The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Suburban rear window piece (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=677354)

rod1701 07-23-2015 12:37 AM

Suburban rear window piece

No idea what this is called but on the two rear side windows, the moulding doesn't go all the way around. There is about a 1" gap between the ends of the moulding. It looks like there should be a metal or plastic filler part . Although it rarely rather rains in So Cal, it gets into the truck on my newly dyed interior pieces when it does. Any help? Suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bigdav160 07-23-2015 05:58 AM

Re: Suburban rear window piece

Are you asking about panel doors?

"wanting to buy" or asking for sale type post are against the rules unless you have a paid subscription. If your post goes poof ask again in the Suburban section

rod1701 07-23-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdav160 (Post 7251039)
Are you asking about panel doors?

"wanting to buy" or asking for sale type post are against the rules unless you have a paid subscription. If your post goes poof ask again in the Suburban section

Posted via Mobile Device

rod1701 07-23-2015 11:02 AM

My apologies. It was not my intent to violate policy I was just looking for a resource for my missing part.

The area/piece in question is not on back doors but the large fixed rearmost side windows. The 2 ends don't meet. The 3/4" gap lets water in. It looks like there should be a small chrome cap, trim, or filler piece. That is what I'm trying to find. Looked at brothers and LMC exploded views and couldn't find it in any diagrams.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ol Blue K20 07-23-2015 11:46 AM

I think someone put homemade rubber seals in and they shrank. I believe the factory piece is one piece. Pics would really help to make sure I interpreted your post correctly.

Bigdav160 07-23-2015 01:26 PM

Even the factory side window gaskets shrink and split. Mine has gaps and the gaskets need to be replaced.

I'm not saying to "buy these" as most of the vendors that support this board offer them for less.

LockDoc 07-23-2015 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rod1701 (Post 7251204)
My apologies. It was not my intent to violate policy I was just looking for a resource for my missing part.

The area/piece in question is not on back doors but the large fixed rearmost side windows. The 2 ends don't meet. The 3/4" gap lets water in. It looks like there should be a small chrome cap, trim, or filler piece. That is what I'm trying to find. Looked at brothers and LMC exploded views and couldn't find it in any diagrams.
Posted via Mobile Device

I just edited your original post and removed the for sale question. The rest of the post is fine....

New gaskets are available for the small quarter windows but they are kind of a pain to put in because you have to disassemble the whole door....

If you are talking about the window glass channel you can usually roll the window down, pull a little if the window channel out of the window opening so you can get a hold of it, and pull it up where it should be.

LockDoc

ranger danger 07-23-2015 08:29 PM

I had the same problem on mine. I filled the little area with black silicone and it worked and looked great.

Suicide-D 07-24-2015 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger danger (Post 7251749)
I had the same problem on mine. I filled the little area with black silicone and it worked and looked great.

+1
This was done on one of my burbs prior to my purchase. The gasket has shrunken on my C20 barn doors also and this will be my fix eventually.

rod1701 07-27-2015 01:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is my problem area. I could swear that I have seen these filler pieces on Camaros or Chevelles but cant find them for my Suburban.
Attachment 1430175

Attachment 1430176

ranger danger 07-27-2015 06:04 AM

YUP! That's what I was talking about. I filled it with black silicone a layer at a time and made it look like it was never there. I know the little polished stainless piece your talking about and there is probably one that would fit but I like it all black myself.

Ol Blue K20 07-27-2015 10:20 AM

I think it's time for new rubber gaskets. Those have shrunk quite a bit and the ends should be vulcanized.

rod1701 07-27-2015 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger danger (Post 7254982)
YUP! That's what I was talking about. I filled it with black silicone a layer at a time and made it look like it was never there. I know the little polished stainless piece your talking about and there is probably one that would fit but I like it all black myself.

I may go with build up of silicone but any idea what that filler piece is called or a source? I can make do with Camaros Chevelles Monte Carlo etc if that's all that's out there.

If chrome I can scratch up and flat black. Yea, seals could stand to be replaced. So could most things on this truck. With rust issues and other problems going to keep it a patina trick. Prefer not too many shiny new things.

R
Posted via Mobile Device