The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

greg64 03-04-2015 12:19 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7075721)
3.42 - I am pretty sure

235/75 - R15 on the tires

That works out to an engine RPM of 3184. Not as high as I thought it might be.

Titomars 03-04-2015 12:41 PM

At 65 MPH with a GPS My 454 is turning 3300 RPM (factory tach). I have 3.73's with 275/60's (28 inch dia.). Just humming along hehe.

greg64 03-04-2015 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7075766)
At 65 MPH with a GPS My 454 is turning 3300 RPM (factory tach). I have 3.73's with 275/60's (28 inch dia.). Just humming along hehe.

Interesting, the driveshaft is only turning 2910 RPM at that road speed. So the torque converter is slipping the difference between 2910 and 3300.

Titomars 03-04-2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7075784)
Interesting, the driveshaft is only turning 2910 RPM at that road speed. So the torque converter is slipping the difference between 2910 and 3300.

Well actually I'm not 100% sure on the gears. My truck was originally equipped with 3.42's but when I do the eyeball check with the drive shaft to tire revolution it is a hair over 3 3/4 turns. I had the cover off and did not think to actually read the gear stamping. I'm not pulling the cover again till I need to. The factory tach may not be spot on, either. ;)

cnorth 03-04-2015 10:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Would just like to say that your work on Rusty has been outstanding you should

be very proud of yourself, and that your work has really got me thinking about

what I want out of my work in progress, so I picked up a bench seat today from

the pull your own place for $20.00 (wed is %50 off ) tore everything out and

found a few interesting things I think we all can laugh about.

Sadly after working on it wanted to put it back on the side of the house my

clutch that I new was on it's last leg gave out.

Gregski 03-04-2015 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnorth (Post 7076506)
Would just like to say that your work on Rusty has been outstanding you should

be very proud of yourself, and that your work has really got me thinking about

what I want out of my work in progress, so I picked up a bench seat today from

the pull your own place for $20.00 (wed is %50 off ) tore everything out and

found a few interesting things I think we all can laugh about.

Sadly after working on it wanted to put it back on the side of the house my

clutch that I new was on it's last leg gave out.

thank you so much, now here is what archeologists would infer from what you found if they did not see what vehicle it came from, wasp nest probably a truck, couple twenty two rounds, I'm guessing late 70s maybe a 78 or 79 definitely not an 80s truck, shotgun shell that's easy that makes it a 4x4 fer sure, what else is there is that a 9mm Montana maybe, hee hee - how did I do?

Gregski 03-04-2015 10:57 PM

UNBELIEVABLE

So I git home and I figure I better go take a look at Rusty. So I grab a flashlight and crawl under him, he's parked on the street right in front of my house cause we couldn't get him in the driveway last night.

Things look dry as a bone, no leak in the fuel lines that I can see. Hmm I think to myself, I might want to turn him over to git that fuel pump a pumpin a bit to build up some pressure if possible maybe expose that leak.

Low and behold he fires right up, ready to go... like that lazy ol' dog laying by the kitchen table that jumps up when you grab your hat and open the front door to head out, he's right beside you now... where we going, were we going, are we going for a walk, know what I mean

so I shut him off, and wait a minute or two and try again, he fires right up

so I pull him in the garage, and shut him down, then I wait a minute and try to start him again, and he fires right up

so I say fine lemme Lupricate that shifter and put the turtle shell back on, let me put the gauge cluster lense and cover back on (took it off to install the new speedo cable remember) then I do a couple other things and about an hour or so later... he fires right up again, so I pull him out of the garage and park him in the driveway

I don't like the games Rusty is playing I'm guessing the good gasoline I'm pouring in him is going straight to his heads (get it, LOL)

Gregski 03-04-2015 11:03 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Parking Brake Release Handle

1 Attachment(s)
so which is it is it called a Parking Brake or an Emergency Brake?

either way I replaced the parking/emergency brake release handle with a used one I found at a junk yard, it's all about the little things with these old trucks, and there is a 1/2 ton (get it, C10) of little things to fix on 'em

Note: my old handle had this intelligent metal clip that you can remove and snap back on in 2 seconds, the one I pulled from the junk yard had a god forsaked plastic one that took me for ever to get out and I might have even damaged/mangled it in the process

Gregski 03-04-2015 11:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lets find the source of that Pavement Lubrication System shall we?

Man this guy's lost his mind, isn't that Baby Powder? what in the world is he gonna do with that Baby Powder? I don't wanna know... wait what, he sprinkled it all over the back of the motor, the valve covers, the bellhousing...hmmm that's hecka smart dude, where did you learn that?

cnorth 03-04-2015 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7076558)
thank you so much, now here is what archeologists would infer from what you found if they did not see what vehicle it came from, wasp nest probably a truck, couple twenty two rounds, I'm guessing late 70s maybe a 78 or 79 definitely not an 80s truck, shotgun shell that's easy that makes it a 4x4 fer sure, what else is there is that a 9mm Montana maybe, hee hee - how did I do?

Spot if I do say, and those were just the one's that escaped the shop-vac

would you mind telling me where you picked up the rebuild parts for the clutch

adjuster linkage thingy, (sorry not sure what it is even called )

Gregski 03-04-2015 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnorth (Post 7076605)
would you mind telling me where you picked up the rebuild parts for the clutch

adjuster linkage thingy, (sorry not sure what it is even called )

if you mean the bellcrank also called the Z-bar than I got the guts for it from Summit, but check out this guys thread to see if this is what you mean

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...?topic=28126.0

these ball stud seats may be what you need, the black ones are for 73-87 I think, and the ones I got may have been for the 67-72 turcks but oh well, I made it work

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1967...gmc-truck/gr36

cnorth 03-04-2015 11:48 PM

Yes that is it, Z bar for the life of me I could not remember the name
thank you

Odaroloc 03-05-2015 12:11 AM

Very cool man!

Gregski 03-05-2015 01:13 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Anatomy of a Kick Panel

4 Attachment(s)
the forecast for the weekend says it will be in the lower to mid 70s* F you know what that means, maybe we could paint something

now be quiet when you read this (the wife is asleep upstairs)

and we gots to disassemble, wash, sand and prep them these kick panels (air vents as LMC Truck calls em) so we can rattle can them flat black this weekend with that upholstery paint like we did them door panels to match ~ it's what I call Red Neck Detailin'

Gregski 03-05-2015 01:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
now LMC Truck wants $30 American dollars for one of these there "air vent valves" and if we do the math, we need two of 'em so that's $60 plus another $14 for shippin'

we need these because the rubber has deteriorated around the edges so they won't make a proper seal

can we do better than that fellas, have any of youz tackled this delicate situation, holler at me if you have

I found just the rubber Kick panel vent seal repair kit for 1967-1972 Chevy/GMC trucks. from Year One for $6 bucks wonder if it will work, if they is the same size? For that price it's worth taking a shot

all we gots to do is drill out the rivets holding this oreo cookie together and replace da fillin'

Motherfrog402 03-05-2015 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7076774)
the forecast for the weekend says it will be in the lower to mid 70s* F you know what that means, maybe we could paint something

now be quiet when you read this (the wife is asleep upstairs)

and we gots to disassemble, wash, sand and prep them these kick panels (air vents as LMC Truck calls em) so we can rattle can them flat black this weekend with that upholstery paint like we did them door panels to match ~ it's what I call Red Neck Detailin'

Greg, how come you have that little spark plug wire loom in the pic?

Gregski 03-05-2015 01:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Motherfrog402 (Post 7076797)
Greg, how come you have that little spark plug wire loom in the pic?

LOL, I recon you mean this

Motherfrog402 03-05-2015 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7076810)
LOL, I recon you mean this

Yep. The only reason I knew what it was is because I just did my plug wires today and have the exact same loom.

Gregski 03-05-2015 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motherfrog402 (Post 7076813)
Yep. The only reason I knew what it was is because I just did my plug wires today and have the exact same loom.

Fred are you saying I aint supposed to route my plug wires through the kick panels? How the heck do you do them then? JK LOL

Motherfrog402 03-05-2015 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7076826)
Fred are you saying I aint supposed to route my plug wires through the kick panels? How the heck do you do them then? JK LOL

They go out the lower sides of the fenders, so you can use em as curb feelers. :lol:

77 350 Shorty Wide 03-05-2015 12:21 PM

Good Morning, Where oh where did the gas go???? Could the gas you lost of been spilled when someone possibly siphoned it out while you were gone?

God Bless, Terry

77K10Silverado 03-05-2015 01:59 PM

On that e-brake handle.. I just bought a new handle from Ebay. I broke off the remaining old plastic and clean the shaft. Then I took a propane lighter and heated up the new one and slide it on. Once it cools, its on there like concrete!

Enjoying the posts!!

cnorth 03-05-2015 08:28 PM

Would this be the part for the z bar?

summitracing.com/parts/gmk-4041951587s/applications/make/chevrolet/model/k10-pickup

Gregski 03-05-2015 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnorth (Post 7077838)
Would this be the part for the z bar?

summitracing.com/parts/gmk-4041951587s/applications/make/chevrolet/model/k10-pickup

yes but you will have to cut one of the white plastic pieces with a box cutter to get it to slip over one of the ball joints, that's what I had to do, the other way to go is to buy the black ones

Gregski 03-05-2015 11:36 PM

More Turck Trouble

So the truck started fine in the driveway and I drove it into the garage to tighten the oil pan and valve covers a bit.

Then I started it again in the garage and oh my god it sounded amazing, perfect!

So I said let me drive it to a gas station half mile away to fill it up.

It drove fine at first then it started to fade, it seemed like it wanted to stall / die at each stop sign, I had to rev it up a bit when coming to a stop, then I barely made it to the gas station and it died at the pump without me having to turn the key off

So I filled the tank up with gas, went to start him up, and it cranks but does not start. The clear fuel filter is almost dry there may be a 1/16 of an inch at the bottom of the glass (the fuel filter sits horizontally right before the carb)

What is going on?

Background information: I dropped the tank a few weeks/months back. It was very clean on the inside no rust at all. I also replaced the rubber hoses from the gas tank to the hard fuel lines both the 3/8th to line, and the 5/16th return line.

Also the previous owner told me he put on a brand new fuel pump and it did look new to me when taking a look at it.