The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

lower50's 08-03-2022 03:31 PM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

At least you didn't hurt the trans and it was just a seal and oil. Extra cooling won't hurt, do you have a trans temp gauge? The award video had a bunch of nice vehicles, yours looked great rolling through. Congrats again.

joedoh 08-04-2022 11:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 9107972)
I forgot to take pics but I had trans fluid burned/baked into the SS exhaust. The clean up effort of the bottom side of the Suburban was the worst part.

Marc

oh man trans spills/leaks are the worst. i had a tranny line let go in the driveway, turned out the PO didnt install the clip on the line. took about 40 lbs of floor dry.

youngrodder 08-04-2022 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 9108994)
oh man trans spills/leaks are the worst. i had a tranny line let go in the driveway, turned out the PO didnt install the clip on the line. took about 40 lbs of floor dry.

Ha ha, looks like a crime scene. At least it was a cheap fix.

I switched my lines over to flex with -6AN fittings. I did recently noticed they run close to the passenger side exhaust manifold. To keep them from burning thru and gutting myself of trans fluid, I ordered some heat wrap to protect those lines. I will install that before my 2 hr drive to next weekends show.

Marc

youngrodder 08-04-2022 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 9108666)
At least you didn't hurt the trans and it was just a seal and oil. Extra cooling won't hurt, do you have a trans temp gauge? The award video had a bunch of nice vehicles, yours looked great rolling through. Congrats again.

Thanks man..It was fun for my son (Austin) and I. No temp gauge. It worked fine on Tuesdays test drive but next weekend will be a better test.

Marc

mongocanfly 08-05-2022 12:15 AM

Marc, dont know why/how I never noticed it before... sliding rear side windows ..!!!..
Good deal on the "easy" trans fix..!!!!!

youngrodder 08-05-2022 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 9109237)
Marc, dont know why/how I never noticed it before... sliding rear side windows ..!!!..
Good deal on the "easy" trans fix..!!!!!

Yeah, I love the sliding back windows. Well worth the trouble. Air really moves thru the cabin. The window hardware is hard to come by so a lot of people go with 1 piece glass. I think my back back seat passengers appreciate the extra effort.

IDK if I would describe it as "easy" as we were on our backs trying to wrestle the trans back into place...ha ha

Marc

youngrodder 09-01-2022 03:15 PM

So I had been chasing a host of trans issues since July. I can say it is FINALLY fixed. What was a cut/broken wire in one of the 13 LS ECU wires for the trans caused issues that were hard to pinpoint. It was throwing random open electrical trans codes. I bet I drained the trans fluid a total of 5 times fixing and trouble shooting. I replaced both 1-2 shift solenoids.

This truck, for I don't know how long (probably from day one) was starting off in 2 gear due to the trans being in limp mode. It didn't drive terrible. Also in limp mode it prevents it from going into OD.

Once I repaired the wire, the truck was much more responsive starting off in 1st (who knew...ha ha). I can now do burn outs. During a test drive I noticed that once the trans went into OD with the TC locked there was too much timing (at lower speeds) in the tune and you could hear detonation. I took it back to the tuner to tweak the tune and adjust shift points slightly.

This last step from the tuner identified that I incorrectly wired in the brake switch to unlock the TC once I hit the brakes. Only an issue now that OD works and the TC engages.

THIS THING RIPS NOW....so much more fun to drive. It is louder as it accelerates in 1st and the RMP's come up. Also in OD it is so quiet and smooth.

We are hitting up a cars and coffee about 1:25 minutes from home on Saturday. I also plan to attend the C10 Nats in Nashville at the end of this month.

Marc

mongocanfly 09-01-2022 04:33 PM

That's sounds great Marc ...glad you got the bugs out

ajgriffin 09-01-2022 10:04 PM

Without video of a burnout….it never actually happened 😳

mongocanfly 09-01-2022 11:49 PM

Congrats Marc....!!!!!!!..totm..!!!

youngrodder 09-02-2022 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajgriffin (Post 9119589)
Without video of a burnout….it never actually happened 😳

'
Funny I was just talking with my son about filming that soon. He always rides with me an he noticed a real difference in performance so i had to show him that we can now do burnouts. He was riding shotgun when we did some donuts in the Camaro right before we pulled the drive train for the Suburban.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 9119610)
Congrats Marc....!!!!!!!..totm..!!!

Thanks, much appreciated.

Marc

Rickysnickers 09-02-2022 09:06 AM

Well done Marc :)

oldman3 09-02-2022 10:55 AM

Marc, glad that took care of your problem. I agree with the burnouts, it is so easy with the LS set-up. Have to watch myself to ease into the gas at stop lights, or it will lite up...Jim

joedoh 09-06-2022 01:24 AM

wooooooooooooooooo congrats!

youngrodder 09-06-2022 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickysnickers (Post 9119678)
Well done Marc :)

Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 9119714)
Marc, glad that took care of your problem. I agree with the burnouts, it is so easy with the LS set-up. Have to watch myself to ease into the gas at stop lights, or it will lite up...Jim

Soo much fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 9120848)
wooooooooooooooooo congrats!

Futurama: Fry's Woo - YouTube

Ha ha....Thanks

Marc

youngrodder 09-21-2022 09:15 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The Suburban is really working great. So much fun to drive with everything dialed in. We have been squeezing in as many car events and CnC's as we can as we are losing warm weather. Closing in on 6,000 miles. My boys and I will be attending the C-10 Nats in Nashville at the end of the month. Come say HI if you attend that show.

Thank you
Marc

57FleetsideC4 09-21-2022 09:31 AM

Glad you are enjoying your build. The season end soon in my area also. Steve

youngrodder 09-23-2022 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My 2 boys and I and a couple of buddies from Ohio and Pennsylvania are headed to the C10 NATS in Nashville at the end of the month. Looking forward to taking my boys to a big show in the Suburban.

Who else is going???

Marc

6DoF 09-23-2022 11:48 AM

i wish i could!

maybe next year i'll be able to drive the '55 down ... : crossesfingers :

youngrodder 09-23-2022 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 9127152)
i wish i could!

maybe next year i'll be able to drive the '55 down ... : crossesfingers :

I'm trailering for the first time. The other guys I'm going with are trailering. 8+ hrs is a lot with just me an my boys. I would like to do a long haul at some point tho.

Marc

joedoh 09-25-2022 09:13 PM

great stuff with the boys, are they interested in the building of your trucks too? my girls wouldnt pee on my projects if they were on fire, although one liked driving the finished trucks to school.

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 9126360)
we are losing warm weather.

we found it! it was 100 yesterday

youngrodder 09-26-2022 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 9127851)
great stuff with the boys, are they interested in the building of your trucks too? my girls wouldnt pee on my projects if they were on fire, although one liked driving the finished trucks to school.

Austin (15) is more into it then Cooper (17) but that has something to do with their ages. Cooper has a job and a busy social calendar. Austin enjoys working on and going to car events.

we found it! it was 100 yesterday

Ha Ha..I closed our pool on Friday. It was time. The weather will not be getting any warmer.

Thank you
Marc

Advanced Design 09-30-2022 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It was great to finally meet you Marc. Your Burb came out great!Attachment 2221647

youngrodder 10-04-2022 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 9129296)
It was great to finally meet you Marc. Your Burb came out great!Attachment 2221647

Thank you Doug. It was great to meet you and your wife. I will be looking for some Suburban progress soon from your camp.

Marc

youngrodder 01-30-2023 10:19 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Much like last winter, I started a winter to do check list. I have been picking off the items.

I have always had high crank case pressure with my LS set up. Delmo uses valve cover breathers on the vintage valve covers like mine to help with this. I had on on the passenger side so I added a 2nd one to the driver side. I also swapped out my oil cap/breather with a black AC Delco one that I thought looked better. This cap also looks to provide better venting than that last one due to the bigger holes. Kind of a win/win with the cap.

I also had an exhaust hanger break on the passenger side. When fabbing up exhaust we used some 1/2" SS tube I had laying around to make the hangers. This one has broken once before. I decided to remove the exhaust and replace both hangers with 1/2" SS rod. It wont break this time. My Friend Josh (JJH Jimmy on this forum) helped me with the fab work and tig work on the hangers.

Josh is one of the many people that I have met in real life from this forum. Everyone I have met in real life have been solid dudes. Josh has a nice lifted K5 Blazer, and he just completed a 4wd long bed lifted square body. He has an AD 5 window next on the list that I look forward to helping him with.

Marc