The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

UKNOWME 11-06-2015 10:03 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

So after all the negatives how about some positive updates. Besides you're positive you are out of cash!

sic_F44 11-06-2015 10:46 PM

i love this build, been following for months! Finally got back on my build because of you. Keep it coming

Gregski 11-07-2015 12:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by UKNOWME (Post 7367387)
So after all the negatives how about some positive updates. Besides you're positive you are out of cash!

LOL, yep, so here we go, using my November truck budget ordered some 2" drop front coil springs from LMC truck and some 2" leaf spring hangers for the rear... and today the package arrived

I said this before and I'll point it out again, LMC Truck needs to send their shipping and receiving folks to Packaging 101 class, come on man!!! Yes those two small boxes are what was inside that huge box that a grown man could fit into.

Gregski 11-07-2015 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Are you kidding me?

Did LMC Truck just really send me mcgauphys front coil springs?

The exact same part number ones and everything!!!

I even called them and asked if they could tell me what brand their coil springs were and the lady said she did not have that information!!!

I even emailed McGauphys and asked them why their leaf spring hangers cost more than LMC Truck ones and was told because LMC Truck does not sell McGauphys parts!!!

Not cool man!!!

arky78 11-07-2015 12:09 AM

I've been following your build awhile, lots of great ideas. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to more.

Gregski 11-07-2015 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sic_F44 (Post 7367435)
i love this build, been following for months! Finally got back on my build because of you. Keep it coming

Cool bud, is it getting cold where you are at, the weather here in Norther California went from 95*F to 55*F in one day, and for us fair weather wimps that is freezing

Gregski 11-07-2015 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arky78 (Post 7367503)
I've been following your build awhile, lots of great ideas. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to more.

Thanks man, needless to say I am in a bit of a funk right now, but we shall over come!

Gregski 11-07-2015 12:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Dude, what was in the other box?

... aight then!

enaberif 11-07-2015 12:34 PM

Have fun with those rivets for the old hangars! I used cut off wheels and a grinding pad for the fronts. Then just knocked them through the frame.

Still a ton of work though.

Gregski 11-07-2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7367827)
Have fun with those rivets for the old hangars! I used cut off wheels and a grinding pad for the fronts. Then just knocked them through the frame.

Still a ton of work though.

I know, it took me a while just to remove the stock exhaust pipe hangers, they were some serious brackets not like the tack welded junk Midus puts on these days, ha ha

Did you have to remove the side mounted fuel tank from the passenger side to get to that hanger, or can it be done with 16 gallons of fuel strapped to the truck?

muthstryker 11-07-2015 01:09 PM

I drilled out the rivets with a 1/2" step bit on a cordless impact driver. Was faster than grinding and hammering out.

Gregski 11-09-2015 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muthstryker (Post 7367854)
I drilled out the rivets with a 1/2" step bit on a cordless impact driver. Was faster than grinding and hammering out.

Good tip, never would have considered using an impact driver to drill with, might have to try it.

enaberif 11-09-2015 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7367841)
I know, it took me a while just to remove the stock exhaust pipe hangers, they were some serious brackets not like the tack welded junk Midus puts on these days, ha ha

Did you have to remove the side mounted fuel tank from the passenger side to get to that hanger, or can it be done with 16 gallons of fuel strapped to the truck?

I have a long bed with I think the 20 gallon tanks. I only removed the rears not the fronts so I have no idea how the fronts will be lol.

Gregski 11-09-2015 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
alright so returned the second set of the MCGauphys coil springs to LMC Truck today, the US Post Office wanted $68 bucks to ship them back in the original box, so I said I have a bettter idea lets see if they fit in your large Flat Rate Box, which they did, so that only cost me $17 dollars

68Timber 11-09-2015 08:11 PM

The good news is the monthly truck budget is getting a refund!:metal::lol:

Front Range 11-09-2015 08:20 PM

Never heard of MCGauphys coil springs. Are they a crap brand??

Gregski 11-09-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Front Range (Post 7370619)
Never heard of MCGauphys coil springs. Are they a crap brand??

2" Shorter Coil Springs = 4" Drop ?!

Gregski 11-09-2015 09:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
well what do we have here, Christmas in November?

why its our $6 dollar 4x10 speaker grill complements The eBay, I recon this will do us just fine, it's amazing what you can find On The Line these days, ha ha (movie reference anybody?)

Gregski 11-10-2015 09:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
let me give you some updates, I am still all over the place juggling about 5 different things, hoping to wrap them all up soom

picked up another side mirror today from a local truck shop for $14 bucks this one is an aftermaket product from a company called K Source and model # 1001, its better than the junk yard ones because it needs no drilling of new holes as it has a universal bracket, but I will probably return it, as it is a car mirror and not a truck mirror, they also make a black truck mirror so we may try that

a reminder why we are doing this, simple I want black square mirrors, why not paint the ones I got? cause painting chrome sux

Gregski 11-10-2015 09:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
and here's what the K Source 1001 looks like on the truck, still a bit too small, still the quarter window pillar gets in the way, I was hoping I could slide it forward more with that universal bracket but as you can see above it's all the way forward already,

trial and error baby, trial and error

enaberif 11-10-2015 09:16 PM

Painting chrome is easy. The problem is that you have to sand it VERY VERY well to get the chrome and shinyness gone. Once that happens it'll paint like anything else.

Also anything that high up on the door is going to either block your window or be a pain in the ass to see out. This is why most mirrors were mounted further down the door or behind the vent window like the power windows.

Gregski 11-10-2015 09:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
ok, on to the dash, I must admit I am getting a bit frustrated here, what was supposed to be a cheap fix and take couple hours to prime and paint is taking days, days I tell you

first of all J-B Weld is NOT body filler

this stuff is hard to work with, it runs down like molasis instead of drying where you want / need it too

second sanding it off is a bear

and in my case I am sanding 90% of the product so I might as well stand in the driveway and burn twenty dollar bills

Gregski 11-10-2015 09:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
picked up some 150 and 220 sand paper discs on the way home today from Harbor Freight (about the only thing that store is good for is disposable consumables, ie one time use products)

and went to town with my orbital sander using the 150 grit and haven't even graduated to the 220 cause this stuff is that hard to cut

fellas if I am doing something wrong let me know, cause this is no picnic

Gregski 11-10-2015 09:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
couple hours later this is what we have to show for, a right hand which I can't even feeellllll aaaannnnyyyy mmmoooorrreeee and a horrible looking dash with holes that you can still see

oh and more sanding still to come

Fun Level = 0

enaberif 11-10-2015 09:35 PM

To get JB weld to flatten down you need at least 60 or 80g to break down the bulk then you can use 120 or 220.

You would be doing this either you would have gone with bondo or welding unfortunately its just that jb weld is better than bondo but not as good as welding.

Jeramy 11-10-2015 09:49 PM

i recommend flap disc on grinder to do initial knock down work
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-60...isc-69628.html
i'm half way planned to pull the same thing you are but use jb kwik weld as it sets and cures faster and grinder for clean up then depending on finished product maybe fiberglass or some kind of bedliner,rubberized coating/plasticoat,or recover with thinner padding and vinyl. not really sure lol

rich weyand 11-10-2015 10:05 PM

The trick to JB Weld is not to put any on that you don't want there. You need the surface horizontal, and put on less than you need to fill the hole. It will spread out, flatten, and cure overnight. Now you can build up in very thin layers to get the height up to the top of the hole. In a thin enough layer, it will not flow.

green72s 11-10-2015 10:11 PM

I tried working with JB Weld on my control arms before having them powder coated and it wasn't easy. Hang in there Gregski, you'll get it!

enaberif 11-10-2015 10:17 PM

The problem with any thing like this... bondo, jb weld, fibreglass, or even welding is people have a tendency to overdo it and then wonder why it takes so long to clean up.

A wise man once told me if you weld something and spend more time grinding your a grinder not a welder.

UKNOWME 11-10-2015 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7371832)
Painting chrome is easy. The problem is that you have to sand it VERY VERY well to get the chrome and shinyness gone. Once that happens it'll paint like anything else.

Yeah stick with the stock mirrors and paint them black

Gregski 11-10-2015 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green72s (Post 7371904)
I tried working with JB Weld on my control arms before having them powder coated and it wasn't easy. Hang in there Gregski, you'll get it!

love you man, strength in numbers, ha ha

Gregski 11-11-2015 12:03 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Cutting the Front Coil Springs

3 Attachment(s)
it was a little chilly this evening for Nor Cal so I decided to put on my big boy long johns and GIT ER DONE!

of note is that with one loop cut off the stock front coil spring is still a bit longer than the McGauphys 2" shorter coil spring

Gregski 11-11-2015 12:06 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Cut Front Coil Spring Results

2 Attachment(s)
it's amazing what you can git done if you don't have to play Chauffeur after work for two hours taking yer kids to this and that

[thank you honey for driving them tonight - the forum says thanks too, ha ha]

it was dark but I took some measurements and pics afterwards of the first side with the cut coil spring and low and behold a perfect 2" drop

Before 31 1/4

After 29 1/4

Gregski 11-11-2015 12:09 AM

do I have enuff left in the tank to git the other side done today (lemme check the fridge, ha ha)

enaberif 11-11-2015 12:24 AM

Cold?! You don't know cold. Look at the temps where I am up here in Calgary, AB

Gregski 11-11-2015 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7372075)
Cold?! You don't know cold. Look at the temps where I am up here in Calgary, AB

I'm skierd to.

Gregski 11-11-2015 01:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the other patient on the surgery table

Gregski 11-11-2015 01:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and another successful amputation

Gregski 11-11-2015 01:24 AM

and so we got both sides done tonight, but we're too tired to clean up the garage and shuffle the cars in the driveway to take Rusty for a test drive, so we'll do that tomorrow morning and report on how it handles - looks pretty good though

Gregski 11-11-2015 12:19 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Leaf Spring Hangers Removal

2 Attachment(s)
thank you to all our veterans for serving and their sacrifice

the goal for today is to remove the leaf spring hangers held on with 4 rivets each (I think it's early so my math may be off, correct me if I is wrong) I know there be 4 that you can see from the side of the frame and I don't remember if there's any hiding below the frame rail, I don't think so

here are some pictures of the hangers that I took when the bed was off, man would that have been a nice time to grind or drill these out, I could have done that and bolted them back on with nuts and bolts even if I didn't have the budget for the new taller ones I just bought (hind sight, but it may be a suggestion for you the reader, ha ha)

and now you know why I didn't bother painting them when I POR15ed the frame