The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Retro Looking Radios - Options? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=814294)

darguy 11-10-2020 11:24 PM

Retro Looking Radios - Options?

Hi Folks! I'm trying to sort out which retro looking modern radio to install in my '72 Frankentruck. I 've got it down to two (maybe three) different units:

Antique Automobile Radio, available from multiple vendors, or the mfg. Has AM/FM rollover dial screen - no digital display, from what I can see. This appeals to me.

Custom Autosound USA-740, also from multiple vendor or the mfg.

Retro Sound Long Beach, also from multiple vendor or the mfg. This one has all the modern goodies, and is "iPhone ready", which appeals to me.

I did a bunch of review searching last night and was under the impression that folks tend to favour the Retro Sound units. And found a bunch of reviews on other forums where people had issues with Antique Automobile units. Not sure about the Custom Autosound - hadn't dug quite that deep yet.

Thoughts?

El Dorado Jim 11-11-2020 12:13 AM

Re: Retro Looking Radios - Options?

Quote:

Originally Posted by darguy (Post 8834327)
Hi Folks! I'm trying to sort out which retro looking modern radio to install in my '72 Frankentruck. I 've got it down to two (maybe three) different units:

Antique Automobile Radio, available from multiple vendors, or the mfg. Has AM/FM rollover dial screen - no digital display, from what I can see. This appeals to me.

Custom Autosound USA-740, also from multiple vendor or the mfg.

Retro Sound Long Beach, also from multiple vendor or the mfg. This one has all the modern goodies, and is "iPhone ready", which appeals to me.

I did a bunch of review searching last night and was under the impression that folks tend to favour the Retro Sound units. And found a bunch of reviews on other forums where people had issues with Antique Automobile units. Not sure about the Custom Autosound - hadn't dug quite that deep yet.

Thoughts?

I bought the retro sound, it is great..

darguy 11-11-2020 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim (Post 8834345)
I bought the retro sound, it is great..

Are you using their speakers as well? I'm inclined towards one that goes in the original dash location, and some under-seat boxes. To keep the relatively stock look.

Cheers

gmc684x4 11-11-2020 12:39 AM

I have been looking at custom autosound usa 740 deck for my 72
I might do sacrilege in my 69 project and put a double din in it

I have three of these trucks i am collecting build parts for
Taking it easy while my broken leg heals up

dmjlambert 11-11-2020 01:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting to see options. The 55 Ford radio from the Antique Automobile Radio (radiosforoldcars.com) site you gave a link to above looks caught my eye. I wonder if the Ford restoration parts companies have a radio patch panel that would work. It would look good for a 67-72 Chevy truck to have something outrageous like that on the dash and made to look like it belongs with the correct cutout.

Attachment 2060172

gmc684x4 11-11-2020 01:13 AM

That does look neet old school futurama kinda look

Katrina/10 11-11-2020 09:37 AM

I bought a Custom Autosound radio years ago, and it was flea market junk. I don't know if they have improved their products since then.

fun in dirt 11-11-2020 10:01 AM

Put a Retrosound in a truck a couple of years ago & hated it. Very flimsy built knobs/buttons & the way it's width adjusted. Hard to tune & sounded bad. Would be different if cheap, but not.
If I ever do truck with stock dash, would just use radio delete plate or old stock radio. Then add put a small bluetooth amp under the seat to play music from phone through that with no head unit needed at all.
(For example https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113M18....html?tp=83532 )

Rich72C10 11-11-2020 10:52 AM

watching this ... i have the same questions and pretty much read the same. I am also looking into these guys, that retrofit the original radio with new parts.

Classic Car Radio Services

Electro-Tech doesn't/will not provide RCA outs but has a option to "cut down" the original radio for more room. Seeing that I have A/C this option may override the lack of no RCA outs option.

darguy 11-11-2020 02:57 PM

I'm really glad I asked this question here before laying out any cash! Thanks for all the feedback!

I had actually started this process by looking at bluetooth amps, but became intrigued by the idea of a retro looking unit.

My truck came with radio-delete but somewhere along the way someone cut the dash (and the delete plate!) to install a Motorola AM, which wasn't hooked up to anything. I'll have to take another look, but I'm not sure if there are any fixtures to attach the dash speaker to - and measure the speaker opening, it might be the a/c size even though the truck doesn't have a/c. Perhaps that is a byproduct of being radio-delete. Perhaps a new radio-delete plate is in order, unless I can find a donor correct radio.

Cheers!

HO455 11-11-2020 10:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a Gary Tayman conversion in my Burban. He uses the Aurora Design system. I opted for the AM/FM USB set up and after more than 20k miles it stills sounds great. The only annoying part has been how the system does random play from the USB music storage.
Gary Tayman did a great job on the conversion. And believe got a discount for being a member here.
The link is to the installation scroll to post 291.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...698377&page=12

Gary Tayman

afoshie 11-11-2020 10:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)

JMD 11-11-2020 11:17 PM

I have a retro sound unit and like what was said before, the knobs and buttons feel cheap. I think the feel of the knobs can be improved with some time and patience. A big factor of how the knobs fit is how deep the unit sits in the dash, and I haven’t been able to get mine perfect yet. When I took the truck out of storage last spring I had issues with the volume knob not working properly. If I tried to increase the volume it would actually decrease it unless I spun the knob painfully slow. This issue slowly resolved itself over about a month and now it seems to be fine.
Other than that I’m very happy with it. I like having an AUX port and it looks pretty good in the dash. I really wish I would have gotten the Bluetooth capable version.

lil hoodlum 11-12-2020 02:41 AM

I have the factory original AM in my 1968 C10. There really isn't anything to listen to anymore on AM except talk radio and some Spanish stations. I have thought about the conversion as well, just haven't pulled the trigger on it. I wouldn't mind a cassette player as I still have some old cassette tapes....LOL

I had briefly considered the retro styled radios but also recall how others had problems and issues with them.

El Dorado Jim 11-12-2020 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darguy (Post 8834359)
Are you using their speakers as well? I'm inclined towards one that goes in the original dash location, and some under-seat boxes. To keep the relatively stock look.

Cheers

I used the stereo speaker set that goes under the dash in the original place, it sounds pretty good but I also have 3x9 speakers in my doors, the holes were already cut in the doors when i got the truck

Ptjsk 11-13-2020 01:56 AM

I still have the old AM radio in the Jimmy, and the GMC Stepside.

I'm driving the Jimmy to an upcoming Elk hunt in Colorado soon. So, for the long trip I purchased a blue tooth stereo speaker. JBL if I can remember correctly.

Anyway, I can use my phone to run Pandora, or a podcast to listen while I drive.

The stereo speaker sounds incredibly well and it just sits up on the transmission bump.

Pat

Peanut74 11-13-2020 10:17 AM

I've been leaning toward the RetroSound with BT as I want to keep the original look going. I've asked my daughters friend, who is a Pioneer dealer, for any ideas he might have. Said he had one unit that might fit the factory opening. I don't know which unit but if it does then I would just mount fake knobs in the factory holes.

darguy 11-14-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8834447)
watching this ... i have the same questions and pretty much read the same. I am also looking into these guys, that retrofit the original radio with new parts.

Classic Car Radio Services

Electro-Tech doesn't/will not provide RCA outs but has a option to "cut down" the original radio for more room. Seeing that I have A/C this option may override the lack of no RCA outs option.

Thanks for the tip, I've been communicating with Joe Cilluffo and sorting out a donor for a conversion. I'll likely go with the optional RCA outputs so I can add external amplification later if needed. One step at a time...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 8834703)
I have a Gary Tayman conversion in my Burban. He uses the Aurora Design system. I opted for the AM/FM USB set up and after more than 20k miles it stills sounds great. The only annoying part has been how the system does random play from the USB music storage.
Gary Tayman did a great job on the conversion. And believe got a discount for being a member here.
The link is to the installation scroll to post 291.

Gary Tayman

I've been enjoying perusing your build thread - that's quite the adventure you've embarked on!

Cheers!

HO455 11-16-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darguy (Post 8835776)

I've been enjoying perusing your build thread - that's quite the adventure you've embarked on!

Cheers!

Thank you. It has had some twists and turns.

clay68c10 11-17-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun in dirt (Post 8834425)
......Then add put a small bluetooth amp under the seat to play music from phone through that with no head unit needed at all.
(For example https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113M18....html?tp=83532 )

This is my plan as well. I did the primitive version of this pre-Bluetooth with a headphone to RCA adapter and my iPod (or a Walkman style FM) thru an amp. It worked great and I could still use the original AM if I wanted to.

Rich72C10 11-18-2020 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
speaking of alternatives - until I figure out what to do with the in-dash radio ... I've put in a "on the dash radio" ;-)

davischevy 11-20-2020 10:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We have these.

darguy 11-20-2020 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8838623)
We have these.

Is that one of these -> Antique Automobile Radio?

davischevy 11-21-2020 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darguy (Post 8838651)
Is that one of these -> Antique Automobile Radio?

No, this one is better looking.

I think ours are Custom Auto sound.

Warrens69GMC 11-21-2020 12:54 AM

Put in a non working original unit and use a bluetooth amplifier and your cell phone.

You can use Spotify, XM or Sirius as well