The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Door edge question before I get too far (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=827993)

Canadian63GMC 11-21-2021 09:11 PM

Door edge question before I get too far

3 Attachment(s)
I’ve been at these doors, getting ready to install lower inner and outter skins, I had some damage from a previous accident (i can only assume) on the lower part of the door plus all of the nasty rust. Check out these pictures and let me know if your 60-63 (possibly 64-66) have this contoured front door edge. Maybe even if someone could post up a pic of there’s? I’d rather bang it flat now if I need to. I think you can see the front curled over lip I’m talking about…. Thanks! Attachment 2147257

Attachment 2147258

Attachment 2147259

SkinnyG 11-21-2021 09:30 PM

Re: Door edge question before I get too far

Do you mean how the edge of the door panel lays over at the flange?

Does not look correct, looks "dented."

Canadian63GMC 11-21-2021 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8998409)
Do you mean how the edge of the door panel lays over at the flange?

Does not look correct, looks "dented."

Yep, that’s where I’m talking about, basically where the skin folds over the flange. It looks like it could be factory but I don’t have anything else to compare it to…

SkinnyG 11-21-2021 11:51 PM

The door skin should be one smooth transition from the fender, through the door, into the cab.

Canadian63GMC 11-22-2021 10:24 AM

Sounds good, I’ll hammer and dolly that front edge flat, thanks!

ApacheNick 11-23-2021 01:38 AM

I just looked at both of my trucks and there should be a slight bend at the front of the door.
I suspect hammering that flat would cause interference problems with the fender.
Your door looks exactly like mine.

Canadian63GMC 11-23-2021 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApacheNick (Post 8998810)
I just looked at both of my trucks and there should be a slight bend at the front of the door.
I suspect hammering that flat would cause interference problems with the fender.
Your door looks exactly like mine.

It looked factory! Haha, maybe I will have to hammer it back now…

Canadian63GMC 11-23-2021 07:43 AM

Anyone else out there able to chime in?

joesscamaro 11-23-2021 09:35 AM

Pretty sure it has that "rolled" edge from the factory. Like Skinny mentioned, if you're going for the seamless look, you would want to correct that. I think it all depends on what look you're going for.

cwcarpenter98 11-23-2021 09:54 AM

My doors have a slight roll over to them. I've seen many builds that made every edge around the door flat and really fine tuned the gaps so that all the panels look perfectly flat from front to back. Looks real nice, but sure is a ton of work. I left my doors the way the factory did

Canadian63GMC 11-23-2021 10:13 AM

Thanks for the info…. I’m kind of right in between now as I’ve hammered the front edge fairly flat… (still a slight roll). not sure which way to go from here. About to weld in the lower skin so I will see how the warpage is and how the forward edge blends together…

bhap 11-23-2021 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic from the assembly manual of the front edge of door to fender. You can see the taper in the front edge of door. Hope this helps.

SkinnyG 11-23-2021 11:16 AM

I apologize for steering you wrong; wasn't my intent.

After warping the hell out of m y door skins with the new bottom skin, I fabricated my own skins and did no such "curve." Last night I took a look at the full skin I removed from one of my doors, and they are curved at the both ends too.

I guess it comes down to what you want. I don't want the curve, so I didn't put any curve in.

My bad. I am pretty ignorant at times....

Canadian63GMC 11-23-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhap (Post 8998881)
Here is a pic from the assembly manual of the front edge of door to fender. You can see the taper in the front edge of door. Hope this helps.

Well look at that… guess I need to hammer it back… try not to make too much of a mess! Thanks for that info!

Canadian63GMC 11-23-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8998894)
I apologize for steering you wrong; wasn't my intent.

After warping the hell out of m y door skins with the new bottom skin, I fabricated my own skins and did no such "curve." Last night I took a look at the full skin I removed from one of my doors, and they are curved at the both ends too.

I guess it comes down to what you want. I don't want the curve, so I didn't put any curve in.

My bad. I am pretty ignorant at times....

Hey all good, more info the better!

66C10LB 11-23-2021 01:01 PM

I am at a similar point, soon repairing my door bottoms like you. I think that the main thing to do is to install the doors on the cab while repairing the door bottoms to ensure that the slight curvature lines up, has proper gapping, and looks appropriate with the cab.

Canadian63GMC 11-23-2021 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66C10LB (Post 8998944)
I am at a similar point, soon repairing my door bottoms like you. I think that the main thing to do is to install the doors on the cab while repairing the door bottoms to ensure that the slight curvature lines up, has proper gapping, and looks appropriate with the cab.

Yeah, I will be hanging doors after stitching in lower skin and before I install the inner skin… I took a lot of tips from GIBSON63 off of YouTube and made a contour template to go off of but which was hard as I had accident damage on the fender and door. Actually used the new fender for part of the template contour. I think I will end up banging this back with the rolled edge like stock. See how it looks first I guess! The outter door skin patch panel had a major flat spot in the middle so I took the English wheel to it to give the bowed out center. Lots of work!

66C10LB 11-23-2021 05:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian63GMC (Post 8998952)
Yeah, I will be hanging doors after stitching in lower skin and before I install the inner skin… I took a lot of tips from GIBSON63 off of YouTube and made a contour template to go off of but which was hard as I had accident damage on the fender and door. Actually used the new fender for part of the template contour. I think I will end up banging this back with the rolled edge like stock. See how it looks first I guess! The outter door skin patch panel had a major flat spot in the middle so I took the English wheel to it to give the bowed out center. Lots of work!

Here is a picture in case it helps...

Canadian63GMC 11-23-2021 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66C10LB (Post 8999062)
Here is a picture in case it helps...

Nice to see someone is having just as much fun as me!

Canadian63GMC 12-03-2021 03:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hope I can post my next question on my same thread and maybe get another question answered. My door that I haven’t started on yet has a bracket noted in the pictures while the right hand door I’m working on doesn’t. I don’t really know what this is for and can’t find it in any catalogue… thoughts? You could tell it used to be there… Attachment 2149622

Attachment 2149623

Attachment 2149624

cwcarpenter98 12-03-2021 11:42 PM

That bracket is for stopping your window regulator in the down position. You can slide the bracket fore or aft depending on how far you want the window to go down into the door

The Rocknrod 12-04-2021 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 9003054)
That bracket is for stopping your window regulator in the down position. You can slide the bracket fore or aft depending on how far you want the window to go down into the door

Yep, if you look through this thread there are pics. - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548837

Canadian63GMC 12-04-2021 12:12 PM

Excellent! Thanks a ton, exactly what I was looking for

Canadian63GMC 12-04-2021 12:29 PM

Hard to find those anywhere!