The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project: Montezuma (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=794479)

May70 11-22-2020 10:04 PM

Re: Project: Montezuma

If that is the cause then I can just put spacers on the mounts to level it out with the rest. I might be able to compare that measurement between the new and old pan, but the old pan is pretty rough.

May70 11-22-2020 10:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
On to the DS...

Think ive finished up the pillar. Next move is to make the final cut on the cab corner and make sure everything still where I want it.

Video taped it and will upload it to the channel.

Scurry67 11-22-2020 10:47 PM

Great work on all that metal work! I’ll be following along both on here and the vids. Keep up the progress!

May70 11-24-2020 05:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Okay! Got the cab corner cut to fit and mocked up nicely. Threw on the outer rocker and that is a MUCH better start then I had on the PS....

Burnt in the pillar and cleaner it up so I can seal it in place tomorrow and prepper the cab corner for sealing also. Tomorrow is the warmest day I have coming so I figured id use it...

After I get this all sealed and back together I should be about ready to post the video footage since the previous update. Moving right along....

JAKA 11-26-2020 09:51 AM

Wish I would've found this thread sooner. I also bought the high hump floor pan and have the same issues. I would've went with the regular floor pan instead. I chose a different route and bought another cab that's solid and doesn't need all the rust repair. I'm now trying to decide what I want to do with my original cab. Repair it all at a later date, sell it with what repair panels I have or part it out. Very informative post and keep up the good work. Thanks

May70 11-27-2020 07:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Read over the paint info and it requires no less than 65 for 24 hrs.... Well I couldnt hold off progress anymore so I borrowed two space heaters. Used the propane heater to get garage up to temp and the space heaters to maintain that area...

I jammed a screw driver between the pillar flange and the floor pan so I could get sealer between them.

Tomorrow ill be ready to tack the cab corner in place and keep rollin

May70 11-27-2020 07:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I also deleted the gas filler hole and cut out some of the firewall to fill....

KMC3420 11-28-2020 12:45 AM

Looking good. Glad you were able to spray some epoxy. The temps are slowly getting lower and staying there. I am at the same spot as you, however I need to sandblast and epoxy my cab corners but don’t see any 60+ degree days in the near future. Keep the progress moving.

May70 11-28-2020 10:15 AM

Yeah you are doing your work outside right? Might be problematic........ I saw some guys who use a cheap(ish) enclosed car tent and a propane heater. Definitely not efficient but it gets it done for them.

Also once it flashes you can always try the old heated blanket trick...

KMC3420 11-28-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by May70 (Post 8841922)
Yeah you are doing your work outside right? Might be problematic........ I saw some guys who use a cheap(ish) enclosed car tent and a propane heater. Definitely not efficient but it gets it done for them.

Also once it flashes you can always try the old heated blanket trick...

Yes, outside unfortunately. I am to the point I will likely haul it to where I am storing my frame, but might try to get a bit more done first. I have thought about the tent option but feel it would be a cluster. Trying to just be patient! Yours will be buttoned up pretty quickly!

May70 12-01-2020 12:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Drivers side cab corner tacked in place.

May70 12-17-2020 09:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Been very busy but some progress is better than none! Getting the DS rocker where I want it...

May70 01-17-2021 08:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Inner rocker fabricated and mocked up. Just need to tack it in place and cut off the bottom excess.

Getter-Done 01-17-2021 10:07 PM

Great work.
I watched the video.
Now I can see your plan for leaving the extra at the top. :metal:

May70 01-23-2021 12:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Trying to get the DS wrapped up...

Inner rocker is welded in and trimmed off at the bottom, need to do some finishing touches on the underside. I have been leaving some material along the weld seams on the underside to give it added strength.

The outer rocker needs the ends finished up and is held in place with clecos at the moment.

Been pretty cold lately and since I always have a big fan pulling fresh air into the shop when im welding/grinding....... I tend to be freezing!!

May70 02-12-2021 11:58 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Spend some time prepairing to get another cab to do some work on. Put some beam hoists up to let me suspend/lift cabs with. Also made another cab dolley.

Did some firewall work last night getting ride of that bump on the top of the firewall. Also started mocking up how I wanted to do the PS firewall to match the DS.... Thinking about buying a bead roller to make my own pieces..

May70 04-10-2021 08:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Drivers side is pretty much wrapped up. Got the rear pinch seam cut out and I decided to weld up all the holes in the floor pan lip where I had previously bolted/screwed the back of the cab to the floor pan. Cut the pinch weld seam panel to fit, drilled plug weld holes and sealed both pieces.

The only thing left as far as rust repair on my cab is to just weld in the rear pinch weld panel and the kick panels. Very happy with the results and it was definitely worth the time.

KMC3420 04-10-2021 10:49 PM

Great progress as always.

May70 06-11-2021 08:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I made some progress over the last few months. Floor pan is welded in all the way around. Rear pinch seam is finished off along with DS/PS.

Awesome to see the bracing out and that brand spanking new floor. Bottom 8 inches of the cab actually, is brand spanking!!

Not pictured but Ive got the DS lower kick panel in and am welding up that corner. Still need to do the PS.

Been real slow between life/work and the other cab. Weather has been too humid/wet here to do much paint work either.

Kronald_70GMC 06-11-2021 08:41 PM

The feeling you get once you can cut out the bracing is phenomenal. To see all that solid metal supporting itself after weeks or months of work is amazing! Keep it up:metal:

KMC3420 10-11-2021 11:12 AM

Hey May, hope life is treating you well. Curious on your plug welds. What size hole did you drill? I am to the point of putting my rockers on and haven't even thought about hole sizes. I did read 5/16" upon googling, but that seems a bit large. Curious what size drill bit you used? Thanks.

May70 10-11-2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMC3420 (Post 8982646)
Hey May, hope life is treating you well. Curious on your plug welds. What size hole did you drill? I am to the point of putting my rockers on and haven't even thought about hole sizes. I did read 5/16" upon googling, but that seems a bit large. Curious what size drill bit you used? Thanks.

I've been extremely busy and nothing too bad lately w/life. Just finished a floor pan/rockers/corners/pillars in bigmacs cab, hes supposed to be picking it up. Id like to get back to my truck but I have a whole list of things I need to do before that. Got a whole bunch of stuff that needs fixing around this place that are making matters worse by the day probably. Try not to think about it and just take one thing at a time. Cant even tell you the last time I "relaxed" was. Anyway...

I went a bit over 1/4". Less than 1/4" I found the hole was filling too quickly and I wasn't getting the penetration I wanted. Even by turning the feed down I still didnt like the results. Stepped up the hole size, amps and got good results. I use mig so that wouldn't be an issue with tig. 5/16 doesn't sound too far off but no larger.

Id say do a test and see how the penetration looks on the back side. You want really good penetration into the lower panel. Adjust settings or hole size to get acceptable results. Wire size etc will lend different results.

KMC3420 10-11-2021 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by May70 (Post 8982686)
I've been extremely busy and nothing too bad lately w/life. Just finished a floor pan/rockers/corners/pillars in bigmacs cab, hes supposed to be picking it up. Id like to get back to my truck but I have a whole list of things I need to do before that. Got a whole bunch of stuff that needs fixing around this place that are making matters worse by the day probably. Try not to think about it and just take one thing at a time. Cant even tell you the last time I "relaxed" was. Anyway...

I went a bit over 1/4". Less than 1/4" I found the hole was filling too quickly and I wasn't getting the penetration I wanted. Even by turning the feed down I still didnt like the results. Stepped up the hole size, amps and got good results. I use mig so that wouldn't be an issue with tig. 5/16 doesn't sound too far off but no larger.

Id say do a test and see how the penetration looks on the back side. You want really good penetration into the lower panel. Adjust settings or hole size to get acceptable results. Wire size etc will lend different results.

I can relate to your list of house items that are lingering...it never ends. I pressure washed my house this past weekend and that lead to me needing to do some gutter work, and then cleaning gutters..and then to cleaning windows, snow ball effect. Winter will be here soon though. I am using my mig, and am using a 1/4" drill bit as well. I had to crank up the amps after my first plug weld in order to get good penetration. I think I might step up 1 or 2 drill bit sizes to ensure I'm getting good weld on the bottom panel first, then do my circle to capture the top panel, or the @, starting in the middle. Appreciate the insight!

Getter-Done 10-11-2021 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by May70 (Post 8931416)
Well I made some progress over the last few months. Floor pan is welded in all the way around. Rear pinch seam is finished off along with DS/PS.

Awesome to see the bracing out and that brand spanking new floor. Bottom 8 inches of the cab actually, is brand spanking!!

Not pictured but Ive got the DS lower kick panel in and am welding up that corner. Still need to do the PS.

Been real slow between life/work and the other cab. Weather has been too humid/wet here to do much paint work either.

You have helped so many here on the Forum:metal:

Keep up the Great work:metal:

You even Inspired me to post (Video's) on my U tube Channel:uhmk:

ba2345 11-13-2021 01:35 PM

man this is cool to see all the work you have done to this old pickup got a 72 c20 that needs some of this tlc you are giving to this one i like how you picked it all up with the engine hoist.might need to buy me one as well.any ways good job on the pics a lot of good information on here that others can use especially me. It gives me a place to start