The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project: Blank Slate (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=353633)

Boomerswany 08-17-2009 05:11 PM

Re: Project: Blank Slate

Nate,

It looks soooo nice! Any plans for a c-notch? How's the pumpkin clearance. Plus you didn't mention how the alignment went. What's next?:metal:

Becker67 08-17-2009 05:18 PM

I really like your survior truck. I think they look so cool dropped. I bought a 69 survivor short bed back in november and put a 4/6 drop on mine to.

72BlckButy 08-17-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomerswany (Post 3469544)
Nate,

It looks soooo nice! Any plans for a c-notch? How's the pumpkin clearance. Plus you didn't mention how the alignment went. What's next?:metal:

No, I'm not planning on running a c-notch as I want to be able to return it to stock if need be... not that it's likely. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becker67 (Post 3469569)
I really like your survior truck. I think they look so cool dropped. I bought a 69 survivor short bed back in november and put a 4/6 drop on mine to.

Your '69 is nice, and I agree with you about lowering these trucks, nothing looks better. Glad to have you aboard!

70k52wd 08-17-2009 06:54 PM

Return it to stock if need be.:lol:
I love this site, always good for a chuckle.
You know it will go lower...eventually.:metal:

gcburdic 08-17-2009 08:33 PM

Nice looking wheels Nate!!....Now get those things mounted up!!!LOL

So the alignment guy was old school, right??...No 'puter did the alignment, right?!?!?!

brn agn 08-17-2009 09:32 PM

Your truck is looking better and better! Seeing pictures of Putnam Chevrolet brings back memories of me cruising up and down Hwy 50 on a Friday night when I was a teenager. Thanks for sharing!

72BlckButy 08-18-2009 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70k52wd (Post 3469764)
Return it to stock if need be.:lol:
I love this site, always good for a chuckle.
You know it will go lower...eventually.:metal:

I figured some of you guy's would get a kick out of that, once you go down, you never turn around. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcburdic (Post 3469957)
Nice looking wheels Nate!!....Now get those things mounted up!!!LOL

So the alignment guy was old school, right??...No 'puter did the alignment, right?!?!?!

Actually, they did hook it up to a computer, but he did have to put a personal touch on it. As with having a steering box with 97k miles on it, the system was a little loose, so his alignment skills were tested a little. Tommy knows what he is doing though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brn agn (Post 3470086)
Your truck is looking better and better! Seeing pictures of Putnam Chevrolet brings back memories of me cruising up and down Hwy 50 on a Friday night when I was a teenager. Thanks for sharing!

I figured a couple of those shots might ring a bell for you. You couldn't beat Friday night in California, cruisin' up and down Hwy 50. Good times! :D

72BlckButy 08-18-2009 08:00 AM

As I mentioned before, this weekend I was able to shoot a couple coats of paint on the wheels, headlight bezels, as well as the center caps. Here's a list of the products I used for this process:

Duplicolor Etching Primer
Duplicolor Primer
Krylon Satin Paint
Krylon Metallic Paint (1403)
ScotchBrite pads (Red, Gray, White)
Blue Painters Tape

I will try to get a shot of the items posted up tonight.

72BlckButy 08-18-2009 08:02 AM

5 Attachment(s)
We will start with the headlight bezels:

Attachment 488388

Attachment 488389

Attachment 488390

Now there's a lot of steps involved which aren't pictured and those include:

Sand, Etching Primer, Sand, Primer, Sand, Primer, Sand, Paint, Sand, Paint, repeat until happy :D

And here's what they look like now (sorry for the quality):

Attachment 488391

Attachment 488392

72BlckButy 08-18-2009 08:06 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The same steps which were used above, were also used on the rallys. Here's a shot of the wheels after being primed:

Attachment 488393

Attachment 488394

Here's a shot of the wheels after all the prep, sanding and final coat. I am not 100% satisfied with how they turned out, so I might break out the sanding pads this weekend and try to satisfy by crazy mind. :D

Attachment 488395

Attachment 488396

Attachment 488397

72BlckButy 08-18-2009 08:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
While waiting for the wheels to dry, I pulled off all four caps and commenced prep/paint on the lower part of the cap. Here's how they turned out:

Attachment 488398

Attachment 488399

Attachment 488400

72BlckButy 08-18-2009 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to DMARCUM123 for being willing to trade a few parts, Blank Slate received some new items that are waiting to be installed. A while back he spoke up that he would be willing to swap my radio delete and shoulder harness plugs for a set with original light green paint on them. After shipping him my pieces and him returning his pieces to me, here's what I received on Saturday (sorry for the quality of the picture):

Attachment 488401

The color matches perfectly, thanks again DMARCUM123!

OARNGESI 08-18-2009 08:20 AM

why the delete plate didnt you just put a radio in

72BlckButy 08-18-2009 08:22 AM

Mainly just to have since it was original paint. :D

lolife99 08-18-2009 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What's wrong with this picture???;)

70k52wd 08-18-2009 09:07 AM

Maybe I used them wrong, but I'm still a fan of sandpaper over scotchbrite pads. The pads seemed to leave the surface scratched looking. Paper makes things smooth. jmo.

70k52wd 08-18-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3470736)

The stickers are not stock style, but look good. They all have six lug holes, three hold down screw holes. Not sure what's wrong. They look fine to me.:lol:

splehigh 08-18-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3470736)

The only thing I see that might be wrong is the upper right sticker looks like it has a small imperfection. It may be just a reflection though. Other than that they look good! :metal:

lolife99 08-18-2009 11:42 AM

Nate has new set of GM "center cap decals" he's hiding,...

72BlckButy 08-18-2009 01:37 PM

Keith is right guy's... I do have a nice new set of GM center cap decals to replace the cross flags. In my opinion.... :rolleyes:.... I would like to find a nicer set of caps for the decals since they are in perfect condition, but I've been told they are about as nice as I will ever find so mount them up! After a little more cleaning on the center caps the stickers will be mounted and you guy's will have some more pictures to look at. :D

72BlckButy 08-18-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70k52wd (Post 3470765)
Maybe I used them wrong, but I'm still a fan of sandpaper over scotchbrite pads. The pads seemed to leave the surface scratched looking. Paper makes things smooth. jmo.

I used sand paper and scotchbrite pads during the process, and the only issue I had with the sand paper was that it seemed to rub off on the edges before I ever got to the actual desired sanding area. Then again, this is my first attempt to actually make something look real nice while using a rattle can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70k52wd (Post 3470786)
The stickers are not stock style, but look good. They all have six lug holes, three hold down screw holes. Not sure what's wrong. They look fine to me.:lol:

Nothin' wrong with 6-lug caps... :lol:

70k52wd 08-18-2009 04:07 PM

From the sound of it, are those stickers rare? Blue or gold bowtie? Pic, or are you not wanting to spoil the unveiling?

I ran these forever until cats pissed them till ruined.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...S/IMG_1629.jpg

Metal caps and spinners. I love the stickers, haven't ever seen them on any other car/truck. I'll sand the spinners, apply black and see what they look like on the short caps, if they fit. I would rather have them shiny new chrome.;)

powell72 08-18-2009 04:27 PM

So.......are the wheels on the truck yet???

What about now???

What about now??? :D

lolife99 08-23-2009 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jackpot!

I found the "needle in the haystack!"

Actually I found four of them.
I went to a huge swap meet this weekend in Springfield, MO and found these beautys. I originally thought the owner knew what he had by his price,... then I realized he was talking about 4 wheels not 2. (two of them were hidden from view)
So,... Nate now has his two rallleys (the super rare 15x7 6-lug version) to replace the two he borrowed from member "hot trux",... and I have two to keep or maybe sell on here (if there is some serious interest).
I think Nate was as stoked as I was.

westofb 08-24-2009 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 3471131)
Keith is right guy's... I do have a nice new set of GM center cap decals to replace the cross flags. In my opinion.... :rolleyes:.... I would like to find a nicer set of caps for the decals since they are in perfect condition, but I've been told they are about as nice as I will ever find so mount them up! After a little more cleaning on the center caps the stickers will be mounted and you guy's will have some more pictures to look at. :D

Nate,
If you are needing some better center caps...check out these..
http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com...4&prevstart=16
Yes I know they are plastic but they look great, ordered a set myself, and since you have the decals...you could put them over the hideous 4x4 emblems and have a nice set of center caps for your wheels. Installed on the ralleys they look oem...at a bargan price!
Jeff