The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

lkfldredneck 03-11-2016 12:21 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

The primitive tool for the valve springs.. Holy. Ive been graced with having a pneumatic valve spring compressor, and thought the hand powered lever action ones were primitive haha good work man. Cant wait to hear it running again

Gregski 03-11-2016 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7517932)
Go Greg go!

thanks man I appreciate that

Valarius_Starchaser 03-11-2016 01:21 AM

The umbrela seal is like this
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/20...249-504-16.jpg
The others are viton seals and look like this
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...-514-12_ml.jpg

Watch where you place the longer arm on the tool it should be on the lower coil side of the spring that will give you the most "compression" of the spring also a magnet helps get the locks out if they are caked in there from years of abuse

Gregski 03-11-2016 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7517804)
I hope you plan to port match the heads and intake :P Go big or go home sir.

what do you make of this video, not me some dude porting some Vortec 062 cylinder heads from the comfort of his very own computer room, LOL

DIY Head Porting Small Block Chevy Vortec 062 Part 1 of 3

Gregski 03-11-2016 01:42 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valarius_Starchaser (Post 7518201)
The umbrela seal is like this
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/20...249-504-16.jpg
The others are viton seals and look like this
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...-514-12_ml.jpg

Watch where you place the longer arm on the tool it should be on the lower coil side of the spring that will give you the most "compression" of the spring also a magnet helps get the locks out if they are caked in there from years of abuse

thanks bud, I ended up getting these

enaberif 03-11-2016 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7518208)
what do you make of this video, not me some dude porting some Vortec 062 cylinder heads from the comfort of his very own computer room, LOL

You don't have to go to the extremes as this guy... But yes. Essentially you want the openings to match the gaskets so that you get optimal airflow.

When you put your gasket onto your heads and or intake manifold you will see just how bad the castings and how much material can be removed.

chevybuldr 03-11-2016 02:03 PM

The L 5 3 on the back of the block and also similar on the heads is the casting date. The 010 is the casting number for the block. The numbers on the head surface pad is what makes it specific for your truck. The left number should match your vin. The number on the right is prefix code that tells where and when it was assembled and what exactly it was power wise.

Word of caution on those heads, the vortec heads are known for cracking. It would be a good idea that you have the heads magnafluxed for cracks. The surface on them also is very crude. You really need a very true and flat surface. I would highly suggest a visit to your local machine shop. Having things done now is a lot cheaper then being bent over the fender doing it a second time. This is not my shade tree opinion then is my machinest opinion. I have seen more then my fair share of them.
You have a great build thread going on just read thru it, keep it up love a budget build. Great save on an old truck.

chevybuldr 03-11-2016 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7518208)

OOOHHH his wife must love him. The stuff gets everywhere why would you even consider port heads in the house let alone in your computer room. They will never get that out of the carpet lol.

enaberif 03-11-2016 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevybuldr (Post 7518649)
The L 5 3 on the back of the block and also similar on the heads is the casting date. The 010 is the casting number for the block. The numbers on the head surface pad is what makes it specific for your truck. The left number should match your vin. The number on the right is prefix code that tells where and when it was assembled and what exactly it was power wise.

Word of caution on those heads, the vortec heads are known for cracking. It would be a good idea that you have the heads magnafluxed for cracks. The surface on them also is very crude. You really need a very true and flat surface. I would highly suggest a visit to your local machine shop. Having things done now is a lot cheaper then being bent over the fender doing it a second time. This is not my shade tree opinion then is my machinest opinion. I have seen more then my fair share of them.
You have a great build thread going on just read thru it, keep it up love a budget build. Great save on an old truck.

Throw some black paint on the heads mating surface grab a flat chunk of steel and throw some sandpaper across them. You'll know quickly how flat they are.

Gregski 03-11-2016 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevybuldr (Post 7518661)
OOOHHH his wife must love him. The stuff gets everywhere why would you even consider port heads in the house let alone in your computer room. They will never get that out of the carpet lol.

Renter I bet, LOL

Troy Sr 03-11-2016 05:08 PM

Just ready your whole thread fun read. Make sure to replace those steel freeze plugs with brass while the engine is out!!! Subscribed

Gregski 03-11-2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Sr (Post 7518816)
Just ready your whole thread fun read. Make sure to replace those steel freeze plugs with brass while the engine is out!!! Subscribed

Thank you for reading. I'm trying, two I already did while on the truck, didn't use brass, but plan on using brass from now on, went to AutoZone the other day and they only had one plug, it was brass, but only one, so I bought it.

Today I went in to a different AutoZone on my way home from work, and they too only had one brass freeze plug, so I bought it.

It's not easy! lol

Gregski 03-11-2016 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7518460)
You don't have to go to the extremes as this guy... But yes. Essentially you want the openings to match the gaskets so that you get optimal airflow.

When you put your gasket onto your heads and or intake manifold you will see just how bad the castings and how much material can be removed.

I totally get it, but I must admit the entire time I was watching that guys videos I was counting the ways I can muck these heads up, LOL

On a serious note, the main reason why I don't intend to port these Vortec heads is that everyone claims they are possibly the best GM cast iron heads, well so lets compare apples to apples. My non ported non polished 882s to these non ported non polished 062s.

See how I did that? See how I just got myself out of doing more work, ha ha

Gregski 03-11-2016 09:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7518460)
...Essentially you want the openings to match the gaskets so that you get optimal airflow.

Alright so here is an illustration of what my man is talking about, though I am demonstrating using the exhaust ports and header gasket, but you get the idea.

Basically the holes of the Vortec head and the holes in the Mr. Gasket gasket do not match up, in other words they are not the same exact size. I wonder how much of that bottom 3/16ths of meat could you grind down before hitting a water jacket, or is there even a water passage below the exhaust port, honestly I don't know, and I'm too skierd to find out, ha ha

Gregski 03-11-2016 09:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
and here is how the Mr. Gasket gasket holes match up with the HOOKER 2452 Competition header holes. Pretty good, but maybe they could use a little grindage also, but its risky, as you could cut through the weld and there are thinner walled pipes behind there.

Gregski 03-11-2016 10:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Gentlemen riddle me this:

What are these two small threaded holes for in the back of the engine block one behind each cylinder head?

enaberif 03-11-2016 10:34 PM

Silly Greg I wasn't talking about that side lol. I was talking about intake manifold sides.

chevybuldr 03-12-2016 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7519100)
Gentlemen riddle me this:

What are these two small threaded holes for in the back of the engine block one behind each cylinder head?

Those are for the spark plug wire loom holders.

Jake Wade 03-12-2016 08:19 AM

Greg, do not remove any material from the bottom/floor of the exhaust port. Doing so will actually hurt flow.

Felpro 1444 fits the stock Vortec exhaust ports well.

Gregski 03-12-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7519139)
Silly Greg I wasn't talking about that side lol. I was talking about intake manifold sides.

sorry I assumed and gathered from the video that people port and polish both the intake and the exhaust ports.

Gregski 03-12-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevybuldr (Post 7519382)
Those are for the spark plug wire loom holders.

thank you kindly that helps, much appreciated

Gregski 03-12-2016 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Wade (Post 7519447)
Greg, do not remove any material from the bottom/floor of the exhaust port. Doing so will actually hurt flow.

Felpro 1444 fits the stock Vortec exhaust ports well.

Thank you Jake, I will check it out.

Gregski 03-12-2016 03:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
got the driver side cylinder head all cleaned up just need to disassemble it next to clean the valves, I think it cleaned up pretty good, the black spotting you see that's just black paint from when it was factory painted and not grease

Gregski 03-12-2016 03:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
just a little stare and compare at the way she looked when I got her and now after a short wire brush session

I should show a similar comparison of me before (clean) and after (dirty) after I transffered all the grease and grime from this head and on to myself

Gregski 03-12-2016 03:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
got the crank pulley cleaned