The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Palf's Little Blue Jimmy (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=754899)

Palf70Step 04-25-2021 06:39 PM

Re: Palf's Little Blue Jimmy

4 Attachment(s)
After finally getting some rods, jets and springs in , plus all this rain getting done, I was able to continue my tuning on the ole Edelbrock carb. Seems like I finally found the sweet spot and it runs good. I was really nervous at messing it up, but She is running smooth. Definitely not an economy thing. The 250s never were that great, but I am back to getting what I did before the rebuild/hop-up. at 70-75 cruising it seems to be about 11 with the AC on, 13-14 without AC. Not to bad for an aero cinderblock with crappy rear gears (2.73) and an automatic.

I am still glad I kept the 6, but I think if I ever redo it, I'll got with a V8. Now it is just drive it. Once the rain left us yesterday, I got some good behind the wheel time. Love cruising the ole dude.

OutlawDrifter 04-25-2021 08:55 PM

Sounds like you're getting it dialed in!

Palf70Step 05-23-2021 02:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Good stretch of the legs yesterday and today. Took the truck for a club meet in northern Louisiana (300 ish miles) She cruised real good and no breakage, while sort of. Looked down after a fuel stop and noticed something a bit a miss. Guess I need to dig thru my stuff for another pointy thing.

Here is some pictures from the stuff that was there.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UvAmHJxM45RPrPnc9

Palf70Step 05-29-2021 05:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The drivers side window regulator finally gave out. Got the new one and rubbers in yesterday so I tackled it today. Had to remove all the guts as rubbers were also damage and it made for the use of less "adjectives" during the work process, although several were used especially during the disassembly. It has been a while (15 or so years) since I done one with manual windows.

Everything out (1st & second pic). The regulator was so tight even multiple lubes wouldn't help free it up to work smooth.

Cleaned the window track part up and lube it up with lithium grease.

The new one was hard to find (everyone back ordered, but found one on ebay. It seems good. Hopefully China doesn't bite to bad on this one. (Pic 4).

All back together with new rubbers and felts. (pic 5).

Later I got the inside panels on and all seems to be well in the world again.
Next is seeing if I can change out the speedo pointy thing.

OutlawDrifter 05-29-2021 07:03 PM

It's amazing how well a good working manual window works! The ones in my old '79 K10 almost went up and down on their own.

Hart_Rod 05-30-2021 12:17 AM

Looks great Bill! I like the manuals personally, but I'm old school...

Palf70Step 05-30-2021 07:31 AM

I do too, but the newer vehicles electric ones are easier to change out.

Boog 05-30-2021 08:26 AM

Things were much simpler back then. I recently replaced the lift mechanism in the least used door on my 06 crew cab. It's a cable and pulley system for crying out loud!

Palf70Step 06-08-2021 11:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
As mentioned in an earlier post, my speedometer needle broke from all the bouncing it did because of the speedo cable (that is my guess since lubricating it a while back helped for a short while). I got into the dash today and pulled out the speedo. I had an extra needle, but my guess is it is from a 67-72 era speedo as the mount was wrong. I decided to just swap out the whole unit with a spare I had. I wanted to kinda keep the original since that is the correct mileage, but I was afraid I would break the pointer removing it. So swap the buggers out. Marked the original mileage on the back of the newer speedo. She's all back in just awaiting the arrival of the new speedo cable. Hopefully by this weekend.

So now I got a working winder again and hopefully a working (though slightly off) speedo.

OutlawDrifter 06-08-2021 11:20 AM

It's always a gamble when dealing with the needles Bill!

One of the many reasons I would rather do a cluster swap in a 95+ GMT400, you can swap the odometer over very easily.

Palf70Step 07-07-2021 01:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Haven't been able to do much but drive it lately, and not that much because of the weather and house work. Between all our downpours I had a bunch of trees trimmed and cleared out around the 81's house, otherwise know as my shop. I got so tired of cleaning up what seemed like tons of acorns every year, so now they are out of the way.

Also the old Dodge daily was acting up and I didn't like it enough to put more money into it, so it went to a mopar guy and I picked this little ride up. Tied for the newest daily driver I have ever had. My rice-a-roni ride, 2006 Nissan Frontier. Could not find a regular cab Chevy/GMC that was worth the money or had less than a gazillion miles on them.

If it every quits raining enough, I'll get the 81 and the Nissan shined up good. Maybe next week will be dry.

OutlawDrifter 07-07-2021 01:03 PM

I'm sure it will make you a good DD Bill!

Wife and I picked up a Tacoma crew cab for her daily, has been a great pickup.

Corts60 07-11-2021 10:51 AM

I had a tundra daily driver a long time ago and I loved it. Great ride, comfortable.

I’m sure the Nissan will do you just fine. Also great work on that regulator. Messing with the windows in these things is my least favorite task on the whole truck.

Palf70Step 07-23-2021 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing big. Took the old Jimmy out of shop so I could work on the Rice-a-Roni in shade and with a fan blowing air. Stretched the legs out on the 81 also by going to a lunch meet up with some car folks.

Palf70Step 10-03-2021 07:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Today started our 8 day event know as Cruising the Coast. So for the next 8 days I get to hang out with 9K+ classic and cool vehicles. Had some light showers earlier today, but it looks good. Too many photos already to go thru, but here is a couple
My 81 Stepside
Couple of our club members
HuggerCST's 70
Bowtie468's Big 10 Squarebody
Ernie' (Kinda could ir ustacould something like that) son 68 Stepside
and Just a cool dually I saw.

Its going to be a good week!

62 short step 10-03-2021 08:04 PM

See y'all Wednesday!

LT7A 10-04-2021 11:01 PM

Cool! I look forward to hearing and seeing more.

Palf70Step 01-19-2022 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, time to end the chapter on this one. I really don't have time or place for 2 projects, so she is off with thenew owner in LA. Now I can focus on the 70.

Rich84 01-19-2022 03:14 PM

Sorry to see her go. Good Luck with the 70.

OutlawDrifter 01-19-2022 03:49 PM

Another one sent back to the wild!

Good luck on the project!

Corts60 01-19-2022 07:59 PM

Hate to see a sweet little truck like that go Bill, but I’m sure the new owner will treat her right. I wish I could’ve kept all my trucks!!

LT7A 01-24-2022 02:39 AM

Oh man, you're stronger man than me. I can't never sell any of my rides, and that was such a tidy one. Simple and clean and you kept it so well. Okay though, time to move on. I look forward to following your efforts on the new 70.