The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 10-31-2015 07:12 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

4 Attachment(s)
using a paper towel in there because the metal is not flat its a bit convex

and then we let it set, we wait, and we wait

Gregski 10-31-2015 07:14 PM

That's it for today, wondering if I should move this contraption in the garage for the night, or not mess with it and leave it outside over night - gonna be 56*F tonight - but shoot rain tomorrow

Chaplain 11-01-2015 12:09 AM

Yessir the seat bolted right in.

flashed 11-01-2015 01:14 PM

Cant wait to see more of this .

Gregski 11-01-2015 10:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7361158)
Cant wait to see more of this .

alright, here you go then

Gregski 11-01-2015 10:53 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - JB Welding The Dash Cover

5 Attachment(s)
and the bandages come off

Gregski 11-01-2015 10:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
lots of silly pics of lots of silly holes

Gregski 11-01-2015 10:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
so it took 6 hours to set and 24 hours to cure, so I removed the C clamps and magnets after 24 hours - trust me the waiting was the hardest part, going to bondo the holes next, maybe tomorrow

here is the belly

UKNOWME 11-01-2015 10:59 PM

Can't wait!

enaberif 11-01-2015 11:43 PM

Don't bondo them... Just use more JB weld and it will cure like metal and look 100x once you've sanded it all down good.

hatzie 11-01-2015 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7361847)
Don't bondo them... Just use more JB weld and it will cure like metal and look 100x once you've sanded it all down good.

X2 on that...
Bondo will crack at the parting line with the holes. Lab Metal or JB Weld epoxy will not.

oldgymnast 11-02-2015 01:00 PM

Looks great. Cannot wait to see the final product. Been wondering what to do with my dash so you may have just provided the answer.

flashed 11-02-2015 01:09 PM

I might have to try this on Clarence (my 74 stepper) someday if I dont sell him off.

edward61 11-03-2015 02:24 PM

Look's good any updates ?

Big Daddy Draayom 11-03-2015 06:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Gregski, you inspired me! Picked up a donor bed today. I will be using the base, front and wheel wells. My original looks like it was used to haul loose cannon balls. Sorry, about the upside down pics.

Gregski 11-03-2015 06:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
thanks, man you were giving me virtigo - ha ha

Gregski 11-03-2015 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edward61 (Post 7363678)
Look's good any updates ?

Sorry, got a little side tracked

Daughter Knows How To Get Dads Attention

edward61 11-03-2015 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7363905)
Sorry, got a little side tracked

Daughter Knows How To Get Dads Attention

Cool it happens :metal:

Chaplain 11-03-2015 09:46 PM

Family first

Gregski 11-03-2015 11:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
so couple of weeks ago I got one of these $20 bucks off Rewards for being a ToolKit member at our local Pick n Pull junkyards

What to spend it on?

Gregski 11-03-2015 11:59 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Side Mirrors

4 Attachment(s)
Well I've been thinking about replacing my perfectly good chrome side mirrors with some black rectangular ones, now I appreciate chromes durability, but I aint no fan of shinny things on my truck, you know what they say, chrome won't get you home but black will get you back...

and so we found ourselves this beautiful 1986 Dodge Ram 50 and stripped its ears off

Gregski 11-04-2015 12:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
not bad for $10 bucks with that coupon discount

Gregski 11-04-2015 12:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
here's how the two mirrors compare

Gregski 11-04-2015 12:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
we came home after work and just had to try them on for size, the holes are close but off by about 1/4 inch

Gregski 11-04-2015 12:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
we mounted one mirror with one screw for mock up, what do you all think?

enaberif 11-04-2015 12:10 AM

1) Do your wing windows work?
2) Can you actually see out of those?

I often found even the dumbo mirrors could block the view at times. Those look even smaller and to close to the doors.

UKNOWME 11-04-2015 12:12 AM

Different but I don't think they look right.

Gregski 11-04-2015 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7364248)
1) Do your wing windows work?
2) Can you actually see out of those?

I often found even the dumbo mirrors could block the view at times. Those look even smaller and to close to the doors.

You are good my friend, it did seem too close to the door. Of course I have not driver the truck yet, but the wing window pillar already seemed in the way, hey can't blame a man for trying.

68Timber 11-04-2015 12:31 AM

The dumbo mirror's don't get much love but it's still a big mirror with decent view and "correct". You can get a white set and paint them to match.

Gregski 11-04-2015 11:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7361847)

Well the Tribe has spoken, we'll be using JB Weld.

So we hit O'Really's and picked up a jumbo tube of the stuff, $20 bucks for the 5 oz tubes instead of the little 1 oz tubes

Gregski 11-04-2015 11:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
after changing into some work clothes we threw the dash on our [ahem] mobile work bench and mixed the white stuff with the black stuff 50 fifty like the recipie tells us to

now I must say, this stuff was difficult to work with, I don't know if I did something wrong but the goop was runny, not like water, but slowly shifting, it got to the point where I couldn't work on the dash in the vertical position but had to lay it horizontally or the goop would glide away

now as I type this post, I recall AutoZone had the fast drying type aka the J-B Kwik (dries in 6 minutes), but I thought who the heck needs that, I got time, ha ha

Gregski 11-04-2015 11:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
i know the rule of body work is the less bondo you use the less you'll have to sand, but at this point I didn't care how much I would have to sand, I just wanted those stupid round holes to disappear - know what I'm sayin

I was beginning to wonder if 65* F maybe was too cold to applicate this product, I don't know, seemed warm enuff

just showing you how much goop we had left, this may be a two step process, goop some on, sand it off, goop some more on until the holes are completely full and then sand it off again

enaberif 11-04-2015 11:37 PM

You need to treat JB Weld just like bondo.

The dark stuff is essentially the metal part and the white stuff is the catalyst. Depending on how fast you want it to set you can add more or less white stuff.

Who much white will make it harden too fast though.

Gregski 11-04-2015 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7365413)
You need to treat JB Weld just like bondo.

The dark stuff is essentially the metal part and the white stuff is the catalyst. Depending on how fast you want it to set you can add more or less white stuff.

Who much white will make it harden too fast though.

Thank you for the tip, does the ratio effect its strength I wonder? Like for example is the 50 black/50 white mix stronger than the 25 black/75 white mix?

enaberif 11-05-2015 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7365419)
Thank you for the tip, does the ratio effect its strength I wonder? Like for example is the 50 black/50 white mix stronger than the 25 black/75 white mix?

My thought process was always the faster it hardens the more brittle it could be so I've always tried to mix it just slightly under like 75/25 instead where its not so runny or weird but still dries plenty hard.

rich weyand 11-05-2015 01:26 AM

I love the stuff. Runny initially, but it starts thickening pretty quick, and you can manipulate it all the way to where it is like clay. It will run though if left "other than horizontal" even when it is pretty thick. If you have the hole you are filling horizontal, and you put enough to fill the hole, even as a glop in the middle, it will flatten itself out. I let it dry overnight before putting the thing vertical, or it will ooze out even hours after applied.

I discovered some cheese cloth in my drivers floor pan under the point of the wing vent where water drips. I will probably skin it with JBWeld, but I will apply painters tape to the underside to keep it from oozing out of the holes until it cures.

Crcrft78 11-06-2015 04:03 AM

For the last two days I have been reading this thread, its great. This is like the "GO TO" thread for your project. You do a little bit of everything and anyone looking for help is bound to find it in this thread.

rusty76 11-06-2015 07:40 PM

Agreed ^^^^

Gregski 11-06-2015 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crcrft78 (Post 7366679)
For the last two days I have been reading this thread, its great. This is like the "GO TO" thread for your project. You do a little bit of everything and anyone looking for help is bound to find it in this thread.

Thanks bud, there's more to come.

Gregski 11-06-2015 08:33 PM

I'm sure you at one time found yourself jumping from one thing to another one project to another when working on your Pick Ups. Well I feel like that's happened to me so it's time to make a list of what we have going on here before we go crazy:

1. As you all know October was the National Lower Your Truck Month (ok, I just made that up), but The Greg was trying to lower his truck but hit a snag when the McGauphy's front coil springs sagged more than expected.

2. So he, being out of money for the month, decided to do the Mad Dash. Remember our budget is around $300 bones per month. Well after stripping the dash to bare metal and JB Welding it, we had to wait for things to dry and for the textured paint we ordered.

3. So the knucklehead went out and bought a Tinted Slider Rear Window. But did he install it, no sirie bob, he had no money for the new rubber seal, so what did he end up doing?

4. He went out and bought a seat, well technically Seat Cushions. OK, awesome and got the seat done? Negative Ghost Rider, he had no money for the seat vynil covers! So then what did he do?

5. Well naturally he bought some new used side mirrors! Great, so we can check that off the list? Not so fast McFly, we did not like them, they are too small, can't see nothin out of them, going to buy new aftermarket ones instead!!!

SAY WHAT! This does not sound like our Greg!