The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   TBI rebuild (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=828424)

corysam 12-03-2021 07:04 PM

TBI rebuild

1 Attachment(s)
Im kitting the throttle body on my 1991 C1500. Its a Silverado with a 350 & automatic. In the kit there are two tiny pieces that I cant figure out where they go. They're really small and feel like rubber. They look kind of like little screens. I attached a photo. I havent been able to find anything on them online. Except they are in photos of the kits.

Does anybody know what they are or where they go?

thanks

hatzie 12-03-2021 07:14 PM

Re: TBI rebuild

Originally GM put screens on the fuel injectors. I believe that's what those are.
Download the Driveability and service manuals from the 88-98 manuals page. Likely there's info on stripping down the injectors.

I'd download the parts books as well. They're only 88-93. 94-2000 are on Microfiche only.

I've never stripped one down and rebuilt one of these TBI throttle bodies. They can't be any worse than a Rochester Quadrajet. Hopefully someone that's done one of these units will chime in.

Boog 12-03-2021 09:42 PM

Many years ago I rebuilt the throttle body on my 88 gmc. Nothing to it. I do remember there were screens in the injectors but I do not remember those items you pictured. What brand rebuild kit did you buy?
Last week I rebuilt the throttle body on my 91 chevy. There were no screens in that Standard brand kit and the injectors are staked so I couldn't open them up anyway. There was nothing to replace in the injectors so no need to open them.
A TBI is super easy to work on with very few parts to it.
Yes, easier than a Qjet. :lol:

corysam 12-04-2021 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the help. The manuals helped. In the one titled X9136_1991_GMC_Light_Duty_Truck_Fuel_and_Emissions_Including_Driveability I found a reference to the fuel injector inlet filter so I searched around some and found out thats what these are. The are located in the side of the injector. I haunt even noticed them before. I appreciate the help.

By the way, kitting this throttle body is much easier that a quadrajet. Fewer parts and none of the adjustments like a quadrajet. You just clean it and put it back together. I added a pic of the hole where the filter goes.

Just call me Sean 12-04-2021 11:06 PM

Cool. Thanks for the pic. I "rebuilt" a few but it has been a long time so I don't remember those.

hatzie 12-05-2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corysam (Post 9003149)
Thanks for the help. The manuals helped. In the one titled X9136_1991_GMC_Light_Duty_Truck_Fuel_and_Emissions_Including_Driveability I found a reference to the fuel injector inlet filter so I searched around some and found out thats what these are. The are located in the side of the injector. I haunt even noticed them before. I appreciate the help.

By the way, kitting this throttle body is much easier that a quadrajet. Fewer parts and none of the adjustments like a quadrajet. You just clean it and put it back together. I added a pic of the hole where the filter goes.

No problem

I kinda figured they would be pretty simple. I've just never needed to mess with one.
No fuel sitting in the main body of the unit to gum up the works like a Possible loose bushings on the throttle plates are likely the hardest issue to deal with.