The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 10-08-2015 01:39 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

3 Attachment(s)
Alright so two hours later one side was out. This side I figure took a bit longer as there was some figuring out to do.

so you jack up the truck and set it on a jack stand, I only did one corner for extra safety and stability

you remove the front shock lower bolt and wiggle it out of the way

(if you have a stabilizer bar you need to remove that as well, I didn't)

Remember, Cheater Bars are your friend!

Gregski 10-08-2015 01:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Please note the two safety precautions I took.

1. I used a chain to wrap and secure the coil spring to the lower control arm so it don't go flying across the garage.

2. I used a hold down strap to wrap around a bunch of times over the top of the jack and the round rear bar of the lower control arm, so as I lowered it the jack would not slide out.

Gregski 10-08-2015 01:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
then you undo the two horse shoe U bolts held on with 2 nuts on each side, (you may have to dig through some dirt and grime to find them, I did not get too caught up in clean up during this operation as I will paint these parts later, later on) this separates the lower control arm from below the cross member/fame rail

that is the key you undo the back of the setup, not the front like on every TV show we have seen where they go to replace the spindles

Gregski 10-08-2015 01:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
and then the coil spring was out, naturally we have to compare the old and the new, and it appears as the old one is roughly 14" and the new one about 12" (the angle in that camera shot makes the old spring look like its 15" but it's not)

so if we allow for some sag, divide by the circumference of the earth, lets see, carry the one, ah yes we should get roughly a 2" drop, well we shall see

Gregski 10-08-2015 02:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
and four hours into it, one side in the front was done

the installation is the reversal of removal, LOL

Gregski 10-08-2015 02:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
with the wheel on and one side done, I took a preliminary measurement, and sure enuff we got about a 2" drop, the other side of course will have to go down, and I am sure the coils will settle a bit

y5mgisi 10-08-2015 03:03 PM

Good progress!

Chaplain 10-08-2015 03:43 PM

Nice job. I'm right behind you. I've been cleaning and painting in preparation for installing new suspension parts.

Gregski 10-08-2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7334509)
Good progress!

Thank you.

Gregski 10-08-2015 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7334539)
Nice job. I'm right behind you. I've been cleaning and painting in preparation for installing new suspension parts.

Coolness, have you picked a parts vendor yet?

Gregski 10-08-2015 03:56 PM

Quick Update: So took an hour off for lunch with the family, now back to do the other side, it's 1:00 in the afternoon already.

rusty76 10-08-2015 04:21 PM

Well you're running behind in EST. lol. Good job. Keep on keeping on

Gregski 10-08-2015 04:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
alright guys so the other side took less than an hour to remove, so less than half the time, keep in mind I had to stop to take pictures and update this forum... ok and chug a beer - don't judge! ha ha

Gregski 10-08-2015 04:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Top Tip: figure I better mention, I recommend removing the U bolts completely from the brackets holding the rear of the lower control arm up to the cross member before trying to lower the jack, as they love to bind, so once the nuts and washer are removed, shoot some BP Blaster up in them and fandangle them out with some gentle persuasion, then move on to lowering the jack - SLOWLY -

Gregski 10-08-2015 04:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
and here is our reward, two completely removed rusty stock tall coil springs... and their brand new cousin aka Shorty

Chaplain 10-08-2015 04:55 PM

McGaughy's front and rear. Rear is already done...complete with a 1 ton sway bar.

Gregski 10-08-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7334614)
McGaughy's ...

hey me too, LOL

Gregski 10-08-2015 06:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
alright time for the 3 oclock update

first wanted to point out that the there is a divit in the lower control arm bowl where the tail of the spring should end up in

its kind of hard to tell with the dirty part, so I try to point to it, you will know what I am talking about when you go to do the job yourselves

Gregski 10-08-2015 06:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
the other thing I want to point out that the way the lower control arm gets centered on the cross member is by these nipples inside the brackets that hold the U bolts and the holes in the round bar that attaches to it - very important that they align

Gregski 10-08-2015 06:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
and so we get the other side assembled

Gregski 10-08-2015 06:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
at first everything appears alright as we remove the jack, mind you this side gave me a little trouble getting aligned

Gregski 10-08-2015 06:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
however, upon further inspection, we notice that the top of the spring is not on center, there is a round sheet metal ring that needs to go inside our new spring and the spring is binding and needs to go in 1/4 of an inch to the inside of the vehicle

no problem, lets gently tap it with our baby sledge

BAM!!! instead of going inside it pops out to the outside, darn it, time for a do over

just being honest wich you all, nothing to hide, I'm learning as I go

Gregski 10-08-2015 07:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and at 4 PM we were done with the front, my son helped me re do the driver side and we believe now it sits properly, since we had to do one side over, and because of my recent back injury I feel there is no sense in marching on today and doing the rear, we will live to fight another day

new front measurements are

Driver Front 27 3/4" center of wheel well (tire pressure 26.5 PSI ahem low)

Passenger Front 27 5/8" center of wheel well (tire pressure 27.0 PSI also low)

I think it was worth the effort, your thoughts?

here are some before and after shots of the stance

Willowrun 10-08-2015 07:16 PM

Before you go and scrap those old front coil springs please let me know if you're interested in parting with them in exchange for a contribution to your truck fund.
Oh, and it's about time you lowered it!

Gregski 10-08-2015 07:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
a what the heck lets see a close up, stock and with the front lowered 3 inches - the gap between the top of the front tire and the wheel well is no longer

The Greg Likes!!!