The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

68Timber 01-12-2016 12:53 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

I had the luxury of putting mine in with the vents out. I put the one roller in its track in the door then loosely bolted it in, ran the regulator all the way up out of the door and attached the glass. If you're going to leave the vents in, I think it was Old rusty C10 that posted recently that you can loosen the bottom of the tracks in the door and replace the glass without removing the vent assembly. I don't know if that works but I get to try it soon myself. I bent a regulator and get to replace it. The fun never ends.

Gregski 01-12-2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkeyegold (Post 7444757)
just found this gem of a thread... can't put it down!!

where is it, shoot us a link, ha ha

Gregski 01-12-2016 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7444202)
I just put my windows back together and can't remember!

Ah, Installation Amnesia... nice!

Gregski 01-12-2016 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUISER (Post 7444874)
I had the luxury of putting mine in with the vents out. I put the one roller in its track in the door then loosely bolted it in, ran the regulator all the way up out of the door and attached the glass.

Yup, that's what worked for me too, can't get the window low enuff in the door to slip the second roller in the track cause there is a metal bracket holding the outter door skin to the inside skin, so the only way is to roll the regulator all the way up so the rollers stick out about an inch over the top of the door and slip the glass on the rollers that way.

Gregski 01-12-2016 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
can't believe how long I dragged out this regulator replacement, but oh well, lets get you updated, so the replacement regulator showed up from Rock Auto took about a week, but there was a weekend in between

old and new pic

Gregski 01-12-2016 05:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
so decided to pop out the vent window and its easy to take it out once you know how, LOL

there are 6 fasteners, three philips screws on top, two regular screws behind the door card, and one long skinny screw holding the inside of the side mirror bracket to the outside doorskin from the inside (you'll find it)

the guys video you shared above really helped, kudos to him

Gregski 01-12-2016 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this pesky little welded in bracket is in perfect location to prevent you from being able to slide the window just enough forward while inside the door to get it on the track, thank you very much GM, you must have gotten that from that German conference on Difficultaism, ha ha

Gregski 01-12-2016 05:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ah yes Dorman aftermarket parts. buying Dorman parts is like buying a box of chocolates, you'll never know what you are going to get, these parts are junk, flimzy stuff, they won't last a year, let alone 40

Gregski 01-12-2016 05:36 PM

Ok, so finally did you get it done? well sort of, almost, about 99%

you see now my stock, original door crank won't go all the way on the aftermarket regulator, no I did not strip anything, no I did not butcher it, it goes on fine on my old regulators, yes both of them, both old cranks slide right on both old regulators, but neither one goes on this new replacement one, I wonder if they are rebuilt items or brand new ones, donno

so to quote an astute colleague of ours, John:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUISER (Post 7444874)
...The fun never ends.

I think I am going to buy a brand new replacement crank, who knows maybe if I'm lucky Dorman sells them, ha ha!!!

68Timber 01-12-2016 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7445170)
Ok, so finally did you get it done? well sort of, almost, about 99%

you see now my stock, original door crank won't go all the way on the aftermarket regulator, no I did not strip anything, no I did not butcher it, it goes on fine on my old regulators, yes both of them, both old cranks slide right on both old regulators, but neither one goes on this new replacement one, I wonder if they are rebuilt items or brand new ones, donno

so to quote an astute colleague of ours, John:

I think I am going to buy a brand new replacement crank, who knows maybe if I'm lucky Dorman sells them, ha ha!!!

Man I forgot about that part. I was able to get AC Delco regulators from Rock Auto because my truck is an 85 model and they have different regulators. But even so, I still had to get out the grinder - the original window crank would not seat far enough to get the clip on.

68Timber 01-12-2016 05:48 PM

I had to go look and see what I did - don't grind on the regulator, grind on the window crank. Open up the hole a smidge all the way up to the threads but don't mess with them - it should fit at that point.

68Timber 01-12-2016 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7445181)
Either one of you two fine fellas got pics?

You wouldn't think this would be necessary, but this is the backside of the crank and it was binding up in this hole before I could even get it on far enough for the splines to engage. I removed a little bit at a time until it would fully seat. You don't have to remove any material past the slot that holds the retention clip, that would put you into the splines.

Jeramy 01-12-2016 09:15 PM

Dorman window crank handle part#76912 9 bucks a piece

68Timber 01-12-2016 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7445432)
Hmm...

Yep. Exactly what I was thinking...

Gregski 01-13-2016 09:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
so still trying to get a [ahem] handle on this thing, lol

as much as I appreciate John's advice on grinding out the old handle, for $6 bucks I decided to get a new one from the land of Dormania

Can someone explain to me how in the world GM managed to leave one part alone, virtually unchanged from 1952 to 1996, see APPLICATIONS section in the pic below, did they not get the Make Unecessary Changes BiAnnualy Memo, did someone forget the TPS cover sheet

Gregski 01-13-2016 09:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
old and new window crank side by side, or top and bottom

Gregski 01-13-2016 09:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
close ups of the old stock original OEM door crank handle thingie

Gregski 01-13-2016 09:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
and the new handle complements of TAIWAN

Gregski 01-13-2016 09:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Greg this is nauseating is there a point here somewhere?

~ Patience must we have ~ OBD-One Kenobi

so lets take a look at both of these cranks under our EyeCroScope

notice the meatier wall around the hole opening on the old crank, that is good for strengthtability but no so good for insertability, but notice the larger hole opening on the new crank that slides right on the new regulator, but I doubt it will last as long

in the second pic I try to show that the rataining clip goes on closer to the edge on the new handle (left) than on the old one (right)

Gregski 01-13-2016 09:25 PM

WHATEVER MAN ~ did you get the new window handle on the new regulator or not?

Gregski 01-13-2016 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7446678)
WHATEVER MAN ~ did you get the new window handle on the new regulator or not?

I sure did, slid/snapped right on! and it's as close of a match as can be

rusty76 01-14-2016 09:50 PM

Glad you got a handle on it. Lol

daddyjeep 01-14-2016 09:57 PM

You and yourself sure do argue a lot. I think you two (one) need relationship counseling or something.

y5mgisi 01-16-2016 04:37 PM

I love your writing style. It reflects the way a lot of us actually go about our thought process! And now, how do the windows roll up and down?! Lol

Gregski 01-17-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7450029)
I love your writing style. It reflects the way a lot of us actually go about our thought process!

Thank you, I try to be entertaining and still send a message across or make some point. I hate dry monotone Videos or Posts / Lessons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7450029)
And now, how do the windows roll up and down?! Lol

One thing I don't do is lie or BS, so get this, the darn window rolls up the same way, maybe a little easier, but definitely won't pass the Pinky Test. I am thinking all the new window molding I shoved in there a few months ago needs to get acqueinted proper first, that or the tracks are bent or misaligned, maybe I will look at both sides again some day, maybe when I rehang the doors. Any tips/advice?

Gregski 01-17-2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 7447957)
You and yourself sure do argue a lot. I think you two (one) need relationship counseling or something.

LOL, I agree, but the other me doesn't wanna go!

hawkeyegold 01-17-2016 07:37 PM

Did a bunch of cleaning and salvaging on some 68 cougar interior pieces.. (I know not a Chevy.. but have a 79 K10 I'm working on as well) Normally probably would have just had it recovered.. but you inspired me to make the old new again!

y5mgisi 01-17-2016 10:19 PM

On your window track seals, did you trim them around all the areas where the door support structure interferes with the strip?

Gregski 01-17-2016 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7451574)
On your window track seals, did you trim them around all the areas where the door support structure interferes with the strip?

Talk to me Goose! I did not trim anything, so the short answer is no, but honestly I don't know which areas you are referring to, could you show a pic maybe.

Gregski 01-18-2016 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
LETS DANCE

Note: I am using Bakerfields finest 805 lubricant, but any bottled goodness should work you may want to avoid the Lite viscosity

Gregski 01-18-2016 06:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here are some before and after close ups, after the 60 grit treatment (wanted 80 but 60 is all Harbor Freight had to offer)

Gregski 01-18-2016 06:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
remember the only people we is trying to impress is ourselves

Gregski 01-18-2016 06:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
well yes like a dummy The Greg piles this JB Weld on too thick, but hey first time for everything

Gregski 01-18-2016 06:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
we might could take another shot at these with more sand paper once its primered

Gregski 01-18-2016 06:22 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Dash Board

1 Attachment(s)
time to wipe... in a mad Dash to get it done before the sun goes down

Gregski 01-18-2016 06:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
in the spirit of Run what you Brong' we primered the belly with some left over primer over rust stuff, until we ran out of product

flashed 01-18-2016 06:24 PM

Looking good .

Gregski 01-18-2016 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the top got covered in some left over high temp engine primer, totally unnecessary but again that's what we had on hand, and I wasn't going to fork out any more $$$ (pronounced Duckets) on this "cheap" da$h board repair

Gregski 01-18-2016 06:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
some touch ups required, but remember it aint got to be perfect I don't recon cause its going to get covered in textured paint which I hope will mask / hide some imperfections

Textured Paint Makes Me The Body Man I Ain't!

Gregski 01-18-2016 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7452432)
Looking good .

Dzienkuje Bardzo!