The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   O.D.B. - COVID Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=820460)

chaseman17 04-07-2021 06:14 PM

O.D.B. - COVID Build

5 Attachment(s)
Wanted to share my COVID build... Ole Dirty Bastard... ODB!

ODB is a combination of two trucks. The bed is from a 1969 C30 wrecker that we rescued from the crusher in December of '19. The truck had fantastic patina, but was pretty rusty, but was just too cool to let it get crushed. We got it out of the elements and cleaned it up and it sat for roughly a year.

The Holmes hook assembly was very cool, but it was very heavy and in rough condition. I sold it to a rat-rod buddy of mine who will give it a nice new home. The bed is what had my attention. It was fantastic & the foundation for a neat and different kind of build.

When COVID hit, I knew I needed a project, so I got the C30 out of storage and took it apart. The bed had wonderful patina, so it was the perfect foundation for a complete patina build. Ultimately, the cab for the wrecker needed a complete rebuild due to rust... that means paint & shiny parts... not patina!

A hunt for a rust free cab led me to a rust free 1970 C10 out of Tucson, AZ that had even better patina than the C30 did! It was rust free, running and driving & after striking a deal to purchase it, it arrived at my home in Michigan less than a week later.... let the fun begin.

chaseman17 04-07-2021 06:46 PM

Re: O.D.B. - COVID Build

5 Attachment(s)
Once removing the bed from the C30, we cut out the steel floor in an attempt to reduce overall weight & simply make it easier to move around. A friend of mine helped out getting it "square" again and we built a nice inner structure to mount the bed to the frame and support a new wood floor.

While that was happening, I cut the frame of the C10 in half and stretched it 6" to accommodate the different wheelbase the bed came from. I looked at how people shorten frames and basically did the same concept. A local sheetmetal joint made me some internal and external sleeves and it went together well. The sleeves are welded and bolted into place.

chaseman17 04-07-2021 07:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A quick text to Boris at Street Machinery and he was gathering parts we needed to install 4 corner air ride, drop spindles and front disc brakes. For some unknown reason, the Arizona C10 had an 8 lug front end. It was nice to get the front end converted back to 5 lug and have the whole truck sitting a bit lower to the ground!

This is the second time I have done air ride on a C10 & everything went pretty smooth. No major issues, just the normal busted knuckles.

We hid the air compressor inside the patina Jerry Can that is mounted in the bed. The patina of the can was a perfect match & dimensionally, the compressor fit in without any major issues. We have some expanded metal covering the hole where the compressor was installed so that it gets good ventilation. Sticking with the hidden theme, the air tank is hidden inside the tool box in the bed as well.

chaseman17 04-07-2021 07:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
With the air ride complete, it was time to rebuild the original wrecker dually wheel wells. They were original to the bed and integral to the build, so we quickly came up with a new way to mount them and lift them up higher to accommodate the lower stance.

With the wheel wells done, it was time to mount up the wheels and tires. Fortunately, I had ordered up some Detroit Mob Steel wheels three months prior, so they arrived in perfect time. I bought 20" x 8 for the fronts and 20 x 12 for the rear. The Delray's came in raw steel and a friend powder coated them satin black for me.

The chrome center caps had the right look but were waaaaay too shiny for this truck. I tossed them around in the rocks, dented and scratched them, then hit 'em with the sandblaster. After that, a combination of white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide and salt and they "aged" quite quickly.

That is pretty much it for now. Next winter, I hope to do the engine compartment and interior, but for now, it is shake-down summer for ODB!

chaseman17 04-07-2021 07:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
For me, a build like this takes help from those who are far more talented than I. I am thankful for friends who enjoy a common hobby and are willing to lend a hand when needed.

Mason, Jim, Tony & Farmer Dave were the COVID support team for ODB.

I am also thankful that my son Mason (@mustangmason) is a wonderful photographer and provides me with some cool shots throughout!

We have made one drive with ODB and the Slambulance together. it was pretty funny to see the faces of folks as we cruised by. There is no gray area as it relates to ODB. People either "get it" or they think it is a total piece of dung. We live in W. Michigan and there are not many patina vehicles around, so it is pretty funny to watch peoples reactions.

More info on my instagram account if interested. @b2chaseman

Thanks all

LockDoc 04-07-2021 08:19 PM

-
Looks good! I'm pretty short so that truck would fit me great....:).. Thanks for taking us along for the build.

LockDoc

yuccales 04-07-2021 08:25 PM

ODB turned out great!

LT7A 04-07-2021 08:56 PM

Great foresight to think of what could be done with a bed from that tow truck. Both of those vehicles are really cool.

slikside 04-07-2021 08:59 PM

Really cool, you did a great job with it...Slambulence too!

I especially like the creative touches for hiding the compressor and tank.
Awesome!:chevy:

BigBird05 04-07-2021 09:08 PM

Tell me more about the Slambulance!. I bought a 70 a few months ago but still have been unable to get it home. It has been raining so much that we can't get back into the woods tell everything drys out.

dmjlambert 04-07-2021 10:29 PM

Wow, those trucks are just super. What talent and vision you have!

chaseman17 04-08-2021 06:48 AM

BigBird05... here is a link to a post on the Slambulance.

Basics: 1969 3-door suburban ambulance. 4 corner air ride. Billet Specialty 20" smoothies. 6.0 liter LS with 6L80E transmission.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=722400

Thanks for the comments!

72ironmike 04-08-2021 07:27 AM

Nice Job !

Mapearso 04-08-2021 10:06 AM

That's a great build. I haven't seen anything like it. Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Chevys4life 04-08-2021 04:57 PM

Damm................those are some cool rides you have there. I'm glad I read your post before I asked my question about that sweet ambulance!!!!

Ol Blue K20 04-09-2021 11:44 AM

It looks good, whoduh thunk that a Holmes body would be so cool!

Big Kev-O 04-09-2021 02:22 PM

ODB and the Slambulance deserve Truck of the Month! Those are two of the coolest trucks on this forum. People who look at ODB and don't understand can just get back in their Prius and continue sucking at life. Nice work! Your son takes some outstanding pictures. He could probably turn that into a lucrative career.

Thanks for sharing.

72Teeroy 04-09-2021 08:30 PM

Wow love it! Great job

dmjlambert 04-09-2021 09:23 PM

I know I already said Wow, but I keep coming back to this thread and staring at the pictures. I think I need to see more pictures of O.D.B. please. Just not enough here.

chaseman17 04-10-2021 06:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank all for the awesome comments, I really appreciate it!

Here are a couple iPhone photos from today... drizzly day out, so just a quick ride to NAPA for a few things, but swung by a cool old building downtown for these pics.

For those looking for more photos, check out my instagram @b2chaseman & my son posts his magical photos on his instagram @mustangmason

Have a nice weekend!

chaseman17 11-16-2022 04:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some updated photos of the 'Ole Dirty Bastard (ODB) now that we have completed the build.

Since the last post, ODB has a freshly rebuilt engine, Holley Sniper EFI, Vintage Air, tilt wheel, detailed engine compartment and completely fresh interior... and a '73 Triumph Bonneville Bobber in the back.

The responses to this build are hilarious. People either love it or won't even look at it!

Photos courtesy of my son @mustangmason (Instagram).

guyryan100 11-16-2022 04:27 PM

The photography is really next level, btw.

chaseman17 11-16-2022 04:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More photos from @mustangmason

chaseman17 11-16-2022 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyryan100 (Post 9145363)
The photography is really next level, btw.

Thank you. I will let my son know!

SCOTI 11-17-2022 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaseman17 (Post 9145360)
Some updated photos of the 'Ole Dirty Bastard (ODB) now that we have completed the build.

Since the last post, ODB has a freshly rebuilt engine, Holley Sniper EFI, Vintage Air, tilt wheel, detailed engine compartment and completely fresh interior... and a '73 Triumph Bonneville Bobber in the back.

The responses to this build are hilarious. People either love it or won't even look at it!

Photos courtesy of my son @mustangmason (Instagram).

I don't get that. What's to hate about a cool truck? Interior & engine compartment both looking crisp & clean!