The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 08-29-2015 09:12 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

3 Attachment(s)
shot the sticks with some paint over rust primer and went after the mud flap thingies, cleaned them up best I could, we're not going for SEMA perfection here folks, a splash of acid to keep the rust at bay, and some more wire wheelin' and they should be good to go

pardon the mess in the new paint booth, some moving boxes are still lingering around

Zayzay 08-31-2015 02:05 PM

Nice to see you at it again. It the little things that set your build/rebuild apart from the rest......Hope to see more soon.

77K10Silverado 09-01-2015 11:12 AM

$$$$

Gregski 09-02-2015 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
happy Labor Day my truck brothers n sisters

Greg n Rusty

rusty76 09-02-2015 09:06 PM

Let's go camping.

Gregski 10-03-2015 10:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Busted Knuckles Garage caught up with The Greg tonight as he made his triumphant return to the garage after that horrific back accident suffered on his driveway while starring at his truck

BKG: so Greg how does it feel to be out there again?

The Greg: Feels great, the weather is great I feel good, it was good to get back out there.

BKG: Man at 43 years old what drives you to get out there and compete [ahem] wrench like that?

The Greg: Well I do it for the fans, no seriously I just love competing [I mean] wrenchin.

BKG: Well tell us what went through your mind during those first few plays [ahem] spanner turns.

The Greg: It felt great I didn't know if I could handle the 9/16th yet but tonight we just went with the 1/2 inch all the way around, the ratchet felt great in my hand.

Gregski 10-03-2015 11:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
BKG: Although you got the [win] job done today, do you think like maybe you came back too soon?

The Greg: No I feel the [offensive line] the jacks gave me good protection all night and our [defense] radio played great the entire [game] time I was in the garage no static at all

BKG: What do you have to say to all the haters out there who think you dragged out this bed replacement too long?

The Greg: This month we will take on the suspension!

BKG: Can you take the abuse weekend after weekend like this?

The Greg: We're on to suspension next!

BKG: Any thoughts on retirement?

The Greg: We're on to Suspension!!!

Gregski 10-03-2015 11:11 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - How Low Can We Go?

1 Attachment(s)
whoa that whole BKG was totally wierd...

so LMC Truck has a lovely set of diagrams in their parts catalog on page 60 that shows you the stock height of the truck plus explains the cool kid terminology of; Lower, Drop, and Slam

Gregski 10-03-2015 11:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I plan on doing this in phases (surprise). First phase will be the Lowering phase with brand new proper height 2" shorter coil springs up front and 2" longer leaf spring shackles in rear.

Now why are we doing this? Your truck is just fine Greg leave it alone, GM knows what they is doing.

Well, Rusty is a 2WD two wheel drive, not a 4x4 so it sits a bit too high, and more importantly I have never done this before. I have never lowered any vehicle (my '69 Bug excluded) so I needs to and wants to learn how its done.

Some pricing comparison fer you:

PART - - - - - LMC - - - - - McGAUGHYS

Springs - - - $150 - - - - - - - $129

Shackles - - $60 - - - - - - - $47

So I ordered from McGauphys (I am not afiliated with them in any way) this is my first purchase from them, found them on eBay but decided to order direct from their website, I believe they are out of Phoenix, Arizona. FREE shipping and no TAX

Gregski 10-03-2015 11:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
alright so first we take some measurements

Disclaimer the numbers I give you may not match the photos as it was tough to keep the tape from moving when I backed away to take the photos

Front fender above wheel center - 31 1/4 inches

Rear fender above wheel center - 32 1/4 inches

I also measured the gaps between the top of the tire and the fenders.

Front Gap 3 1/2 inches

Rear Gap 4 1/2 inches

I was too lazy to check the tire pressure so I may be 1/4 inch lower all the way around than normal (compared to my numbers I took a few months ago when I had the tires inflated to I think 35 PSI)

flashed 10-04-2015 09:16 AM

Good to see you back at it ,Im still in.Busted Knuckle Garage just happens to be my fictional garage name used on my account at the local parts store so I get a nice discount and free delivery to my work which was their idea as they wont deliver to a non business.

rusty76 10-04-2015 06:00 PM

I feel the suspension will go down

MannyDantyla 10-05-2015 04:29 PM

He's still at it!

MannyDantyla 10-05-2015 04:36 PM

How many quarts of Herculiner did you need? Do you recommend it?

I'm painting the inside of my bed soon, like this week maybe. I was going to use Rustoleum bed liner but I just used it on my floorboards and it doesn't have a nice texture like the way yours turned out, from the looks of the pics at least.

Gregski 10-06-2015 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MannyDantyla (Post 7331127)
How many quarts of Herculiner did you need?

Sorry but I don't recall but it's in the original thread how many I used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MannyDantyla (Post 7331127)
Do you recommend it?

Yes I would, make sure you do two coats, I'm not sure if I did two coats but two coats gives you better eveness. Also this stuff is pretty rough / lumpy / harsh (big speckles not tiny ones like some) you wouldn't want to slide your butt on it, LOL, but hey its durable

Gregski 10-06-2015 09:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ah Yeah.... Christmas in October, baby!!!

Gregski 10-06-2015 11:30 PM

FYI, each one of those front coil springs weighs 15 lbs. wow

Gregski 10-07-2015 02:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
guys I don't mean to ask a dumb question but did all C10 1/2 ton short bed trucks come with a stabilizer bar in the front in 1974, as seen in the graphic below from a 1974 Manual, cause my GMC aint got one, no bar, no brackets on the frame rails, but it does have the holes for them and holes in the lower control arms

69heavychevy 10-07-2015 03:53 AM

No, my 80 doesn't have any of that either. But I have seen plenty of trucks with the brackets on the frame but no sway bar.
I'll be adding a sway bar from a 1 ton later on.

mcmlxix 10-07-2015 04:30 AM

Like any other car or truck of the 60s 70s 80s etc.... it was probably an option.... check the box on the order form get a sway bar; don't check the box, no sway bar for you...

Just head to the junk yard and grab one off a 3/4 ton truck...

enaberif 10-07-2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmlxix (Post 7332918)
Like any other car or truck of the 60s 70s 80s etc.... it was probably an option.... check the box on the order form get a sway bar; don't check the box, no sway bar for you...

Just head to the junk yard and grab one off a 3/4 ton truck...

Sway bars came in multiple sizes. Whichever sway bar you grab you need to ensure you get the proper bushings.

rusty76 10-07-2015 04:08 PM

I didn't have the one on my 76 but I added one later own. I personally cannot tell a difference in handling. I'm sure it probably does but I never could really really tell a difference. I think if I drove my truck really hard I would have noticed a difference. Can't wait to see your truck lowered.

Rich84 10-07-2015 04:21 PM

Get one..You won't be sorry.

Gregski 10-07-2015 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmlxix (Post 7332918)

Thank you all for replying, this reply in particular makes sense, it must have been so cool to go car / truck shopping back then when it actually mattered and meant something, as compared to these days when we buy essentially appliances with useless dealer options / add ons, I don't mean to turn this in to a tangent rant, but recently I leased a vehicle that came with a stupid bundle that included the reverse camera, give me a break, no seriously give me the $1,500 bucks off and keep your stupid camera

Gregski 10-07-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7333377)
I didn't have the one on my 76 but I added one later own. I personally cannot tell a difference in handling...

Thank you for your honest feedback, I think if I was to add one I would be in the same boat as you, plus being a minimalist, it aint got one now, so does it really need one? I see others replied already and insist I git one, so The Greg is naturally perplexed on this one. ha ha

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7333377)
Can't wait to see your truck lowered.

Yeah you and me both Rusty!

riz 10-07-2015 08:12 PM

there was actually a thread that stated the pros and cons.......and I swear some said their truck handled worse after adding sway bars. I can't remember why or how it felt worse but maybe do a search for that particular thread.

I can't wait to see pics as you install the lowering kit !

RIZ

enaberif 10-07-2015 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riz (Post 7333618)
there was actually a thread that stated the pros and cons.......and I swear some said their truck handled worse after adding sway bars. I can't remember why or how it felt worse but maybe do a search for that particular thread.

I can't wait to see pics as you install the lowering kit !

RIZ

If a sway bar is too large or not installed properly then yes it can be worse. But a properly installed sway bar you won't even notice it unless your driving really crazy.

Gregski 10-08-2015 10:39 AM

Well good morning, took a day off today to work on the truck. I would like to see if we can lower it 2 inches all the way around in one day. My teenage son offered to help. Now we don't have to get it done in one day, we don't need to get it done in one day, but we want to see if we can. So after I put some pants on and have a cup of coffee we will commence at 0800 hours. As we take some breaks I will try to give you guys some live updates to help document the process, maybe ask for some advice, etc.

So Rule #1. Don't Get Dead!

y5mgisi 10-08-2015 10:41 AM

Sweet! Good luck! You know you might have to trim the bed floor brace to fit the new shackle in right? No big deal as long as your prepared for it.

Gregski 10-08-2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7334203)
You know you might have to trim the bed floor brace to fit the new shackle in right?

Yes sir, ready to do that if that's what it takes.

Gregski 10-08-2015 01:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Alright so two hours later one side was out. This side I figure took a bit longer as there was some figuring out to do.

so you jack up the truck and set it on a jack stand, I only did one corner for extra safety and stability

you remove the front shock lower bolt and wiggle it out of the way

(if you have a stabilizer bar you need to remove that as well, I didn't)

Remember, Cheater Bars are your friend!

Gregski 10-08-2015 01:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Please note the two safety precautions I took.

1. I used a chain to wrap and secure the coil spring to the lower control arm so it don't go flying across the garage.

2. I used a hold down strap to wrap around a bunch of times over the top of the jack and the round rear bar of the lower control arm, so as I lowered it the jack would not slide out.

Gregski 10-08-2015 01:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
then you undo the two horse shoe U bolts held on with 2 nuts on each side, (you may have to dig through some dirt and grime to find them, I did not get too caught up in clean up during this operation as I will paint these parts later, later on) this separates the lower control arm from below the cross member/fame rail

that is the key you undo the back of the setup, not the front like on every TV show we have seen where they go to replace the spindles

Gregski 10-08-2015 01:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
and then the coil spring was out, naturally we have to compare the old and the new, and it appears as the old one is roughly 14" and the new one about 12" (the angle in that camera shot makes the old spring look like its 15" but it's not)

so if we allow for some sag, divide by the circumference of the earth, lets see, carry the one, ah yes we should get roughly a 2" drop, well we shall see

Gregski 10-08-2015 02:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
and four hours into it, one side in the front was done

the installation is the reversal of removal, LOL

Gregski 10-08-2015 02:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
with the wheel on and one side done, I took a preliminary measurement, and sure enuff we got about a 2" drop, the other side of course will have to go down, and I am sure the coils will settle a bit

y5mgisi 10-08-2015 03:03 PM

Good progress!

Chaplain 10-08-2015 03:43 PM

Nice job. I'm right behind you. I've been cleaning and painting in preparation for installing new suspension parts.

Gregski 10-08-2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7334509)
Good progress!

Thank you.

Gregski 10-08-2015 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7334539)
Nice job. I'm right behind you. I've been cleaning and painting in preparation for installing new suspension parts.

Coolness, have you picked a parts vendor yet?