The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Glove Box Installation (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=835366)

Minkota 06-13-2022 06:22 AM

Glove Box Installation

2 Attachment(s)
1967 Previous Owner installed a Vintage Air system. I would like to install a Glove Box Liner. I ordered the one that would have come with the system "496067 - Vintage Air Glove Box" from Summit Racing. When i went to install it, it appears the hard plastic liner is bigger than the opening, the instructions tell you to install after everything else is installed and thru the opening.
before I try to force it and break it, has anyone installed one of these?

old51sedan 06-13-2022 11:02 AM

Re: Glove Box Installation

I glad to see this posted, as I'm in the same boat with mine. Looks to me like it's going to need a lot of vaseline to say the least.....

LNP 06-13-2022 01:18 PM

I did the vintage air in my truck. Its nerve racking but with a little finesse and a word or two lol it will go in. I have actually takin mine back out and reinstalled it. It has yet to break but we all know how plastic is as it ages. I used angles and worked one corner in after the other. Hope this helps

Peanut74 06-13-2022 02:06 PM

I put one in my '67. As stated it was nerve racking but it does go in.
If I remember correctly I put the drivers side in first. Then the bottom and then the top. Once it was all in I moved towards the passenger side and got it in place. :gmc2:

Minkota 06-13-2022 02:35 PM

Awesome! thanks for the input. i was afraid I would not be able to find one that fits. I will try again this weekend. Thanks again.

LNP 06-13-2022 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanut74 (Post 9090446)
I put one in my '67. As stated it was nerve racking but it does go in.
If I remember correctly I put the drivers side in first. Then the bottom and then the top. Once it was all in I moved towards the passenger side and got it in place. :gmc2:

Sounds like the same way I did it.

Minkota 06-14-2022 06:14 AM

Was the Glove Box door removed when you installed or did you just remove the screws?

Lee H 06-14-2022 08:23 AM

I set mine in the sun for an hour or so, made it a little more pliable.

Accelo 06-14-2022 09:43 AM

Great Question.
I didn't see how it was ever going in. So I pulled the radio and was going to try to install it that way. Haven't got to it yet. Wasn't sure it was possible to install it this way and keep the hoses on the vents.. I know friends that just left them out. What do you do if you have to remove it? After I get a few more miles on my truck I will take the advice and put it in through the door opening. IMHO, Crappy directions and an even worse design.

Cheers

LNP 06-14-2022 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minkota (Post 9090698)
Was the Glove Box door removed when you installed or did you just remove the screws?

I had the door off when I didn mine each time I R&R it

Minkota 06-20-2022 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee H (Post 9090727)
I set mine in the sun for an hour or so, made it a little more pliable.

Great idea, I will give this a try. Thanks.

Hugh in NC 06-20-2022 07:22 PM

I cut mine across the width about 2 inches down from the top. Installed the bottom. Installed the top and put a small piece of metal on the back side with a screw in top half and another screw in bottom half to hold it together. It was the only way I could figure to get it installed. I have not heard a complaint from anyone so far.

cericd 06-21-2022 04:15 PM

Not sure if you've seen this. It's about the original cardboard style liner but it may give some helpful installation hints.

Minkota 06-22-2022 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cericd (Post 9093194)
Not sure if you've seen this. It's about the original cardboard style liner but it may give some helpful installation hints.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0YGIHTLb0w

Yes, I have seen that video. Unfortunately, the type of Glove Box Liner I have to use is made of a harder plastic material and is not as pliable, so it does not install nearly as easily as that type.

Minkota 06-22-2022 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh in NC (Post 9092902)
I cut mine across the width about 2 inches down from the top. Installed the bottom. Installed the top and put a small piece of metal on the back side with a screw in top half and another screw in bottom half to hold it together. It was the only way I could figure to get it installed. I have not heard a complaint from anyone so far.

I thought about doing something like that too, but figured there has to be a way to install it as is. I think I am going to try Lees idea of putting it in the sun, I have also heard of putting it in the oven on low for like 10mins but i am too afraid I would forget and leave it in too long lol.

towbar 06-25-2022 09:16 PM

It will go in, its tight, you'll probably need to repent for some well placed 4 letter words, and probably need a beer afterwards, its a a pain in the butt....whats even worse it getting it back out, but it can be done....ask me how I know??

good luck!

Accelo 06-26-2022 09:13 AM

I went to install my glove box and determined it went in from the back side and shortly after that I figured out that was impossible. This is a crappy design or they messed up designing the mold. The engineer should spend the rest of his working days installing the C10 Glove Boxes for his voluntary self-punishment. I know that may be harsh but I miss the level of competency that has been replaced by complacency. Still Vintage Air is a good company that will eventually return your phone call even if it takes a few days. It's going to be over 90 here for the next few days. I think I will try the "leave it in the sun" trick and see what happens. Can't be too long though or I will need gloves.
Cheers

FleetsidePaul 06-28-2022 01:19 AM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/vaseline.jpg

LNP 06-28-2022 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9095569)

The always fits easy slip in solution. :lol:

FleetsidePaul 06-29-2022 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LNP (Post 9095644)
The always fits easy slip in solution. :lol:

That's what she said.

LNP 06-29-2022 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9095836)
That's what she said.

:lol:

Peanut74 07-01-2022 09:09 PM

Well I installed mine with the glove box door off. From there, like I said, drivers side first side it an inch or two to the drivers side. Then work the bottom in. Then the top and just keep working the topand bottom until the passenger side pops in. Then you can use the door screws to hold it in place.