The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Reproduction blue K20 hub actuator dials - anyone tried these? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=800576)

DeadheadNM 02-02-2020 11:46 AM

Reproduction blue K20 hub actuator dials - anyone tried these?

1 Attachment(s)
These have been listed on eBay. Has anyone ordered these and can comment on quality and fitment?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-GMC-4...gAAOSwZb9dwdYY

57taskforce 02-02-2020 11:53 AM

Re: Reproduction blue K20 hub actuator dials - anyone tried these?

I was looking at those a week or so ago wondering the same thing Pete. I was too chicken to fork over the cash and have them be junk. I’d love to hear from someone who’s tried them as well.

Joesjunk 02-02-2020 12:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pete, I have a set on an old beater truck. They work just fine and fit good, but the color isn’t even close. They are almost a transparent blue. Most people probably wouldn’t notice, but i do.
I bought a pair of the yellow ones from Dennis Carpenter and painted them the correct color blue. I had 2 broken nos yellow knobs and I took the spicer emblem’s out and used them on my painted knobs.

Here’s those blue repo ones, and the set I painted for my truck

randy500 02-02-2020 02:16 PM

I put the yellow repro knobs on my beater k20 and they fit pretty good, slightly tighter fit in the chrome ring. Work fine though. I got mine from A1vintage

randy500 02-02-2020 02:18 PM

I never thought about painting them, probably do that now, i didnt install the spicer arrow insert yet so i could probably paint them on the truck.

72Cheyenne454 02-02-2020 02:45 PM

Hi Joe,

Those painted dials look great, what paint did you use?

Thanks!

DeadheadNM 02-02-2020 04:09 PM

Very helpful info Joe. Thanks for posting. The painted dials look great. I’m refurbishing my hubs with NOS rings, bolts, and washers so thought I’d look into dial options. My dials are in really decent shape with good color and no gouges - I’d buy a NOS set if available though.

Joesjunk 02-02-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72Cheyenne454 (Post 8671258)
Hi Joe,

Those painted dials look great, what paint did you use?

Thanks!

It’s paint I bought from Frank (pickmup), it’s the color he sells for painting hub cap bow ties

Joesjunk 02-02-2020 08:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8671302)
Very helpful info Joe. Thanks for posting. The painted dials look great. I’m refurbishing my hubs with NOS rings, bolts, and washers so thought I’d look into dial options. My dials are in really decent shape with good color and no gouges - I’d buy a NOS set if available though.

I built these hubs with nos rings and gaskets. I just couldn’t bring myself to use any of my nos blue knobs.

DeadheadNM 02-02-2020 08:53 PM

I couldn’t bring myself to use my NOS rings or bolts when the k20 was restored. I’m ready now and regret not putting more effort into getting a set of dials.

special-K 02-02-2020 09:12 PM

I don't know how many people reproduce these dials, but I bought a pair off Ebay for that price a year or more ago. Very dissatisfied. Like joe said, translucent and also kind of metal flake. There are small flecks of metal in the molding. Also the stickers are all wrong. Instead of a foil type they are a cloisonne type... under clear rounded plastic.

I bought a pair of red reproductions for my GMC from a member here for less and they are very nice. No emblem. I figure someone else made those

Joesjunk 02-02-2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8671450)
I couldn’t bring myself to use my NOS rings or bolts when the k20 was restored. I’m ready now and regret not putting more effort into getting a set of dials.

Pete, those blue eBay knobs would not be acceptable on your orange K/20. Not in my opinion anyway. The yellow knobs actually painted pretty easy. I sanded them real good first, and a few light coats of paint, and they are almost a dead match to my nos ones.

DeadheadNM 02-02-2020 09:34 PM

Good deal. Thanks again.

frankinstein 03-11-2020 06:41 PM

Does any one make a billet version of these?