The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   New to the Suburban Family (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=824913)

nightmare 08-17-2021 04:20 PM

New to the Suburban Family

5 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone. Glad to be back after a 7 year hiatus. Just acquired a 72 Suburban and couldn't be happier.

Seven years ago when my daughter was born, I sold my 69 C10. You can't carry 4 people in a 3 seat truck. Anyway, the plan was to replace it with either a Suburban or a Blazer. Well, Blazers have been way out of my price range and most of the Suburbans I've seen needed too much work for the price they were asking. Stumbled upon this one, and while it's not perfect, it's a very good start.

For now, I plan on driving it as is. Mechanically, it's pretty solid, with a few drips here or there. Paint job is a good 10-15 footer, but will do for now. Has a new gas tank, radiator, and tires. Need to remove the plastic stick on vents from the hood, replace the steering wheel, recover the 2 seats in there, and find a 3rd row seat also.

I think I got a good deal, but thoughts on value? Enjoy the pics...

Beach-Burban 08-17-2021 04:48 PM

Re: New to the Suburban Family

Welcome back, nightmare! It looks like the PO took a few departures from the norm...but that's OK and personally, I like what you got! My '72 looks a lot nicer in photos than in person as well...and even though your description of those hood vents tells me that you're not in love with them, I don't think they look absolutely horrible! Cheesy yes, but horrible???:fry: I can't even make a guess at what a nice looking mechanically sound Suburban goes for now-a-days...but I'll bet that it's less than it would be next month...at least that seems to be the trend? In any case, enjoy using it for it's intended purpose...hauling the family around!

Woody

LockDoc 08-18-2021 12:20 PM

-
Welcome back, Nice looking Suburban!

There is a thread just below yours called "Suburban and Panel Finds". Look through that and you will be able to compare a few examples....

LockDoc

HO455 08-18-2021 12:48 PM

Nice Burban! And a green one too! You know the drill of course, more pictures, more details.
It is hard to tell on my computer, but are the door handles and emblems body color?
Welcome to the 3 door life.

nightmare 08-18-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach-Burban (Post 8959177)
Welcome back, nightmare! It looks like the PO took a few departures from the norm...but that's OK and personally, I like what you got! My '72 looks a lot nicer in photos than in person as well...and even though your description of those hood vents tells me that you're not in love with them, I don't think they look absolutely horrible! Cheesy yes, but horrible???:fry: I can't even make a guess at what a nice looking mechanically sound Suburban goes for now-a-days...but I'll bet that it's less than it would be next month...at least that seems to be the trend? In any case, enjoy using it for it's intended purpose...hauling the family around!

Woody

Thanks. Yeah, those hood vents aren't horrible, but one is missing so it makes the other 5 look out of place. Easier to remove than to locate a 6th one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8959508)
-
Welcome back, Nice looking Suburban!

There is a thread just below yours called "Suburban and Panel Finds". Look through that and you will be able to compare a few examples....

LockDoc

Thanks. I've looked through there a little bit. They are all over the map, both literally and figuratively.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 8959523)
Nice Burban! And a green one too! You know the drill of course, more pictures, more details.
It is hard to tell on my computer, but are the door handles and emblems body color?
Welcome to the 3 door life.

Thanks. Yep, I'll get more pics up pretty soon. You are correct, the door handles and locks are the same color. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a key for the door locks, so I'm gonna be changing those out. Gonna try to save the outer ring, but may not be able to.

pwdcougar 08-18-2021 06:26 PM

Looks like a nice solid truck! Good luck with it!

Paul

LockDoc 08-18-2021 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightmare (Post 8959534)
You are correct, the door handles and locks are the same color. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a key for the door locks, so I'm gonna be changing those out. Gonna try to save the outer ring, but may not be able to.

Pull the passenger door lock out and see if it has a code number stamped into it. It would look something like this.

Attachment 2123344

If there is a code on it I can cut a key from that. The chances of saving the cover are pretty slim.....

LockDoc

72 Super 08-18-2021 10:01 PM

Welcome back. Nice looking Suburban

nightmare 08-19-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwdcougar (Post 8959725)
Looks like a nice solid truck! Good luck with it!

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 Super (Post 8959821)
Welcome back. Nice looking Suburban

Thanks

nightmare 08-19-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8959747)
Pull the passenger door lock out and see if it has a code number stamped into it. It would look something like this.

Attachment 2123344

If there is a code on it I can cut a key from that. The chances of saving the cover are pretty slim.....

LockDoc

I'll pull that and see. Would the driver side and rear tailgate have one too?

LockDoc 08-19-2021 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightmare (Post 8960081)
I'll pull that and see. Would the driver side and rear tailgate have one too?

They might. Here is a thread I posted about the code location on a tailgate lock.

https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=561226

LockDoc

Ol Blue K20 08-20-2021 05:10 PM

Nice find, welcome back!

Dieselwrencher 08-21-2021 07:02 AM

Welcome back and very nice burb!

nightmare 08-22-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8960664)
Nice find, welcome back!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8960862)
Welcome back and very nice burb!

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8960083)
They might. Here is a thread I posted about the code location on a tailgate lock.

https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=561226

LockDoc

So I pulled all 3 locks. No numbers or anything. Kind of frustrating because I would like to keep the body color locks. I wouldn't mind changing to black locks if I have to...

LockDoc 08-22-2021 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightmare (Post 8961321)
Thanks

So I pulled all 3 locks. No numbers or anything. Kind of frustrating because I would like to keep the body color locks. I wouldn't mind changing to black locks if I have to...

The locks would have to be dissembled to re-key them and that destroys the cap.

I still have this set of black face locks.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=754885

LockDoc

nightmare 08-22-2021 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8961507)
The locks would have to be dissembled to re-key them and that destroys the cap.

I still have this set of black face locks.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=754885

LockDoc

That'll work. Is it possible to have the rear tailgate lock rekeyed to the new ones without destroying the cap?

LockDoc 08-22-2021 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightmare (Post 8961619)
That'll work. Is it possible to have the rear tailgate lock rekeyed to the new ones without destroying the cap?

As long as the key from the new lock set will slide into the tailgate lock it can be keyed to the new key and re-use the existing cap.

LockDoc

nightmare 08-23-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8961626)
As long as the key from the new lock set will slide into the tailgate lock it can be keyed to the new key and re-use the existing cap.

LockDoc

Ok, good. It's a square "c" key that I have now, so these should be just fine. I'll reply to the other thread. Thanks Leon