The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Project "It's a Jimmy Thing" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=583528)

JJH Jimmy 05-30-2014 12:16 PM

Re: Project "It's a Jimmy Thing"

5 Attachment(s)
Wow it has been a while since i last updated, but i have been working on the jimmy between the normal spring chores like getting the bikes ready for summer!

I bought the body molding, laid it out and drilled all of the holes.

JJH Jimmy 05-30-2014 12:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After spending so much time lining the doors up i decided to drill and dowel the hinges so it would be easy to put them back in the exact same spot. I just drilled two 1/8" holes in each hinge and pillar and inserted a small piece of 1/8" welding wire in the hole and welded it in.

JJH Jimmy 05-30-2014 12:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Luckily i have a place close to me that rents out a large blasting cabinet by the hour. So i took the day off of work and brought my fenders, doors, cowl and a box of misc. parts to blast.

I then dropped everything off at the painter and he epoxy primed it and is going to paint the inside of the fenders, inside of the doors and the jambs.

I also chemical stripped the hood. There was about 10 layers of paint on it and it took about the same number of applications of the stripper. I used to have a lot of fun with strippers this was definitely an exception.:lol:

JJH Jimmy 05-30-2014 12:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I guess next on the agenda is the assembly when i get my doors and fenders back from the painter so i used the Eastwood metal blackening kit on a bunch of bolts. I blast all of the heads of the bolts first and it works pretty good. I just wonder how long they will keep looking good after it is on the road?

jaros44sr 05-30-2014 01:06 PM

Nice idea on the hinge alignment studs. Nice progress, wish i could say the same for me.
I hit a black layer when i was stripping body panels, and it was a sumb!tch to get off....
Trim looks great on there
Great dirt bike!

JJH Jimmy 06-02-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 6699529)
Nice idea on the hinge alignment studs. Nice progress, wish i could say the same for me.
I hit a black layer when i was stripping body panels, and it was a sumb!tch to get off....
Trim looks great on there
Great dirt bike!

Thanks!

I knew that if i took the doors off without some means to get them back in the same spot i would be kicking myself.

I thought blasting was bad, but the chemical stripper is way worse! I was just afraid that i would warp the hood if i tried to mechanically strip the hood.

I originally was not going to put the trim back on so i welded up all of the holes:dohh: but now i feel it would look naked without it.

I am going to try to ride my dirt bike more this summer. I used to race a couple GNCC's a year, but i would like to get in good enough shape to at least make the last one of the season in Crawfordsville IN. Got to have goals right?

JJH Jimmy 07-03-2014 12:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I don't have a lot of progress to report but i did manage to order my shocks and install them. I also rebuilt my vent windows but it was not that exciting so i didn't take any pictures.

I guess you could say my project is in paint prison. My painter has been swamped so i am still waiting for my doors and fenders to get the jams painted. There is no way i will have this thing done this summer any ways, but i am still planning on having it done in the spring.

JJH Jimmy 07-03-2014 12:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Since i have a little bit of down time from my Jimmy i decided to get out a future project that has been sitting in the weeds at my parents place for about a 20 years! I bought this 51 from my brother in-law when i was 16 and never really didn't anything to it. It supposedly ran when i bought it but never heard it with my own ears. I believe that it has a later model pressurized 235 in it with a 12V system. The plan for now is to get it home and see if i can get it running. I think it would be cool to beat around town in it like it sits until i get the Jimmy done.

When the Jimmy is done it will get stripped down and get independent front, and LS motor. Not sure if i want to make it nice or leave the patina.

JJH Jimmy 07-03-2014 12:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is my 51 after i gave it a bath!

briank 07-03-2014 01:23 PM

Nice, I like AD trucks. I use to have three burbs 48,49 , 52 and a 50 panel before I drifted over to 67-72 k5s and burbs. Id get it mechanically sound and drive it.

JJH Jimmy 09-02-2014 01:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally i can update! My painter called and said he was ready for my jimmy. He wanted me to bring it by so he could touch up the A-pillar where i had the supports when it was on the rotisserie. Since he is only a few miles from me i drove it to his shop. I got some crazy looks driving this thing down the road. I can't believe how well it drives. It shifted and ran great. I guess my front end alignment with a tape measure worked out good and i just need to adjust the drag link a bit so the steering wheel will be straight.

JJH Jimmy 09-02-2014 01:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I also picked up my fenders and doors. They got the block sanded and primed along with the jambs painted. So i spent the weekend taping them off so i could put the Raptor Liner on the insides of the doors and fenders.

JJH Jimmy 09-02-2014 01:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tape job.

JJH Jimmy 09-02-2014 01:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Raptor Liner application.

JJH Jimmy 09-02-2014 01:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Now it is time to put the doors and fenders on!

JJH Jimmy 10-07-2014 09:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well it has been kind of slow going lately. But i did happen to get a windshield and install it. I read a lot of horror stories of installing it with the 72 trim so i watched the Precision video online. I tried it their way of starting at the top and working down but i could not get it to go in. It seem the gravity was working against me. On the second attempt i started at the bottom and work up and it was way easier. Any way here is a couple shots of it installed.

I am now out of things to do until i get it painted. I talked to my painter and he said it was going to be a couple more weeks until he can get it in. Oh well i just want it done before spring.

JJH Jimmy 10-07-2014 09:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A couple more shots.

Tom Vogel 10-07-2014 09:45 AM

Going to be Awesome!

skorpioskorpio 10-07-2014 09:57 AM

I'm sure it's in here somewhere, but the reason for the raptor liner on the inside of the panels is for... ? It looks really cool, just not sure I understand the function.

JJH Jimmy 10-07-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vogel (Post 6870285)
Going to be Awesome!

Thank you! Can't wait to have it on the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio (Post 6870293)
I'm sure it's in here somewhere, but the reason for the raptor liner on the inside of the panels is for... ? It looks really cool, just not sure I understand the function.

No real function other than it looks cool and it gives, the little bit that you see with the hood up, a finished look. Besides i had a couple extra bottles laying around.

skorpioskorpio 10-07-2014 11:15 AM

It does look cool. I was just curious. :lol:

richeilers 10-08-2014 01:36 PM

You should try some CLR on that '51 and see what you think......I guess you got it running?

JJH Jimmy 10-09-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richeilers (Post 6871762)
You should try some CLR on that '51 and see what you think......I guess you got it running?

I think i will eventually and then clear it.

I did get it running and driving but i still need to do a few things before it is road worthy........
rewire the head lights and tail lights
install wood in the bed
install new fuel tank sender
install a set of craigslist tires

Matt's k5 10-09-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy (Post 6870268)
A couple more shots.

where did you get your windshield gasket from? and was there any fitment issues? thanks Matt,

JJH Jimmy 10-09-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt's k5 (Post 6873071)
where did you get your windshield gasket from? and was there any fitment issues? thanks Matt,

I got the gasket from GMC Pauls. It is a Precision brand and it fit good.