The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   “Castro” my new 72 build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=820934)

GSFMECH 04-28-2021 11:06 AM

Re: “Castro” my new 72 build

2 Attachment(s)
I used the factory bucket seats from my blue truck on this build. I had to order new saddle seat covers, I didn’t want houndstooth this round and went with the correct vinyl. Here’s a couple shots after I installed the upholstery and the seats only just sitting in position in the truck, not yet bolted down. The covers took 3 months to arrive due to Covid.

GSFMECH 04-28-2021 11:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
It was a struggle, but I finally got the hydro boost finished here. Had a hard time bleeding the brakes which wound up being the master cylinder. Had to resort to plan B which was the one off the blue truck but in the end went with plan C which was new Dorman master cylinder. Also, a shot of the push rod I had to make to use the hydro boost. I used a Captain Fab mounting bracket as you can see in the photo below. Somewhere about this time I got the engine running. I used “Made for You” clamps on the hoses and also on the AC and heater hoses, also got the column installed.

GSFMECH 04-28-2021 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Seat covers are PUI and carpet is custom auto carpet, still a few wrinkles in the seats but they always work out with a little seat time. Console is repainted and installed

GSFMECH 04-28-2021 11:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the Dakota digital dash in for the last time

GSFMECH 04-28-2021 11:16 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Getting closer, painted the bottom of the hood and the hinges. Bumper and grill installed. I used one NOS hinge and one repop, the originals were worn out. The grill is a NOS one that I bought back when I built the blue truck many years ago. i think I paid 400 bucks for it which was expensive at the time. I ran it for several years but it had a small ding in it from a rock hitting it and was lightly sandblasted from sand blowing in off the beach at CTC one year. I hated the way it was looking in the blue truck so I replaced the inner and outer grill, headlight doors and emblem with repops which were crashed in the wreck. I had this thing sitting in the attic for years. I used it in this build, it's a perfect match for the rest of the truck, it's not too shiny but still really nice and the ding matches all the other dings in the truck. Best part is it's all GM as is most all the trim, mirrors etc. Front bumper is a new repop, rear is a repop but I have a GM (now used) rear NOS one I may put on the rear that I had replaced on the blue truck for the same reason I changed the grill back then.

lolife99 04-28-2021 12:32 PM

Love love love this truck.
QUALITY everything on this build.

GSFMECH 04-28-2021 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8914474)
Love love love this truck.
QUALITY everything on this build.

Thanks Keith, I really appreciate that.

61_FL_Apache 04-29-2021 07:40 AM

YAY! Its on the ground!

GSFMECH 04-29-2021 11:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Inner fenders are installed and most under hood details done.

GSFMECH 04-29-2021 11:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Interior is complete. I had to buy a new cushion grip steering wheel because I bent the one in the blue truck in the wreck. Floor mats are factory style from Classic industries. I had the same style in the blue truck. When you first get them, they have a powdery look and after a few washings they come good. Fawn was the closest color that matched, wish they were a bit darker but running them anyway. I defer to the 30-day rule. If it bothers you now, wait 30 days and if it still bothers you do something about it. The 30-day rule kicked in so I’m leaving them alone.

GSFMECH 04-29-2021 11:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A new set of undercover innovations panels on the core support, AC charged, windshield wiper washers primed and working. The Detroit speed wiper system uses a universal style washer pump which I hid up inside the fender behind the washer bottle. Wipers have 3 intermittent speeds and low and high and are a tremendous improvement over stock, they are strong and wipe really fast. They are pricey but worth it. I was sold on them on HRPT. I was following my buddy Kevin’s 68 a few times during drizzling rain and he has this system. He had his set on intermittent and I had to keep reaching and turning my stock wipers on and off every 30-45 seconds. I was watching him and grumbling about mine the whole time. Best part is it’s all hidden.

GSFMECH 04-29-2021 11:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Away to the alignment shop

GSFMECH 04-29-2021 12:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
It feels good to drive this thing, the QA1 suspension is awesome. Still more to do though.

LT7A 04-30-2021 04:27 AM

Wow, that really came together nicely. Really cool truck. I like how you pieced in the areas that needed to be repaired and then painted sparingly, as necessary. Methodical with a good outcome.

GSFMECH 04-30-2021 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8915133)
Wow, that really came together nicely. Really cool truck. I like how you pieced in the areas that needed to be repaired and then painted sparingly, as necessary. Methodical with a good outcome.

Thanks, yeah once you cover the original paint it's gone forever.

Ol Blue K20 04-30-2021 08:01 AM

Nice, a very good write up. Thanks for sharing it with us.

regan wilson 04-30-2021 09:13 AM

That is one sweet little truck. I stopped in your home town for fuel on the way back from Belle Rose in February.

GSFMECH 04-30-2021 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8915152)
Nice, a very good write up. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 8915172)
That is one sweet little truck. I stopped in your home town for fuel on the way back from Belle Rose in February.

Thanks, I only live a mile and a half from the interstate where you probably gassed up. I'm overseas right now but next time give me a shout and stop by.

GSFMECH 04-30-2021 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The first thing that happened after driving it down the road after alignment was the used hydro boost failed so I had to buy a rebuilt unit. I made this contraption to remove the push rod from the new hydro boost, so I could swap in the pushrod I had previously fabricated. The push rods are crimped into the hydro boost shaft. I opened up the hole for the pushrod in the new booster with a 3/8” drill bit and was able to swap it into the new one. Man, this thing will stop!!

GSFMECH 04-30-2021 12:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The tailgate had been replaced at some point in the past and was originally blue, it looked like they poured paint through a fan to splatter it on there, it was rough, plus it was splitting apart at the spot welds. The one that came with the SWB bed was even worse with holes rusted through and was a GMC tailgate. I decided to repaint the gate off the blue truck which is perfect, I’ll keep an eye out for a good used original paint ochre one. Nobody even seems to notice it or even care so I’ll probably leave it as is. Refer to the 30 day rule.

GSFMECH 04-30-2021 12:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My Buddy James (fishingjred73) did some pin stripping on the glove box door, I love this. He did an awesome job.

Nobby 05-02-2021 11:20 AM

Man I love what you did Buddy! You got me pumped to get in my shop and get to work!

GSFMECH 05-02-2021 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobby (Post 8915966)
Man I love what you did Buddy! You got me pumped to get in my shop and get to work!

Thanks Nobby, wish I could have gone to Pate, I missed seeing everyone.

GSFMECH 05-03-2021 12:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I ran the truck for a few months, sorting out the bugs but the engine and trans were tired. The engine I had that we called "Helicoil" just wasn't cutting it and as I mentioned before I had wounded it on HRPT when the fan clutch failed. The transmission was hurting as well, full throttle shifts were slow which I don’t understand because it was perfect before. Long story short I bought a new internal balanced Scat 9000 crank and took the rotating assembly and a 4-bolt block to the machine shop for boring and balancing. It has an Isky valve train, Dart IE heads, Vic Jr. It’s a nice street engine. I had already built another 400-turbo that was ready to go and had a high dollar Coan 10” converter that used to be in the blue truck when I had the 496 in it. A few shots of the engine going together.

GSFMECH 05-03-2021 12:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more shots.