The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Have not seen this one before... 4x4 using trailing arms (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=214151)

John Fabris 10-24-2006 11:01 AM

Have not seen this one before... 4x4 using trailing arms

Hi All,

Here is a new one that I have not seen... Guy converted a 2wd coil spring truck to a 4x4 truck, but kept the rear coils and trailing arms....
I know this is not where to post trucks for sale from other places, but I am more commenting on how he converted it from 2by to 4by...

Craigslist ad

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...e0413/72_3.jpg

glock35ipsc 10-24-2006 11:12 AM

Re: Have not seen this one before... 4x4 using trailing arms

From the one picture, it looks like the axle is under the trailing arms. Interesting! Can't tell what the two tabs or brackets are that are hanging down inboard from the trailing arms are though.....

70rs/ss 10-24-2006 01:47 PM

That would be a better ride and the rear axle can articulate a lot more, but if you tweek it enough, the bolt holding the spring on is taking all the brunt!! You can get the axle mount pads new, and just swap left for right and putem under the axle instead of on top, get some lift out of it at the same time. I don't know about turning a good 2wd short bed into 4X4, but to each their own!!

ryanroo 10-24-2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70rs/ss (Post 1840193)
I don't know about turning a good 2wd short bed into 4X4, but to each their own!!

im not sure why you wouldn't... ;)
ryan

67ChevyRedneck 10-24-2006 01:56 PM

Panhard bars can only move so much, right? I think I saw on "Extreme 4x4" where they made some adjustable ones....

Looks to be a sharp truck.

70rs/ss 10-24-2006 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 1840201)
Panhard bars can only move so much, right? I think I saw on "Extreme 4x4" where they made some adjustable ones....

Looks to be a sharp truck.

Yeah, but that spring is it. Up and down the panhard doesn't really regulate that but it does on the side to side. It is a great setup and they use it in one form or another in the CORE trucks, it works or he wouldn't be driving it!!

ghetto_superman 10-24-2006 02:36 PM

can you say... sand dunes? hehe that would be lotsa fun!!..

trkklr77 10-24-2006 04:29 PM

petersons did a write up truck about doing this to a 65, but they never finished the truck. the 2 part artcile was more about how to set things up from scratch, put a motor in that not only doesnt belong but with no exsiting referance points, how to setup a custom axle and so on. i wanted to do this to my 65 but i just didnt have the ablity when i had the truck.

jacobs 10-24-2006 06:43 PM

When I converted my 70 c/10 to 4x4, I installed leaf springs. If I'd have left my old coil springs in, it would have saved a lot of work. I'm sure this is why they left the coils in.

stepn67 10-24-2006 06:54 PM

In an old issue of 4X4 mag, there was a similar conversion where the rear was mounted under the trailing arms and the front used a chevy axle mated to ford arms with the spring cups, and standard 3/4 ton front springs, using the standard 2 wheel drive crossmember. The set-up looked good and the only major fabrication was a crossmember for the ford arms.

LUV2XCLR8 10-24-2006 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Fabris (Post 1840065)
Here is a new one that I have not seen... Guy converted a 2wd coil spring
truck to a 4x4 truck, but kept the rear coils and trailing arms....

Well, that's different alright :confused:

724wdcopper 10-24-2006 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepn67 (Post 1840453)
In an old issue of 4X4 mag, there was a similar conversion where the rear was mounted under the trailing arms and the front used a chevy axle mated to ford arms with the spring cups, and standard 3/4 ton front springs, using the standard 2 wheel drive crossmember. The set-up looked good and the only major fabrication was a crossmember for the ford arms.

that was the white 72 in 4WOR, right? i have that issue somewhere. white truck blue ford front suspension. different...

smbrouss70 10-26-2006 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepn67 (Post 1840453)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 724wdcopper (Post 1840486)
that was the white 72 in 4WOR, right? i have that issue somewhere. white truck blue ford front suspension. different...

If one of you can find that article, I'd like to see some pics of that! I can't quite wrap my head around how that would work.

stepn67 10-26-2006 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
'70,
Can't find the mag, but the diagram shows the basic idea.

vtblazer 10-26-2006 07:26 PM

Factory 4x4 4-link...right? :confused:

Kinda like it, has promise IMO.

skchevota 10-26-2006 08:16 PM

Mine was a hevy duty 2wd when I converted it to 4x4 so I already had rear leafs. But in an effort to make it ride better I swaped in the coil set up , using f150 front coils and stock chevy arms with the axle mounted on the bottom, it woked great till I cracked one of the arms. then I made stronger bars and replaced the springs with air bags, now I am back to leafs. the coils and bags sure road better, but with a lifted 4x4 I was woried about blowing a bag on the highway, I think dropping down over a foot would be bad..:buh: :lol:

onetonk5 10-26-2006 09:17 PM

i wouldnt call it a 4 link.......more like triangulated trailing arms and a panhard....i thought about it years ago....but never did anything with the idea....i would think without too much angle in the bars it would work pretty well. cup cars have used them for years so you know the locating strength is there but there not going to really twist like a 4 link would....not that its all that necessary. i think that rear seetup combined with a ford style front radius arm setup you could get some great ride/drive quality.

roj2323 10-26-2006 10:21 PM

i think the main concern would be adding a swivel joint to the front of the trailing arms as that would be a major stress point. i would also probalby go to a whatts link or 3 link instead of the panhard bar. otherwise i don't see any reason why doing this conversion would be difficult or unrealistic.

as a perk nascar allready uses a swivel joint for there trailing arms. lucky for us they slide right in the bushing sleaves and are somewhat cheap.

krue 10-27-2006 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skchevota (Post 1845159)
Mine was a hevy duty 2wd when I converted it to 4x4 so I already had rear leafs. But in an effort to make it ride better I swaped in the coil set up , using f150 front coils and stock chevy arms with the axle mounted on the bottom, it woked great till I cracked one of the arms. then I made stronger bars and replaced the springs with air bags, now I am back to leafs. the coils and bags sure road better, but with a lifted 4x4 I was woried about blowing a bag on the highway, I think dropping down over a foot would be bad..:buh: :lol:

Would love to see pics of that setup if you have any.

vtblazer 10-27-2006 06:25 AM

[QUOTE=onetonk5;1845347]i wouldnt call it a 4 link...QUOTE]

:agree: but for my short post it worked...:o

jays68yak 10-27-2006 11:01 AM

It the new 4wheel mag there is a write on an FJ that has the same thing done to the rear, but hea also added to upper links to trianglulate it and possibly not run a panhard bar.

LostMy65 05-16-2022 12:37 AM

Just googled 4x4 with trailing arms and this thread popped up.
Other than it being odd, what really would be an issue?

Richard 05-16-2022 01:54 AM

An old thread, pretty cool. Thought about this on my project. Would not have used stock trailing arms. The custom Deaver spring packs I chose will work for me and kept cost lower. I started with a rear leaf truck though. Love to see custom mods people do.

special-K 05-16-2022 07:46 AM

Back then I recall seeing a Grapefruit Yellow Suburban converted to 4wd, retaining the coil rear suspension. It was lifted with big tires. That makes two I know of, but none since.

CG 05-16-2022 02:29 PM

When I brought this up on the 4x4 side a little while back Tim you mentioned that Burb and I was pretty sure I knew the one you were talking about. I searched the board for a long time trying to find it, but Ive never been the greatest at search. I personally like the idea of converting like this. I have a set of cucv ten bolt axels that have been sitting in the barn forever. It keeps me thinking of this swap, but I also think realistically Ill never do it and should just put the axles on Craigslist.