The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Can't see numbers/text on brothers cluster at night (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=820434)

Chilly178 04-06-2021 08:45 PM

Can't see numbers/text on brothers cluster at night

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, I recently bought a cluster from brothers. Everything is working good, I swapped all the bulbs out for LEDs. I made sure they are all the right polarity but for some reason the text for the speedo and fuel guage is not lit up very well. I swapped all the pins from a post here from 3 hole to 7 hole pin setup. I don't have the wires ran yet for the ammeter, coolant temp or line ran for the oil pressure. Anyone have any ideas?

Rich72C10 04-06-2021 11:07 PM

Re: Can't see numbers/text on brothers cluster at night

1 Attachment(s)
Take a look at this Thread, there are ~4 pages (Reproduction Tach Dash Bezel Lens Text Not Lighting Up). In the end there were two issues with these things - likely these dash parts come from the same place. You could have two issues, one with the lens and the other with the tin.

I had both of these problems. GMCPauls resent me a lens but I had to buy a (OEM) Tin from a board member. Now I can see everything light up, even when it is daylight time.

Edit Photo added: Though I still need to take it out again to fix the bleed through on the left blinker (damnit LOL).

Chilly178 04-07-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8904851)
Take a look at this Thread, there are ~4 pages (Reproduction Tach Dash Bezel Lens Text Not Lighting Up). In the end there were two issues with these things - likely these dash parts come from the same place. You could have two issues, one with the lens and the other with the tin.

I had both of these problems. GMCPauls resent me a lens but I had to buy a (OEM) Tin from a board member. Now I can see everything light up, even when it is daylight time.

Edit Photo added: Though I still need to take it out again to fix the bleed through on the left blinker (damnit LOL).

Damn that sucks. Thanks for the thread. I sent a email to brothers to see what they think. So if they don't help me i'm gonna take the lens apart and see what side the paint is on. If that's what it is I guess i'm gonna have to buy a lens from GMCPauls and keep an eye out for a tin.

Rich72C10 04-07-2021 11:18 AM

Sucks doesn't even start to cover this problem that I had - I am so very thankful for that thread, as I am sure I would have never figured it out on my own! GMCPauls did say they reported the tin problem to the source but that means the source would have to re-tool. Which could take a long time, if it ever happens.

At least for the lens, that was just a problem where the source did it wrong. I had to buy a replacement and then got refunded back from GMCPauls once confirmed my lens was painted incorrectly (so they could then send it to the source for their refund).

firedemon 04-07-2021 08:10 PM

just a question could you use the old tin to mark where the holes should be then maybe drill out the new one then deal with the lens

Rich72C10 04-08-2021 12:07 AM

i don't think it was holes ...

'68OrangeSunshine 04-08-2021 01:32 AM

If you wind up sourcing an OEM lens out of a junkyard or parts truck, be Very Careful cleaning the backside with the lettering [+numbers]. I wiped out the white stuff with a simple warm damp rag, trying to clean a JY lens. I don't think I even had green soap on it.
A dry camel's hair brush and gently-applied canned air may have worked, but hindsight is 20/20.

Warrens69GMC 04-08-2021 01:35 AM

I don't have any pictures, but I sprayed the tin gloss white instead of the seafoam green and it was bright with leds.

ChevyGuyNC 04-08-2021 07:55 AM

So.... if I just keep my original lens/tin which are in great shape, and just swap to the LED's, will I run into similar issues?

pjmoreland 04-08-2021 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyGuyNC (Post 8905348)
So.... if I just keep my original lens/tin which are in great shape, and just swap to the LED's, will I run into similar issues?

If you use LEDs with your OEM lens and tin, then the text and gauges will be extra bright. The issue the OP is having is likely not caused by LEDs. It is likely the result of a defective reproduction lens and poorly made reproduction tin.

Richard 04-09-2021 03:01 AM

First post said it was working good. When you say you swapped bulbs for led. Did you try it with the standard bulbs? If not I suspect the lens is one of the ones painted on wrong side.

Chilly178 04-25-2021 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 8905793)
First post said it was working good. When you say you swapped bulbs for led. Did you try it with the standard bulbs? If not I suspect the lens is one of the ones painted on wrong side.

Yes, it is even worse with standard bulbs. I think what I'm going to take it apart and see what side the paint is on. If its on the correct side I'll leave it, if not I will have to source a oem or repro lens with the correct side paint. I will also spray the inside of the tin either gloss white or chrome paint. Hopefully it will be enough.

Getter-Done 04-25-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 8905314)
If you wind up sourcing an OEM lens out of a junkyard or parts truck, be Very Careful cleaning the backside with the lettering [+numbers]. I wiped out the white stuff with a simple warm damp rag, trying to clean a JY lens. I don't think I even had green soap on it.
A dry camel's hair brush and gently-applied canned air may have worked, but hindsight is 20/20.

Thanks for this valuable Info.:metal:

Getter-Done 04-25-2021 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilly178 (Post 8913424)
Yes, it is even worse with standard bulbs. I think what I'm going to take it apart and see what side the paint is on. If its on the correct side I'll leave it, if not I will have to source a oem or repro lens with the correct side paint. I will also spray the inside of the tin either gloss white or chrome paint. Hopefully it will be enough.

The Gloss white or silver or chrome will work.IMO
Keep us posted.:chevy:

firedemon 04-26-2021 09:53 PM

i did the chrome paint on only one side and left the green on the other so it still has the green tint but it is much brighter

Getter-Done 04-26-2021 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firedemon (Post 8913846)
i did the chrome paint on only one side and left the green on the other so it still has the green tint but it is much brighter

That sounds like a Great Plan:metal:

Do you have pictures that you would share?

:chevy::chevy::chevy::chevy:

Chilly178 04-29-2021 10:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Okay everyone the new lens fixed the issue. I bought a new lens from GMC Pauls. I was going to spray the tin with some paint but I realized I wanted the same green hue instead of white so I left it alone. When I got the new and the old lens side by side I could immediately notice they are different. I put the new lens in and the text is noticeably brighter.

Getter-Done 04-29-2021 10:49 PM

Nice:metal:

Rich72C10 05-01-2021 12:23 PM

Yep, good job, once you get them side by side you can surely see the difference! Heck, yours even looks brighter than mine, so jealous! LOL