The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 01-31-2015 01:15 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7025794)
... But I really like the work you're doing. ... Keep the progress coming.

Greg

Why thank you Greg I appreciate the kind words and all the advice

Gregski 01-31-2015 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7026886)
Keep on pluggin. You are doing a dang good job.

Thank you Rusty!

Gregski 01-31-2015 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by portrodder (Post 7027094)
Great work and enjoying your build, keep it coming.

Thank you Mr. Retired, lol

Gregski 01-31-2015 01:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
got going on Rusty again today, wanted to button him up

first put in the second push in breather in the driver side valve cover

AutoZone only stocks one of these breathers and one of the rubber base grommets so I had to hit a couple stores to get em

Gregski 01-31-2015 01:41 AM

5 Attachment(s)
next it was time to replace the stock thermostat housing ie water outlet, I really don't care for chrome bits, I just wanted something without that ugly therma switch double nipple appendage

I believe the kind I got comes with a built in rubber O ring so I didn't even need the typical gasket, maybe somebody can confirm that for me

it even came with auto/car style bolts, so I didn't have to go to the hardware store, I was glad since the new housing is way taller on one side for some odd reason so it requires a longer bolt

I even used anit sieze and torqued the bolts to 25 ft lbs, the manual said 30 but this new part is not at hard as the stock one it feels a bit flimzy so I took it easy

Gregski 01-31-2015 01:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
man the new water outlet looked great - - - TOO BAD IT WAS WRONG!!!

I forgot that the alternator bracket mounts to one of the water outlet bolts, silly rabbit

so out came the wire wheel and I had to clean the old special bolt for reuse

then loosen both bolts and start torquing all over again ~ fun

honestly I knew there was something special about this water outlet bolts but I thought I would have to buy the longer bolt, when I realized it came with the housing I got so excited I forgot about his neighbor with special skills on the other side

Gregski 01-31-2015 01:57 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7025794)
By the way, you could run your brake booster off the tapped hole in the manifold that you plugged, instead of the carb, if that gives you a cleaner setup.

Greg

Good call Greg (and others who have suggested I do that), thank you

Gregski 01-31-2015 02:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
next I cleaned and reinstalled the original hard fuel line, I didn't think it would be wise to run a 4 foot all rubber fuel line to the fuel pump from the carburetor

I still need to resolve the threaded end on the hard line situation to mate it to the 3/8ths nipple on the new carb

Gregski 01-31-2015 02:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
cleaned up a bit the space where the alternator lived

sharing a before and after pic

Gregski 01-31-2015 02:15 AM

4 Attachment(s)
no sense in dropping a dirty alternator into that clean new space so I gave it a bit of a gentle back scrub with the ol' wire wheel

Gregski 01-31-2015 02:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
also didn't paint the alternator bracket because eventually I will relocate the alternator lower using one of them mid mount set ups, and I don't like painting in the winter time

I degreased the bracket and yes it looks like crap

Gregski 01-31-2015 02:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the third throttle linkage bracket had not shown up yet so I mounted up the second one I got for now (just to pull the truck out of the garage and into the driveway, the lady of the house wants her space back)

Gregski 01-31-2015 02:23 AM

at this point I found myself saying, my god man when did you take off all these parts, and how many more are there to put back on...

...ever had one of 'em revelations ...

Gregski 01-31-2015 02:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
decided this was as good of a time as any to pull that pink resistor ignition wire and replace it with a regular one, since I had to wire up the electric choke and all

I ended up using a brown wire I yanked out during the SMOG system deletion phase, this is a temporary solution till I find the right wire at the junkyard

today's mission was get that ol' truck running at any cost

Gregski 01-31-2015 02:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
at this point I was feeling anxious, just wanted to hear this thing run, and my work was getting sloppy

for example I didn't bother wire wheeling the old distributor hold down bracket notice the specs of orange paint left on it (now that's not like me, did I run out of beer or something?)

Gregski 01-31-2015 02:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I also mickey moused the rubber fuel line to the hard line, man I had to hear this thing run ~ tonight, tomorrow I would go to NAPA and find a female 3/8ths NPT with a 1/8th barb thingie, and maybe even pop in an inline fuel filter, scouts honor

Gregski 01-31-2015 02:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
battery connected, everything buttoned up, fluids going in

Gregski 01-31-2015 02:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
... and then DISASTER struck !!!

68post 01-31-2015 02:55 AM

UH-OH ! That's a big leak !

Gregski 01-31-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68post (Post 7027476)
UH-OH ! That's a big leak !

Yup, I don't recon this is what they mean when somebody says:

"You've flooded the engine!" LOL

Gregski 01-31-2015 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
guys first of all the new intake manifold only flooded on one side, the passenger side, weird, I have never seen that happen before and this is the fourth manifold I have replaced in my illustrious shade tree mechanic career, JK, and the first I had a problem with

Please Note: That all the other manifolds were always stock OEM ones that I removed, cleaned, and replaced gaskets, then installed them back in. This is the first time dealing with an after market one. But trust me the only thing I am blaming here is myself, not the parts. I took a straight edge to the manifold and it seems fine, no gaps or warps.

I got to tell you that after the swift kick to the groin pain subsided I did not even let one expletive fly, instead I went Def Con Three and had that new manifold off the engine in 7 minutes Pit Crew Style

Jake Wade 01-31-2015 12:08 PM

Greg, Get some Felpro gaskets part # 1256, they work a lot better for aluminum intakes.

The gaskets you used should not have leaked like that though, I have used them in that application.

Gregski 01-31-2015 12:09 PM

It is Saturday morning and I just tried to call Holley Technical Support ASK OUR EXPERTS: 1-866-464-6553

Voice message says Our Office is Now Closed our hours are M - F 8 to 5:30 and Saturday 8 - 2 Central Time

So why are they closed? It's only 8 am Pacific Time

Gregski 01-31-2015 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Wade (Post 7027733)
Greg, Get some Felpro gaskets part # 1256, they work a lot better for aluminum intakes.

The gaskets you used should not have leaked like that though, I have used them in that application.

Thanks Jake, dang it that's exactly what the Weiand instructions recommend, and that's exactly what I asked for at AutoZone, and they gave me a FelPro gasket which I thought was it, the number on it is MS90314-3 but I thought that was Autozone's part number (cause its in a different format and all) for the same thing.

Kooglie Mooglie, guys you just have to watch out for yourselves cause no one cares more about your truck than you do!

I will try to post a pic of the correct / proper 1256 gasket below, because sharing is caring, lol

Gregski 01-31-2015 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is the bad gasket that I got