The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 08-30-2021 11:05 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
4 Attachment(s)
so replaced the brushes in my trusty DeWalt 4011 angle grinder only to find out it's gotta Blown Head Gaskit !!! and for the life of me I have no idea how to press that flux capacitor bearing out, YouTube seems to have 7 videos each on all the other DeWalt grinders but none on this one

hatzie 08-30-2021 12:12 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Here's the parts blowup of the DWE4011 angle grinder.
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/de...66_203226.html

I'd pull the snap ring off the top of the gear and push the shaft out.
It takes some special grease for the high rotational speed. The grease Dewalt calls for contains Tripheneyl Phosphate. It's typically a plasticizer so I'm not sure what they added it to grease for but I bet the chemists had a reason. Possibly for the phosphorous EP properties.
Triphenely Phosphate is a phenol/phosphoric acid derivative so it's pretty nasty toxic stuff. You want to be careful about getting it on your skin.

69Tom 08-30-2021 02:53 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
I can't believe after all the grinding you've done that you haven't purchased one of these. I don't necessarily like the phrase, but it really was a game-changer once I got one. Same with my blasting cabinet. Plus 50 lb black diamond bags at Tractor Supply for only $9, and it's hard to beat (get the fine).

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-100lb-pr...e-blaster.html

Gregski 08-30-2021 03:30 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Tom (Post 8964586)
I can't believe after all the grinding you've done that you haven't purchased one of these. I don't necessarily like the phrase, but it really was a game-changer once I got one. Same with my blasting cabinet. Plus 50 lb black diamond bags at Tractor Supply for only $9, and it's hard to beat (get the fine).

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-100lb-pr...e-blaster.html

ha ha, it gets worse I have one of those and a blast cabinet, what I don't have is a stupid air compressor

69Tom 08-30-2021 03:36 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8964599)
ha ha, it gets worse I have one of those and a blast cabinet, what I don't have is a stupid air compressor

Haha. Hey, I know the feeling. At one point I had sold my compressor and didn't really have the space/cash to get a new one. Finally, I just bit the bullet.

Gregski 08-30-2021 05:22 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Tom (Post 8964603)
Haha. Hey, I know the feeling. At one point I had sold my compressor and didn't really have the space/cash to get a new one. Finally, I just bit the bullet.

yup that's exactly what happened I think I had three over the years all gotten used or FREE and since I moved 7 times in like 4 years after we sold our house I just gave up

so what did you end up getting, from the 30 seconds of research I've done over the years on compressors for media blasting and painting I recon one might need a Double Pumper, and being on thin ice with my friendly HOA I think an Ultra Quiet one won't hurt none either

69Tom 08-30-2021 05:50 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8964633)
yup that's exactly what happened I think I had three over the years all gotten used or FREE and since I moved 7 times in like 4 years after we sold our house I just gave up

so what did you end up getting, from the 30 seconds of research I've done over the years on compressors for media blasting and painting I recon one might need a Double Pumper, and being on thin ice with my friendly HOA I think an Ultra Quiet one won't hurt none either

I ended up getting a C-Aire. SUPER quiet. It's really nice. I never run out of air. Little pricey, but worth it in the end. It appears to have gone up in price since I bought mine.

https://www.compressorpros.com/air-c...age-80-gallon/

Gregski 08-30-2021 11:46 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8964519)
Here's the parts blowup of the DWE4011 angle grinder.
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/de...66_203226.html

I'd pull the snap ring off the top of the gear and push the shaft out.

thanks mate that's what I needed to get me going

and I know this is what you all came here to see, but hey it's why we aint getting any progress done on the truck

for those of you wondering, that's a pair of 6001 bearings (I learned that means something) 12x28x8mm

TKCR 09-01-2021 07:46 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8964120)
the springs were originally held together with these clips, made of rust

Let me know if you need some new clips.

Gregski 09-01-2021 11:16 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8965250)
Let me know if you need some new clips.

thank you for the offer, the new(ish) springs I got came with some that appear in good nick so I should be ok, if not I will reach out

Gregski 09-01-2021 12:05 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
so just pulled the trigger on this 3rd Design non tilt fuel injected V8 all vinyl black beauty - $320 out the door with tax n license

thanks for the recommend, you know who you is!

Gregski 09-02-2021 01:18 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
2 Attachment(s)
ah screw this

Gregski 09-02-2021 01:23 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
4 Attachment(s)
everybody wanna be a hot rodder till it's time to do sum hot rodder stuff

Gregski 09-02-2021 01:24 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
sorry but that totally made me think of this meme

Gregski 09-02-2021 01:32 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
2 Attachment(s)
from here, things got even more boring

I like to save my blood each and every time I bust a knuckle or get cut whilst wrenching on my truck so that later I can use it as cutting oil and return the favor

TKCR 09-02-2021 03:25 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8965746)
sorry but that totally made me think of this meme

:lol:

Gregski 09-03-2021 10:33 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
4 Attachment(s)
so a bit of bad news aka Grinder Update, well even with new brushes and new bearings that thing struggles to spin, gives off a funny smell, and sounds like the ice cube dispenser in my fridge

so I did the right thing and jumped on The eBay and bought another one, also used, also broken aka "For Parts Only" in hopes that out of two broken ones WE (yes you are in on this too after all) WE can end up with maybe one semi quiet non smokey spinner!?

Gregski 09-07-2021 04:29 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
praise be to Jeff - we may just be back on track

Gregski 09-07-2021 08:02 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
3 Attachment(s)
so glad my new angle grinder came with the spring cleaning bench attachment, ha ha

Gregski 09-07-2021 08:04 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
2 Attachment(s)
after wire wheelin' all the loose rust off the bench seat frame, we got it into the acid bath, looking pretty good

TKCR 09-07-2021 09:36 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Good job! It is looking good:metal:

Gregski 09-07-2021 11:26 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8967875)
Good job! It is looking good:metal:

Thanks, good enuff for the girls we play checkers with, here it is after the fine wheelin' ready for primer

Gregski 09-07-2021 11:28 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
2 Attachment(s)
I like to get the cleaned raw metal parts in primer right quick, as they have a tendency to flash rust imediatemente

Gregski 09-07-2021 11:31 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
so we ended up with 8 broken springs, and I tell you what, I bet you have more weakened or broken springs in your bench seat than you think, I knew some were gonna brake as I tried to take them out of the frame, but others showed how weak they were only once I took a wire wheel to them and knocked off all the rust

Gregski 09-07-2021 11:33 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
had a little assembly line going, these springs are awaiting the dance with the wire wheel

Gregski 09-07-2021 11:35 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
and these have already been cleaned, one by one mind you

Fun Level: a solid 2.5

Gregski 09-07-2021 11:36 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
all in all I managed to salvage and clean a dozen springs, though only 11 survived as 1 seemed to spring from the angle grinder and go flying into our new neighbor's back yard... allegedly

TKCR 09-08-2021 05:22 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8967937)
so we ended up with 8 broken springs, I bet you have more weakened or broken springs in your bench seat than you think,

You are correct about that. One of the things I do, when restoring the seats, is making sure all the springs are good. People just donít realize that there is a lot of issues hiding under there.

Gregski 09-08-2021 01:00 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
4 Attachment(s)
and then it was time to make things black

I like to paint with a brush because.... I'm old!

Gregski 09-08-2021 01:03 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
Me: Let's paint with a brush so we don't waste that much paint

Also me:

Gregski 09-08-2021 08:02 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
3 Attachment(s)
then we paintenated the bottom portion

Gregski 09-08-2021 08:03 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
even the springs got some love

Gregski 09-08-2021 08:05 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
3 Attachment(s)
I don't know about you, but I like to finish up my bench seat frame restoration by painting my tail pipes

Gregski 09-08-2021 08:08 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
Ah but Greg, surely you did not use that "regular" paint on your exhaust, and went out and bought proper high heat BBQ paint or manifold paint?

Gregski 09-10-2021 10:04 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
guys I honestly don't know what I did to upset the upholstery gods Vinyllo and Leatherodite but it's been 10 days now since I ordered my bench seat cover from USA1 and no cover yet, not even a shipping confirmation nor a tracking number

So I authored an electronic mail to their customer service department and received this message:

"All seat covers currently have a 8-10 week lead time from order date at this time."

well had I known this I would NOT have ordered from them, I would have raised a calf to full grown cow myself, and liberated it's hide by myself, do you think they should have put that DISCLAIMER on their products page?

hatzie 09-10-2021 11:48 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8969000)
guys I honestly don't know what I did to upset the upholstery gods Vinyllo and Leatherodite but it's been 10 days now since I ordered my bench seat cover from USA1 and no cover yet, not even a shipping confirmation nor a tracking number

So I authored an electronic mail to their customer service department and received this message:

"All seat covers currently have a 8-10 week lead time from order date at this time."

well had I known this I would NOT have ordered from them, I would have raised a calf to full grown cow myself, and liberated it's hide by myself, do you think they should have put that DISCLAIMER on their products page?

It would be better customer relations to at least put this in the shipping selection area of the checkout.
Way too many outfits are frightened to let this information out in the wild. Amazon still claims Free 2 day shipping with PRIME, ummm NOPE, it's seven business days for me if I sacrifice a printer or a calculator on the altar of the appropriate god.

Supply chain interruptions are not going to get better as tensions escalate with China.

TKCR 09-10-2021 02:29 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8969000)
guys I honestly don't know what I did to upset the upholstery gods Vinyllo and Leatherodite but it's been 10 days now since I ordered my bench seat cover from USA1 and no cover yet, not even a shipping confirmation nor a tracking number

So I authored an electronic mail to their customer service department and received this message:

"All seat covers currently have a 8-10 week lead time from order date at this time."

well had I known this I would NOT have ordered from them, I would have raised a calf to full grown cow myself, and liberated it's hide by myself, do you think they should have put that DISCLAIMER on their products page?

You have got to realize, that the cover needs to be made. They are not mass produced and sitting in a warehouse somewhere, like LMC and others. And they have hundreds of orders to fill. When they make them, they do certain colors on certain days. And the same with the different styles and years. Even if you had gotten a cover from me, it would be the same way. I myself, have to wait. Now I do try and stay ahead with the popular covers, that being the 81-87ís in Black and Charcoal. As soon as I sell a seat, I put an order in for another. But sometimes the orders come in faster than I can get covers ordered to be made. Then quess what, we are all waiting. So the same thing is happening at USA1 except on a larger scale. I have one right now, that I have been waiting since April. It is a 1979 Blue with double stitching so it will have the Medallions. So hang in there.

Rich72C10 09-10-2021 04:11 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
  1. I don't have a Square body (I have 72 C10) but "Restoring Rusty" seems like a fun thread to visit.
  2. This thread is 100% Money!
  3. Fun factor: 10 out of 10!

:chevy:

Gregski 09-10-2021 04:16 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8969084)
  1. I don't have a Square body (I have 72 C10) but "Restoring Rusty" seems like a fun thread to visit.
  2. This thread is 100% Money!
  3. Fun factor: 10 out of 10!

:chevy:

wow thanks Rich boy do I have something fun in store for you, wait till we work on Dusty my 1971 next year, in the meantime you can pass the time checking out my other build A '54 named Busty - LS Swap !!!

69Tom 09-10-2021 04:32 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8969061)
I have one right now, that I have been waiting since April. It is a 1979 Blue with double stitching so it will have the Medallions. So hang in there.

So question on this, I assume you had to send in your medallions? I've been waiting for my stock seat cover from SMS since April 2020. I might have tried USA1, but their catalog/online pictures suck and I have no idea what I'd be getting if I order something. I doubt they have the correct material for a Cheyenne Super '74 interior, so I continue to wait.

Greg, 8-10 weeks is a walk in the park. :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2022 67-72chevytrucks.com