my local buddy "suspect" hooked me up with some parts so my compressor is kickin' butt now

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD1 (Post 5390055)
What is that lever tied up above the pedal?

That is the emergency brake ! isn't it fugly? that was a 1967-68 only deal, in 1969 up they moved it to the more traditional floor pedal "E" brake next to the kick panel. There are a few differences and more one year only features to the '67 model year. I like my odd ball and I think the hand operated "E: brake is pretty cool looking but kinda inconvenient if you need it in an "emergency".

67c10rustbuket 05-20-2012 01:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Once I mount the rear pillar that I re-made I will of course be adding the rocker and cab corner no later than a week from now !!! :metal::metal:

I considered re-using the original cab corner considering my experience with taiwanese parts so I took my cab corner to work and sand blasted it. well take a look. There weren't any holes in it when I cut it off.....

The Tri Plus cab corner is actually thicker than the original and seems to fit very well. The only flaw I have noticed is the radius around the seam to the pinch weld is different than original but no one will ever notice just me being anal I guess.

67c10rustbuket 05-20-2012 01:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just for fun here is a pic of the LMC rear pillar bottom... notice where the cab corner should be spot welded to, I can stick my finger in between the gap, no bueno !. Seriously LMC? Do you want to borrow my calipers to remeasure your piece? Also the outer flange is curved not straight as LMC has these formed. The flange that should mate to the holes in the cab support is not wide enough to accept the bolts from the cab support.

1st pic = LMC, bad

2nd pic = Dan, Good!!

67c10rustbuket 05-20-2012 01:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Also on the agenda for this week I have to fix this issue with the cowl vent rust. The piece I removed was bubbling with rust at the bottom seam where it was not draining properly so here is what I cut out and a (huge) patch I made to replace that section. I will sand blast and coat the internal surfaces with POR15 before welding in the new patch. The patch I made is a little oversized around the bottom edge and curve so I will just smooth that out once it is welded in place..

67cheby 05-20-2012 11:09 AM

Nice work
Posted via Mobile Device

Lower 05-20-2012 07:21 PM

I would say your panel looks way nicer than lmc's. Looks like your making some forward progress.

mcbassin 05-20-2012 08:00 PM

Nice work on the rust repair. Brings back some good memories.
Posted via Mobile Device

DD1 05-20-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket (Post 5390085)

That is the emergency brake ! isn't it fugly? that was a 1967-68 only deal, in 1969 up they moved it to the more traditional floor pedal "E" brake next to the kick panel. There are a few differences and more one year only features to the '67 model year. I like my odd ball and I think the hand operated "E: brake is pretty cool looking but kinda inconvenient if you need it in an "emergency".

The brake us certainly unique. I kind of like that it's different. I wonder how they ever came to be called emergency brakes, they are actually parking brakes. The only emergency it might help with is if your car was parked and started to roll and you happen to be close enough and quick enough to jump in and apply the parking brake.

DD1 05-20-2012 09:19 PM

Nice work on the inner cowl. That's the area that scared me the most about my original cab. Of course it needs more than just the panel you replaced; it was rusted through all over.

I am glad I did not order parts from LMC; I had read on here about people having problems; not too mention they are very expensive on a lot of parts. I ordered my parts from Classic Parts; guess I will find out soon enough how good they are.

67c10rustbuket 05-24-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5390470)
Nice work
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Mike! only 7 years to go :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lower (Post 5391157)
I would say your panel looks way nicer than lmc's. Looks like your making some forward progress.

Thanks Jon, It fit better too! pice coming up next!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5391224)
Nice work on the rust repair. Brings back some good memories.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey now, I wish it was a memory. I see the light at the end of the tunnel then I remember I still have to do the passenger side, doh!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD1 (Post 5391386)
Nice work on the inner cowl. That's the area that scared me the most about my original cab. Of course it needs more than just the panel you replaced; it was rusted through all over.

I am glad I did not order parts from LMC; I had read on here about people having problems; not too mention they are very expensive on a lot of parts. I ordered my parts from Classic Parts; guess I will find out soon enough how good they are.

Yeah "georgia" is a little scary sometimes but I was dumb enough to buy her and to stubborn to give up. I just take it one step at a time and we're making progress.

I Bought all my steel except that piece from classic in oklahoma city and well they were ok (tri-plus branded) but that lmc piece, Wow! wasted beer money I guess.. apparently Tri-plus doesn't make that piece but I found out Tabco does but I didnt want to wait so I re-made it myself. I have bought other parts from them but not rust repair and was fairly pleased but that one was very dissapointing.

67c10rustbuket 05-24-2012 10:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is my rear pillar piece that I installed today, not my prettiest welding but it works. Where did that goat come from ?? :lol:

67c10rustbuket 05-24-2012 10:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Then I bolted the pillar to the cab support through the inner rocker/floor. I will put a few welds on it once I set the door gap. Another test fit of the rocker and the rocker seems to fit very well so far but I will wait on another test fit of the door to make that call. with my old cab corner held in place all the gaps look nice though.

I haven't cut the replacement cab corner yet so I will see how that goes and make a choice there. You can see how my cab is about a half inch lower than the bed here (shot cab mounts) and that is what's holding me back on bolting in the trans mount and making any progress with the drivetrain. I will be addressing that and working on firing up the engine once I get some rollers on the front. Well and buying/making an exhaust system.. Later, Dan

67cheby 05-24-2012 11:17 PM

Lol, don't try to match my build time !! It is not for the weak at heart ! Lol, I think 5 of the 9 years were burnout periods !
Posted via Mobile Device

cubber 05-25-2012 01:44 AM

That is the emergency brake ! isn't it fugly? that was a 1967-68 only deal, in 1969 up they moved it to the more traditional floor pedal "E" brake next to the kick panel. There are a few differences and more one year only features to the '67 model year. I like my odd ball and I think the hand operated "E: brake is pretty cool looking but kinda inconvenient if you need it in an "emergency".[/QUOTE]

Apparently you've never ridden with ME.

Just wanted to say that I am at the beginning of my project, and your progress is inspiring. i have a 72 swb fleetside in a really similar condition to where you started. Luckily, I also have a retired buddy with a big shop who can out work most 20 yr olds. In fact, he just practically gave me a 69 swb stepside that is about as rust free as these trucks get (when you're buying one that hasn.t been off the frame. I have been working every day this week pulling the $3000 worth of stuff i put on the 72 (plus the 5 lug stuff) ang putting it on the "69. I didn't mean to be long winded, but I have been looking around on this site for a while, and when I saw a guy my age that was doing what I like to do, I thought that it was a good opportunity for my first post. Thanks for the inspiration.
Matt

bjcaldwe 05-25-2012 02:02 AM

Looking good man.