The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   crew cab short bed build " clifford" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=491551)

rs72z 12-31-2011 05:46 PM

Re: crew cab short bed build " clifford"

3 Attachment(s)
I took a few pics with the bed on just to see what it was going to look like. Dont pay any attention to the gaps at the cab and bed. The bed is setting on the gas tank bracket that i need to trim.
I also got the roof all stripped today. If i feel like it tomorrow ;) i will try and get it in primer.
Happy New Year to everyone.
Then tis guy shows up trying to make my ride look bad:lol:

rs72z 12-31-2011 07:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of pics of the LMC trim.

Dieselwrencher 01-01-2012 03:32 AM

Man, that looks great! I can't wait to see this thing all done! By the way, do you need my addy to send my car back? :lol:

rs72z 01-06-2012 09:04 AM

Well, progress has been slow with the holidays. Trying to get going on it again and i have made a little progress.

I got the rockers patched and body work done on them.

Roof stripped, wow what a biotch that was. I ended up using aircraft stripper on the roof to get the paint and primer off. Then it had surface rust on it. I used a acid on it to kill the rust. Then i drilled some holes through the inne structure and used semi expanding spray foam to stiffen the roof so i could block the roof without it bouncing around.

Body work on cab corners done and all the jambs sanded and ready for primer.

Hopefully i will get it in primer Sunday, i have to work at our youth park on a baseball field that we are redoing for the spring on Saturday.

I will add some new pics after i get to work today.

rs72z 01-06-2012 10:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Not much to look at but here you go.

Pop's C-10 01-06-2012 11:06 PM

that looks killer..

rs72z 01-06-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pop's C-10 (Post 5106482)
that looks killer..

Thanks.
I sure would like to see paint on the cab by next weekend

rs72z 01-08-2012 05:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have been at since about 9:30 this morning and just sprayed the first coat of epoxy primer. I sure am ready to have this cab painted, it seems like it's taking forever to get ready. if i get the time this week to block it maybe i can spray it next weekend.

Conundrum 01-08-2012 08:37 PM

Awesome! It's moving along nicely.
Posted via Mobile Device

rs72z 01-08-2012 08:49 PM

Thanks. Still not going fast enough.

Dieselwrencher 01-09-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rs72z (Post 5110361)
Thanks. Still not going fast enough.

That's great progress. That's a lot of cab to try and get ready. I know your pain and have to do mine soon as well. Not looking forward to it either.

rs72z 01-09-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5111216)
That's great progress. That's a lot of cab to try and get ready. I know your pain and have to do mine soon as well. Not looking forward to it either.

Thanks Ryan

I thought i could finish up a couple of spots and have it prime by early afternoon, i ended up getting home at 5:30.
Maybe i can find time to block and reprime this week so i can paint it over the weekend.

I need to move it along, my oldest son starts practicing baseball this week that's a hour & half drive one way. They will start playing some time next month, that will wipe out the weekends.

rs72z 01-12-2012 10:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Looks like i will have the cab ready to shoot this weekend after all. I cheated and paid one of the guys that works for us to stay late the last couple of nights and help with the sanding. I dont mind sanding big areas but when you get to the tedious sanding in the jambs i hate doing it.

Dieselwrencher 01-12-2012 11:20 AM

That's great man! I hate that doing jambs, and doing inside body panels as well! It seems you never can get in all the dang crevices. But it's that detail in that sanding that can make or break the paint job, as you already know.

rs72z 01-14-2012 07:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well boys i now have a painted cab! I started on it at 11:30 this morning and just finished at 5:00!
I tell you what that's a lot of cab to paint for a guy that has never painted before this project. I have been in the buisness for 12 years and this is my first overall paint job.
Here's some pics for all the pic ho's.

rs72z 01-14-2012 07:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
more

classicchev 01-14-2012 07:45 PM

Looks great, I agree its a lot of cab to spray. I could not even shut the doors to the booth.

My wife actually named my crew Clifford also, do you know the "story" about Clifford the big red dog!!! My truck fits the story well..

Isn't the roof fun to spray, I actually set up a scaffold on both sides to reach the centre of the roof.

Darren

joe231 01-14-2012 08:00 PM

Very nice!!
Posted via Mobile Device

rs72z 01-14-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicchev (Post 5123045)
Looks great, I agree its a lot of cab to spray. I could not even shut the doors to the booth.

My wife actually named my crew Clifford also, do you know the "story" about Clifford the big red dog!!! My truck fits the story well..

Isn't the roof fun to spray, I actually set up a scaffold on both sides to reach the centre of the roof.

Darren

We bought a new booth a few years ago just because the new crew cabs were to long to fit in the booth.

We have some aluminum stand that we use to spray roofs. Man you are give out from leaning out over the roof by the time you get done.

rs72z 01-14-2012 08:22 PM

Thanks Joe

mrhino 01-14-2012 08:48 PM

looks great! love the color too.

scottco 01-14-2012 09:01 PM

Great job !!!!!!

higgiec10 01-14-2012 11:51 PM

Looks nice

Conundrum 01-15-2012 03:19 PM

Looking great man!
Posted via Mobile Device

rs72z 01-15-2012 08:08 PM

Thanks guys.

Now i can get back on the doors. The body work is done on 2 of the doors and just need to be long boarded and reprimed. One of the other 2 doors is aboit half done with body work.
I also rebuilt the front door hinges this week.