The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

daddyjeep 01-08-2016 01:41 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by franken (Post 7439226)
None of my business, but I wouldn't do it that way. We/I try not to buy from LMC but that's another story.
The longer bolts in my small mind add leverage at the pivot point, which increases the likelihood the bolt will break in a wreck.
More clever people will chime in, but I'd get SAE washers from napa in the meantime.
The bolt in the pic looks like a floor bolt. Not sure ir they're the same.

Are you referring to the bolt on the B pillar? Is it longer to accommodate trim? I know the ones on my Jeep are long like that so they extend through the roll bar padding.

Gregski 01-08-2016 08:00 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - a GM Haiku

3 Attachment(s)
another day
another part
some say it's junk
I say it's art

68Timber 01-08-2016 08:11 PM

Good to see they got some in stock.

Gregski 01-09-2016 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUISER (Post 7440192)
Good to see they got some in stock.

Actually John they only had the passenger side in stock, they were out of the driver side. I wanted to get both. Summit has both sides but they are $10 bucks more each.

Gregski 01-09-2016 06:15 PM

Wow installing the new replacement window regulator is a bear! Which roller wheels of the three do you put in first? Any tips / advice greatly appreciated.

midnight rambler 01-10-2016 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7441840)
Watch this guy. He's your video counterpart. Not as entertaining as you but he documents like you.

http://youtu.be/ZkbA3iP6Xzo

Ive been following that guy on youtube for awhile he does document every detail

TrailerTrash 01-10-2016 10:31 AM

the seat belt retractors are not supposed to be mounted on the floor. check out my pics in this thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=lmc

Gregski 01-10-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7441840)
Watch this guy. He's your video counterpart. Not as entertaining as you but he documents like you.

http://youtu.be/ZkbA3iP6Xzo

Yes, LOL, thank you I have seen Payton Manings work, ha ha, sorry he sounds like Payton Maning the NFL quarterback. Very nice guy and very detailed videos. He removes the vent window, which is what I finally decided to do, didn't want to at first, but heck maybe that's the only way, we shall see later today, it's Sunday already. Yesterday I gave it three good attempts in between the NFL playoffs, ha ha

y5mgisi 01-11-2016 10:18 PM

I just put my windows back together and can't remember! The biggie is getting the rollers all in BEFORE you bolt the regulator back in and using the window crank to spin the regulator into position.

hawkeyegold 01-12-2016 11:20 AM

just found this gem of a thread... can't put it down!!

68Timber 01-12-2016 12:53 PM

I had the luxury of putting mine in with the vents out. I put the one roller in its track in the door then loosely bolted it in, ran the regulator all the way up out of the door and attached the glass. If you're going to leave the vents in, I think it was Old rusty C10 that posted recently that you can loosen the bottom of the tracks in the door and replace the glass without removing the vent assembly. I don't know if that works but I get to try it soon myself. I bent a regulator and get to replace it. The fun never ends.

Gregski 01-12-2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkeyegold (Post 7444757)
just found this gem of a thread... can't put it down!!

where is it, shoot us a link, ha ha

Gregski 01-12-2016 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7444202)
I just put my windows back together and can't remember!

Ah, Installation Amnesia... nice!

Gregski 01-12-2016 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUISER (Post 7444874)
I had the luxury of putting mine in with the vents out. I put the one roller in its track in the door then loosely bolted it in, ran the regulator all the way up out of the door and attached the glass.

Yup, that's what worked for me too, can't get the window low enuff in the door to slip the second roller in the track cause there is a metal bracket holding the outter door skin to the inside skin, so the only way is to roll the regulator all the way up so the rollers stick out about an inch over the top of the door and slip the glass on the rollers that way.

Gregski 01-12-2016 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
can't believe how long I dragged out this regulator replacement, but oh well, lets get you updated, so the replacement regulator showed up from Rock Auto took about a week, but there was a weekend in between

old and new pic

Gregski 01-12-2016 05:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
so decided to pop out the vent window and its easy to take it out once you know how, LOL

there are 6 fasteners, three philips screws on top, two regular screws behind the door card, and one long skinny screw holding the inside of the side mirror bracket to the outside doorskin from the inside (you'll find it)

the guys video you shared above really helped, kudos to him

Gregski 01-12-2016 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this pesky little welded in bracket is in perfect location to prevent you from being able to slide the window just enough forward while inside the door to get it on the track, thank you very much GM, you must have gotten that from that German conference on Difficultaism, ha ha

Gregski 01-12-2016 05:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ah yes Dorman aftermarket parts. buying Dorman parts is like buying a box of chocolates, you'll never know what you are going to get, these parts are junk, flimzy stuff, they won't last a year, let alone 40

Gregski 01-12-2016 05:36 PM

Ok, so finally did you get it done? well sort of, almost, about 99%

you see now my stock, original door crank won't go all the way on the aftermarket regulator, no I did not strip anything, no I did not butcher it, it goes on fine on my old regulators, yes both of them, both old cranks slide right on both old regulators, but neither one goes on this new replacement one, I wonder if they are rebuilt items or brand new ones, donno

so to quote an astute colleague of ours, John:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUISER (Post 7444874)
...The fun never ends.

I think I am going to buy a brand new replacement crank, who knows maybe if I'm lucky Dorman sells them, ha ha!!!

68Timber 01-12-2016 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7445170)
Ok, so finally did you get it done? well sort of, almost, about 99%

you see now my stock, original door crank won't go all the way on the aftermarket regulator, no I did not strip anything, no I did not butcher it, it goes on fine on my old regulators, yes both of them, both old cranks slide right on both old regulators, but neither one goes on this new replacement one, I wonder if they are rebuilt items or brand new ones, donno

so to quote an astute colleague of ours, John:

I think I am going to buy a brand new replacement crank, who knows maybe if I'm lucky Dorman sells them, ha ha!!!

Man I forgot about that part. I was able to get AC Delco regulators from Rock Auto because my truck is an 85 model and they have different regulators. But even so, I still had to get out the grinder - the original window crank would not seat far enough to get the clip on.

68Timber 01-12-2016 05:48 PM

I had to go look and see what I did - don't grind on the regulator, grind on the window crank. Open up the hole a smidge all the way up to the threads but don't mess with them - it should fit at that point.

68Timber 01-12-2016 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7445181)
Either one of you two fine fellas got pics?

You wouldn't think this would be necessary, but this is the backside of the crank and it was binding up in this hole before I could even get it on far enough for the splines to engage. I removed a little bit at a time until it would fully seat. You don't have to remove any material past the slot that holds the retention clip, that would put you into the splines.

Jeramy 01-12-2016 09:15 PM

Dorman window crank handle part#76912 9 bucks a piece

68Timber 01-12-2016 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7445432)
Hmm...

Yep. Exactly what I was thinking...

Gregski 01-13-2016 09:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
so still trying to get a [ahem] handle on this thing, lol

as much as I appreciate John's advice on grinding out the old handle, for $6 bucks I decided to get a new one from the land of Dormania

Can someone explain to me how in the world GM managed to leave one part alone, virtually unchanged from 1952 to 1996, see APPLICATIONS section in the pic below, did they not get the Make Unecessary Changes BiAnnualy Memo, did someone forget the TPS cover sheet