The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 01-04-2015 05:34 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by slotard (Post 6984963)
Nice. I could use a pair in that color, haven't seen one in a yard though.

hey bro, you're in Cali do you want this one, I will sell it to you for what I paid for it plus I will go pull the other one for you if it helps, I can always get another fender and if it saves you painting yours its a win win, I can even drive it out half way to your house

Gregski 01-04-2015 05:48 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Header Reinstall

3 Attachment(s)
OK got her buttoned up whilst listening to the Colts handle the Bengals on the radio

not perfect, but much cleaner, even wire brushed the manifold bolts, wish I knew how to keep them from rusting again cause painting bolts hasn't worked for me, the paint just twists right off as I install them, also wish some of these pictures came out better

Gregski 01-04-2015 05:50 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Passenger Manifold Comparison

2 Attachment(s)
and this is just to compare how the passenger side exhaust manifold area looked like when I got the truck and how it looks today, a bit of improvement wouldn't you say

68Timber 01-04-2015 07:09 PM

You need to clear those bolts or paint them or something, they rust 10x quicker after being cleaned up w/a wire wheel.

Jake Wade 01-04-2015 08:07 PM

Looks better. Did you install new valve cover gaskets?

Gregski 01-04-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Wade (Post 6985321)
Looks better. Did you install new valve cover gaskets?

Yes back in October when I painted the valve covers. I special ordered these black rubber Mr. Gasket ones. This time I did not take them off although I fully planned on it cause I thought my oil leak was seeping out from the back of the passenger side valve cover, but I don't think that's the case. Now I am leaning towards the rear main seal as being the culprit as my bell housing is full of black oil and grime, not nice.

Gregski 01-04-2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUISER (Post 6985223)
You need to clear those bolts or paint them or something, they rust 10x quicker after being cleaned up w/a wire wheel.

I need to treat them for sure, still looking for a proper solution since I'm not a big fan of paint on the threads and I strip the paint off the heads as soon as I install them, so need something more better, like Eastwoods blackening dip kit.

slotard 01-04-2015 10:23 PM

New bolts are zinc coated in most cases. While they may be a little ugly after the decades, when you strip all the zinc off they get rusty fast like any unpainted steel.

68Timber 01-04-2015 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slotard (Post 6985603)
New bolts are zinc coated in most cases. While they may be a little ugly after the decades, when you strip all the zinc off they get rusty fast like any unpainted steel.

Yeah, I should have explained a little. I helped a friend freshen up the engine bay in a 78 Corvette he's had a loooong time and we did the same thing with all the bolts for the accessory brackets. Three months later they looked like crap and he had to redo them. Another member here found someone local to him that does the zinc plating, apparently it's fairly cheap to do. You might not care to go that far on this truck but I'd at least hit them with satin black or maybe header paint if you have some. Those will rust like they are.

Chaplain 01-05-2015 12:12 AM

Good reading. Nice chronicle.

Gregski 01-06-2015 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 6985860)
Good reading. Nice chronicle.

thank you

Gregski 01-06-2015 09:51 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - TRANSMISSION CONTROL SPARK SYSTEM

I decided I would clean up and decluter the engine bay a bit before bolting on my new intake, carb, and air cleaner, that way I won't get any of that old electrical tape glue and grime on the new shiny bits

so if I may borrow a term from the Import Crowd, I will be "deleting" the Transmission Controlled Spark System, TCS

say what?

The Transmission Controlled Spark System is used on all 10 Series vehicles, C-K20 suburban, G20 Series and G30 Sportvans when equipped with a manual transmission.

lucky me

so what does the TCS do?

Control of exhaust emitted by vehicles using the eight cylinder engines, is accomplished by eliminating ignition vaccum advance when the vehicle is operating in reverse, neutral or low forward gears

sounds great - lets get rid of it

Gregski 01-06-2015 10:12 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - TCS Time Relay

1 Attachment(s)
first we introduce the five usual suspects

TCS Time Relay, this bad boy hides behind the brake booster on the fire wall, I am just going to unscrew it, (one bolt) and leave it plugged in to the wiring harness which will be yanked out anyways

Gregski 01-06-2015 10:19 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - TCS Temperature Switch

1 Attachment(s)
next is the TCS Temperature Switch, this redundant temperature switch lives in the right cylinder head between the #6 and #8 exhaust ports (unlike it's much more useful cousin in the left cylinder head between #1 and #2 exhaust ports)

for now I will just unplug the single green wire from it and leave the temp switch in the head, sometime later on when I feel like draining the coolant (again) I will replace it with a nicer plug

Gregski 01-06-2015 10:23 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - TCS Vacuum Advance Solenoid

2 Attachment(s)
the TCS Vacuum Advance Solenoid sits in the front right of the intake manifold, next to the oil filler cap in the photos, both pictures show the same solenoid just from different angles as it is buried behind the heater core hoses

Gregski 01-06-2015 10:27 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - TCS Idle Stop Solenoid

1 Attachment(s)
the fourth component the TCS Idle Stop Solenoid attaches to the front of the carburetor, shiny bit in the photos, and is there to prevent dieseling

Gregski 01-06-2015 10:37 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - TCS Transmission Switch

1 Attachment(s)
the fifth and the final component is the TCS Transmission Switch located on the lower driver side of the transmission, I plan just to unplug it and leave it there

mine is grimmy but it should look something like this

rusty76 01-07-2015 07:04 PM

Thanks for the info!

Super_Dave 01-08-2015 03:13 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - TRANSMISSION CONTROL SPARK SYSTEM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 6988630)

so if I may borrow a term from the Import Crowd, I will be "deleting" the Transctiption Controlled Spark System, TCS

In our neck of the woods, when we perform certain functions of a similar nature, sometimes involving the use of brass fittings in hot places... we call it "optimizing."

Super_Dave 01-08-2015 03:17 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Header Reinstall

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 6985075)
... wish I knew how to keep them from rusting again cause painting bolts hasn't worked for me, the paint just twists right off as I install them, also wish some of these pictures came out better

Fluid Film. Good for a lot of things...
http://www.fluid-film.com/

Gregski 01-08-2015 11:31 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Removing the TCS Wiring Harness

2 Attachment(s)
Four of the five Transcmission Controlled Spark System components (the Idle Stop Solenoid being the exception) hang off of the same wiring harness, which plugs in to a single brown wire on the firewall leading to the fuse block.

I was able to unplug the harness from all of them except for the Transmission Switch. It is simply impossible to see how it plugs in, and you have to feel up in there, so I am still unable to disconnect the one last final wire to be able to completely remove this wiring harness.

Gregski 01-08-2015 11:34 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Idle Stop Solenoid

2 Attachment(s)
The Idle Stop Solenoid connects to the fuse block using its own single brown wire

Gregski 01-08-2015 11:44 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Engine Wiring Harness

2 Attachment(s)
I am one of those people who needs to know where things go, wants to know where they go and how they work, so i had to gently unwrap the crusty 40 year old wiring harness.

Gregski 01-08-2015 11:48 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Fuse Block Wiring Harness

3 Attachment(s)
I just like to see where these wires go, so here is the fuse block side getting unwrapped

Gregski 01-08-2015 11:53 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Fusible Link

4 Attachment(s)
check out that Fusible Link, looks good right, wait till I unwrap the harness, all of a sudden it doesn't look so good