The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Possible Quadrajet issue (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=828408)

cwcarpenter98 12-03-2021 12:09 AM

Possible Quadrajet issue

1 Attachment(s)
Disclaimer, I haven't rebuilt a carb yet, but at some point I will :lol:

Anyways, of course, my Quadrajet carb book is back at home, so the answer might be in that, but I figured I would ask while I'm still here in Milly.

On the vacuum port circled in red, I pulled the cap off and fuel spilled out :eek:
It doesn't seem that fuel is coming out when the cap is on though. Also, when I put the cap back on, I noticed the port was a little bit loose and air bubbles formed around where the port goes into the carb body.

Picture is from when I first put the carb on the engine over 3 years ago.

Anyone seen that before? Have any advice?

Thanks!

geezer#99 12-03-2021 01:10 AM

Re: Possible Quadrajet issue

It’s a carb vent. Used to vent fumes.
Normally hooked to the charcoal canister with a long hose.
If there’s fuel present it could be from from flooding or from the carb having fuel in the bowl and the carb being tilted forward.

A secondary thought.
The carb return spring should be Hooked rearward as low as possible back to the cable bracket.

cadillac_al 12-03-2021 08:00 AM

I put all my throttle springs toward the front. Putting them toward the rear looks more convenient but that is what wears the throttle shaft bushing.

cwcarpenter98 12-03-2021 03:32 PM

The driveway at my house in Milledgeville does have a bit of a slope down, so when I back in, the nose is definitely not flat. It's running good otherwise, so I'm hoping it's not flooding and that all it is is the parking angle.

On the return spring, I used the one from the old two barrel attached to the factory tab on the oil fill tube. It's been working nicely that way since I put this carb on

crazy longhorn 12-19-2021 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geezer#99 (Post 9002707)
It’s a carb vent. Used to vent fumes.
Normally hooked to the charcoal canister with a long hose.
If there’s fuel present it could be from from flooding or from the carb having fuel in the bowl and the carb being tilted forward.

A secondary thought.
The carb return spring should be Hooked rearward as low as possible back to the cable bracket.

From one geezzer to another....I agree, hook the springs low. IMHO, you will have less wear, & better control on the throttle;) longhorn(the crazy old man). you can take it , for what it is worth.....60,s stuff (factory) put the springs up top.From what I have seen, that caused more wear on the throttle shafts. :smoke: