The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Side glass question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=821506)

Orange71shorty 05-06-2021 03:45 PM

Side glass question

I have a double wall top with tinted glass, and a single wall top that I’d like to put the glass from the double wall top in. Is there a difference?

DeadheadNM 05-06-2021 08:37 PM

Re: Side glass question

Yes. Single wall glass is thinner. The ODs are the same and you can squeeze 2x wall glass into a single wall gasket w just a little bit of resultant wrinkle in a corner or two. You might have luck getting a glass shop to cut correct thickness glass using the 2x wall glass as a template.

hemi43 05-07-2021 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8917896)
Yes. Single wall glass is thinner. The ODs are the same and you can squeeze 2x wall glass into a single wall gasket w just a little bit of resultant wrinkle in a corner or two. You might have luck getting a glass shop to cut correct thickness glass using the 2x wall glass as a template.

FWIW, you need to find a glass shop that can get that glass tempered. Running plate glass is dangerous and illegal.
If you go this route, tell them not to etch "tempered" into the glass. I had a full set of glass made years ago for a custom car, and they etched "tempered" right in the middle. Needless to say they had to redo the complete job.

truckster 05-07-2021 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 8918065)
FWIW, you need to find a glass shop that can get that glass tempered. Running plate glass is dangerous and illegal.
If you go this route, tell them not to etch "tempered" into the glass. I had a full set of glass made years ago for a custom car, and they etched "tempered" right in the middle. Needless to say they had to redo the complete job.

There should be a small tempering bug (that's what it's called in the industry) in one of the lower corners. It's usually less than an inch long and pretty discreet.

Laminated plate glass is a legal alternative. The advantage is that your local glass shop should be able to cut it and it's usually a little less expensive than tempered glass. It can also be trimmed if necessary; once glass is tempered, you're stuck with what you've got.

You can get either laminated plate or tempered in either clear or a variety of tints.

hemi43 05-08-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8918261)
There should be a small tempering bug (that's what it's called in the industry) in one of the lower corners. It's usually less than an inch long and pretty discreet.

Thanks for that, I didn't know they even had a name for it. The glass I had made, "tempered" was about 2" long, and I believe was sandblasted on with the use of a template. Unfortunately they marked it about 3" from the edge. It looked ridiculous.