The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Caps, toppers, camper shells - ONLY! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=718987)

Billhilly 08-07-2018 06:29 AM

Re: Caps, toppers, camper shells - ONLY!

2 Attachment(s)
This truck was on a local Ebay type deal. Didn't sell, and I'm trying to convince the guy the topper would look better on my truck! Any idea's of manufacturer/era? I think it look's fantastic!

special-K 08-07-2018 04:22 PM

I would venture to say that could have been built down your way. Never seen quite that style and to me it has an Aussie/ New Zealand flavor. There were stylish ones on the west coast in the day similar, so could be one of those I never saw. It sure is cool. I'd like to build one in that design. That truck needs Custom Camper/10 emblems. So cool! Would be perfect on a 60-66.

RDrancher 08-07-2018 05:02 PM

The angled side windows and double crank-outs do look pretty cool with the outline of the shell. Now it could just be my oldtimers setting in, but I don't think I've seen one like that before.

Hank49 08-07-2018 06:18 PM

Really cool looking truck, are you planning on taking it to the Ol'Marais River Run Car show on Sept 15-16? I'm planning on going and would love to see it.

jocko 08-07-2018 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Funky mid-70's camper shell :) I think he needs a slightly more beefy tire to handle all that added camper weight though.

70 shorty 08-07-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8316384)
It depends on condition. Our truck came from my parents-in-law. The shell was toast, and my FiL had put in broom handles and stuff like that to keep the roof of it from completely collapsing. My wife's work friends were all over it about replacing the bad parts. I put a car cover on it until she came to her senses. If yours has been out in the weather that long, it is probably junk, but who knows? Try and see if you can find a buyer!

I hate to say it because there's obviously some love for these toppers here, but I couldn't get mine off my truck fast enough! The only reason I've held onto it was in case I ever actually needed it, and then I'd take it right back off again.

Ol Blue K20 08-07-2018 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 8317719)
Funky mid-70's camper shell :) I think he needs a slightly more beefy tire to handle all that added camper weight though.

:lol:is that really a tire..:lol::lol:

Steeveedee 08-07-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70 shorty (Post 8317739)
I hate to say it because there's obviously some love for these toppers here, but I couldn't get mine off my truck fast enough! The only reason I've held onto it was in case I ever actually needed it, and then I'd take it right back off again.

I personally didn't want it either. I want to use it as a truck, not a camper. But it's what her family went camping in since '73, so it means a lot to her. Some things just aren't worth the candle, to argue about. I'd like to buy an old step side to use for all the knocking around town I do. I bought a new 2016 Kia Forte before I realized that I'd really rather just have an old truck. It doesn't even have to be pretty, just sound...and have AC, even if I have to put it in. It's hot around here!

jocko 08-07-2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70 shorty (Post 8317739)

I'm sorry, your post belongs in the 'I hate camper shells and toppers thread'.. ;) (Ha just kidding). Understand what you're saying - and 15 years ago, I probably would've said the same thing - but for some reason, there is a certain nostalgia associated with them for me from back when they were new, and a LOT of people added them to their trucks back then, even thought they eventually got rid of them. And you don't see them on many restored or hot rodded trucks, so maybe that's part of why they seem very authentic. Who knows.

jocko 08-07-2018 10:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I was trying to figure out a way to get this camper shell. Spoke to the owner, but had no way to go get it "today" (in North Carolina), so looks like it already sold, CL ad is gone. This was, by the way, exactly what I was looking for. Other than a little dirt, it looked pretty immaculate all the way around too. Price?? $50 :whine: Ugh.

EDIT: Just for the sake of future reference in case anyone is interested, the mfgr of this camper is "Continental" - pic #2 added for ref.

Hotcorner 08-07-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 8317820)
I'm sorry, your post belongs in the 'I hate camper shells and toppers thread'.. ;) (Ha just kidding). Understand what you're saying - and 15 years ago, I probably would've said the same thing - but for some reason, there is a certain nostalgia associated with them for me from back when they were new, and a LOT of people added them to their trucks back then, even thought they eventually got rid of them. And you don't see them on many restored or hot rodded trucks, so maybe that's part of why they seem very authentic. Who knows.

Agreed. Plus, I like to have it just in case. I’ll take them off when I want to “use it like a truck” and put it back on for a while for a change, camping, road trip, etc. Aluminum toppers are light and easy to remove and place on a temporary platform. . Just need to keep my goats off of it.
:lol:

Hotcorner 08-07-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 8317825)
Well, I was trying to figure out a way to get this camper shell. Spoke to the owner, but had no way to go get it "today" (in North Carolina), so looks like it already sold, CL ad is gone. This was, by the way, exactly what I was looking for. Other than a little dirt, it looked pretty immaculate all the way around too. Price?? $50 :whine: Ugh.

Bummer.

vweater2001 08-08-2018 03:29 PM

I'm looking for one for my 69 sidestepper, but doesn't seem like I'll ever find one...are any of these caps/toppers/camper shells just unobtainium now and for a good price?

jjzepplin 08-08-2018 04:59 PM

Has anyone ever made one out of a Blazer top? Would this work? I have an extra double wall... I think it would look good and be period correct.

Cali72K20 08-08-2018 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is really nice aluminum camper with a 69 GMC, I like that color combo. Not too bad on the price either being from the Bay area.

https://santamaria.craigslist.org/ct...665050902.html

Steeveedee 08-08-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vweater2001 (Post 8318191)
I'm looking for one for my 69 sidestepper, but doesn't seem like I'll ever find one...are any of these caps/toppers/camper shells just unobtainium now and for a good price?

I got mine from these guys. They will also do the retro style aluminum window frames...or at least get them from their source. They don't build them there. My wife wanted a more period correct shell instead of fiberglass. Maybe they can help you out. Not too far from you, either.

http://belairshells.com/

Cali72K20 08-08-2018 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Camper Shell - $600 (Simi Valley)

Shell was on a 1956 Chevy truck / short bed / step side

Size: 79.5" Long 65" Wide 30.5" Tall at front 33.5" Tall at rear 52"W x 25"H access door

https://ventura.craigslist.org/pts/d...645623491.html

ncpetersc 08-18-2018 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/i...cons/icon8.gif

Me and my truck in the background, circa 1976 I'd guess.

factorystock 08-18-2018 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tb612 (Post 8306192)
my 1972 all original rust free 70k miles. Story is original owner retired and went camping. Truck is out of Billings Montana and camper is by pacer out of Montana too.

Post 112. This one belongs in the time capsule thread. Clean and shiny original paint trucks are my definition of a time capsule . http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...capsule+thread

Already Gone 08-22-2018 12:46 AM

I know this one is on a 1978 Square body but the cap looks pristine.

https://missoula.craigslist.org/cto/...638735666.html

special-K 08-22-2018 07:32 AM

Very unique type of hatch door. Not a hatch door at all, but an overhead. Only thing I don't like about that is sometimes having the hatch open makes for overhead shelter from light rain getting inside. I'm not sure it's all that old, or at least the windows are newer than '60s. No mfgr's emblem, could be local custom build, but that door....? That's a 3rd brake light, makes me think it's newer. It would make a good small camper on one of these trucks.

Stephen717 10-07-2018 01:11 AM

Does anyone else have any pics like the caps on posts 138 and 168. Also pic one on post 73. I'm looking at getting a bed from Jeff (Jeff's bowties) and it has one similar to those that he said he'd throw into the deal. I couldnt find aiothers like it until those two posts

Already Gone 10-07-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen717 (Post 8358641)
Does anyone else have any pics like the caps on posts 138 and 168. Also pic one on post 73. I'm looking at getting a bed from Jeff (Jeff's bowties) and it has one similar to those that he said he'd throw into the deal. I couldnt find aiothers like it until those two posts

I posted the pic in 138 and yesterday went and had a closer look at the truck and that cap has full doors at the back.

RTHarvey 10-07-2018 06:56 PM

Hhmmm...I have been looking around for something for my 67 long stepside. In all these pics, I only saw one (Shaky) which confirms what I suspected--not common. Might have to widen my search area. ?

jocko 10-07-2018 08:50 PM

yes, that will be a hard one to find nationwide, incl Alaska and Hawaii, and a few other countries. I'd look nationwide if you aren't already.