The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Sold American! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=752564)

davischevy 03-13-2020 11:34 PM

Re: Sold American!

So several trillion dollars left wall street in the last two weeks. Where did it go. Not back in my 401K.

BTW, the taxpayers paid (lost) $1.3 Billion to keep Chrysler in business.

kingsolver72 03-14-2020 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8694468)
Around 1990 I would not swim in the Hudson river. Let alone eat fish from it. Much cleaner now you can eat one fish a month and be safe

Sorry, I just keep thinking about George Carlin. He says he swam in the Hudson River when he was a kid. I think he was joking, not sure.
He did an act about 10 years ago on germs, immune system and viruses.
Funny and relevant for today.

Jrainman 03-14-2020 06:38 AM

Ok so I am a retired building trades union member, back in 2008 I was on a new sports stadium project that ran from 2006 and opened in 2010 , the first day I got on the job I went to the usual safety,drug testing and orientation ,I was told if your power tools were made by any other company then Makita send them back to your shop ,they will not be allowed on this project , I had to send back 2 gang boxes of power tools and the owner of the company had to replace every power tool with Makita branded tools , Most of all the tools that were replaced were Milwaukee power tools. and this was for every trade on the site we are talking hundreds of men with power tools.

FleetsidePaul 03-14-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrainman (Post 8694580)
Ok so I am a retired building trades union member, back in 2008 I was on a new sports stadium project that ran from 2006 and opened in 2010 , the first day I got on the job I went to the usual safety,drug testing and orientation ,I was told if your power tools were made by any other company then Makita send them back to your shop ,they will not be allowed on this project , I had to send back 2 gang boxes of power tools and the owner of the company had to replace every power tool with Makita branded tools , Most of all the tools that were replaced were Milwaukee power tools. and this was for every trade on the site we are talking hundreds of men with power tools.

It could have been worse. They could have said to use only Harbor Freight.

Dumb company rules. They used to make me sick when I was working. :bsf:

DeadheadNM 03-14-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8694487)
So several trillion dollars left wall street in the last two weeks. Where did it go. Not back in my 401K.

BTW, the taxpayers paid (lost) $1.3 Billion to keep Chrysler in business.

Each year tens of billions of dollars leave our economy in the form of remittances alone. Dated stats here that I believe understate the current totals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remitt..._United_States I’m wondering what if any mechanism of taxation is employed to keep any of these funds circulating stateside.

DeadheadNM 03-14-2020 10:04 AM

I’ve purchased several articles of clothing from this website - the tee shirts are really nice. I’ve been pleased with all the items thus far.

https://www.allamericanclothing.com/

1976gmc20 03-14-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8694468)
Around 1990 I would not swim in the Hudson river. Let alone eat fish from it. Much cleaner now you can eat one fish a month and be safe

Was the exhaust from brand new cars and pickups polluting the Hudson River in 1990 ?????

davischevy 03-14-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8694657)
I’ve purchased several articles of clothing from this website - the tee shirts are really nice. I’ve been pleased with all the items thus far.

https://www.allamericanclothing.com/

My brother frequents that site. He even works harder at buying American than I do.

GerhardH 03-14-2020 03:09 PM

What about german high quality tools:-)
At least me I'm interested in american stuff:-)

DeadheadNM 03-14-2020 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GerhardH (Post 8694841)

I’ve got some blades from Solingen that are good quality. Also have these German made work pants - I like these better than (no longer USA made) Carhartt pants.

kingsolver72 03-14-2020 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GerhardH (Post 8694841)

Best hook knife ever made. Been using Crain knives for 34 plus years.

YBNORML 03-14-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8694879)
I’ve got some blades from Solingen that are good quality. Also have these German made work pants - I like these better than (no longer USA made) Carhartt pants.

Carhartt used to an excellent work pant.

Now they fit like crap and don’t last much longer than a regular pair of jeans. Interested to pay for them anymore.

GerhardH 03-14-2020 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8694879)

Lol
Now back to good american stuff- was just joking.
Love my american truck and my american tools.

DeadheadNM 03-14-2020 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YBNORML (Post 8694889)
Carhartt used to an excellent work pant.

Now they fit like crap and don’t last much longer than a regular pair of jeans. Interested to pay for them anymore.

Try Round House work pants. USA made. I’ve got a set of their overalls and really pleased with them. https://www.round-house.com/

CG 03-14-2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8694984)
Try Round House work pants. USA made. I’ve got a set of their overalls and really pleased with them. https://www.round-house.com/

I've worn Levi button fly since the 70's.

Never heard of Round House. Prices look good, Ill have to try them out.
Thanks for the heads up.

DeadheadNM 03-14-2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 8695005)
I've worn Levi button fly since the 70's.

Never heard of Round House. Prices look good, Ill have to try them out.
Thanks for the heads up.

Me too. I still have my Levi’s denim jacket from high school. Used to have a Levi’s plant in Albuquerque.

Boog 03-14-2020 07:24 PM

I wore Levis in the 60s & 70s. They got too high and then went overseas and I never bought any more. I had not heard Carhart went that way though I only have a couple of winter coats of theirs.

DeadheadNM 03-14-2020 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8695030)
I wore Levis in the 60s & 70s. They got too high and then went overseas and I never bought any more. I had not heard Carhart went that way though I only have a couple of winter coats of theirs.

Carhartt still offers at least one style coat that’s USA made but you have to search for it on their website.

dajn 03-14-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8694166)
I was born eight years after the war ended and I still cringe when I hear about stuff made by Mitsubishi.

My biological father would have been parachuting into Japan but instead he just ended up in the occupation forces. But I didn't even learn about that until the 1990s. At least two of my now deceased rural neighbors fought on Iwo Jima.

My grandpa would have most likely been apart of the invasion force of mainland Japan. The estimates of how many Americans would have died in that invasion are astronomical. So maybe the atomic bomb saved his life and then obviously my life. Who knows. He ended up in Germany. But as far as japan and Germany I think it's easier to forgive them than other countries. Just look at China. They teach with propaganda to despise and hate the United states. Hate Americans. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. They celebrate karl Marx like he is a God. China is playing the long game. They still believe they can reach communist utopia, which is one of the dumbest ideas ever conceived. If I cant have made in America, I can live with made in japan or Germany. They are solid countries nowadays. America had to teach them a lesson first to get there. But sadly avoiding things from China is currently nearly impossible.

prairewolf 03-15-2020 03:41 PM

... I bought a used V-8 rwd Lexus so I could get to work and drive a Sterling dump truck for a living. can't get much more American than that. Lexus is a premium fuel only at the pump so life is simple and good that way. 2.55 a gallon today so a double win. for me anyway.

davischevy 03-15-2020 07:49 PM

I wear Made in America Redwing boots, and wore Carhartt jeans (not made in America) I got through the uniform program at work until recently.

I have three Carhartt coats that were made in America.

We had a Levi plant for years. I worked there after school when I was a teenager. It left and Flexsteel took that plant over. Flexsteel left last fall. We got a great office manager out of that deal.

I am wearing the Wranglers I have had for years now. I guess I'll have to shop when they are worn out.

davischevy 03-15-2020 07:54 PM

I pulled the air cleaner off my Corvette this afternoon and the crank case vent grommet broke. I went to O'Reilly and Autozone and the grommet's they had had "CHINA" printed on the top of the grommet.

I refused to buy the part. I went back and dug around in my stash until I found a good used one for now.

DeadheadNM 03-15-2020 07:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Red Wing is a nice town. I’ve got Red Wing Pecos boots, a moc toe hiking boot, and a Chelsea style boot.

Here’s my daughter at their headquarters last fall.

special-K 03-15-2020 08:40 PM

Are those silos full of boots?

Steeveedee 03-15-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8695750)
I pulled the air cleaner off my Corvette this afternoon and the crank case vent grommet broke. I went to O'Reilly and Autozone and the grommet's they had had "CHINA" printed on the top of the grommet.

I refused to buy the part. I went back and dug around in my stash until I found a good used one for now.

If you go to the dealership, just guess where that grommet will have been made?