The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 12-12-2015 06:11 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

3 Attachment(s)
ok, and here is the Money Shot, man I think it turned out great, I luv it

flashed 12-12-2015 06:55 PM

Looks good .

enaberif 12-12-2015 07:04 PM

If you look at your old cap you can see the hole in the middle which allows the venting.

Gregski 12-12-2015 07:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
so before we look at the Before and After shots, we all want to know how long did this take, how many hours did it take to lower this truck

lets see, we started on THURSDAY (October 8th) and finished on SATRUDAY (December 12th)

so what was that 3 days [ahem] weeks, what? over 2 MONTHS?!

Jake Wade 12-12-2015 07:57 PM

It looks much better.

rusty76 12-12-2015 08:20 PM

Sweet

68Timber 12-13-2015 11:56 AM

Looks really good. What's next? Swapping the trans?

Gregski 12-13-2015 12:35 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Winter Plans

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUISER (Post 7408593)
Looks really good. What's next? Swapping the trans?

Thanks, I appreciate the positive feedback. That's a big job as I plan on pulling the enjin out to do it this time, so it will have to wait till Spring. I think I will button it up for the Winter (December 22nd being the official First Day) and work on things that don't require too much grease or painting.

Hope to Dyno Test it again in January (funds required)

Possibly install some shoulder belts.

Install one of the heavy duty truck floor mats (from LMC Truck)

Install some black mirrors that actually fit the truck.

Fix my new (used) 1978 speedometer.

We still got that Dash Pad to sand and paint.

pesky stuff like that while actually driving the truck till March 20th aka The First Day of Spring.

LeesTruk 12-13-2015 01:19 PM

Hey Gregski. When you see the working results of all your labors, it makes all those cuts , bashed fingernails, and colorful language seem worthwhile, don't it? Enjoy your truck this winter. Lookin' good

Lee

Gregski 12-14-2015 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeesTruk (Post 7408650)
Hey Gregski. When you see the working results of all your labors, it makes all those cuts , bashed fingernails, and colorful language seem worthwhile, don't it? Enjoy your truck this winter. Lookin' good

Lee

"colorful language" that's it, where did you hide the microphone in my garage? ha ha

Gregski 12-14-2015 01:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
took the kid to the Home Depot and showed her the way of the bolt, told her bolts have sizes, just like shoes (had to speak her language you know), and similarly to getting your foot measured at the shoe store, we can measure bolt sizes

in no time she was speaking mechanic to me

"3 slash 8 dash 16 Coarse Thread Daddy"

oh that's music to my ears folks!

rusty76 12-14-2015 09:36 PM

Too cool

LSX408 12-20-2015 07:53 PM

Nice work, looks much better!

Gregski 12-20-2015 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSX408 (Post 7417248)
Nice work, looks much better!

Thanks, appreciate the feedback, I will take some better profile pics soon, but I love how it looks, possibly no need to go lower, though I am tempted to spend money on drop spindles to keep the stock spring height and range of motion, we shall see

MikeB 12-21-2015 07:43 PM

Hey Gregski, I probably missed it, but how did you end up finishing the dash? My 82's got a cheesy (and warped) plastic cover on it, and I'm almost afraid to take it off. I don't hear many good things about replacement pads, either.

Gregski 12-21-2015 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 7418405)
Hey Gregski, I probably missed it, but how did you end up finishing the dash? Mine's 82's got a cheesy (and warped) plastic cover on it, and I'm almost afraid to take it off. I don't hear many good things about replacement pads, either.

Not done yet, I got distracted with the two months it took me to lower the truck, but thanks for the reminder, I see more sanding in my future, I will shoot some pics when I get back around to it, though winter aint the time to paint

LT7A 12-22-2015 04:24 AM

Im pretty new on here so just came across your build thread and read the whole thing in a few days. I really, really like the idea behind taking a truck that you like as is, with bumps, scrapes, wear and tear, and deciding it's cool already. And then just improving it from there. Bravo! Uh, sorry, I don't think I've ever said that before, but your writing style is fun to read and encourages a little exclamation. Im a fan of wheeler dealers and get a kick out of your wheelerdealerspeak.

One question I had is the effect of muriatic acid or phosphoric acid on painted parts with rust. Some of your time lapse photos make it look as if you could use acid to clear/clean the rust off of some painted parts and if you rinsed the acid off in time that it would leave the paint intact. Would it or do I have that wrong?

Also, I read a bit that a VP at the maker of Chassis Saver (competitor of POR-15) wrote. He explained that neither product adheres well to smooth metal and that both manufacturers count on there being rust texture for the paint to adhere to. And that wire brushing and degreasing are the only needed prep steps. If you choose, you may be able to skip the acid on parts that you are going to POR on, and they may not even need the level of fastidious cleaning, although it's cool to watch.

Gregski 12-22-2015 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 7418900)
Im a fan of wheeler dealers and get a kick out of your wheelerdealerspeak.

Finally someone who gets it, it only took 99 pages, thank you, ta da!

Gregski 12-22-2015 12:57 PM

Quote:

One question I had is the effect of muriatic acid or phosphoric acid on painted parts with rust. Some of your time lapse photos make it look as if you could use acid to clear/clean the rust off of some painted parts and if you rinsed the acid off in time that it would leave the paint intact. Would it or do I have that wrong?

Good question. Please stay away from Muriatic acid, I probably misspoke or gave you some bad information if I brought it up, or maybe even used it and that was wrong and a mistake, I think I may have used it on the hood, and may need to re do it. Muriatic acid removes the rust but invites it right back in. Phosphoric acid removes the rust and keeps it from coming back, so use it.

I tried using Phosphoric acid to clean up my truck bed where the hooks for the ropes used to be, and left behind some rust, and the acid ran down the sides of the truck and ate through and ruined my paint, so I advise against it. I would not use it on painted surfaces, but I'm no expert, and you are reading this on the Internets so double check your facts, ha ha.

flashed 12-22-2015 01:02 PM

I have never seen Wheeler Dealers but Im a fan of Gregski .

Gregski 12-22-2015 01:03 PM

Quote:

Also, I read a bit that a VP at the maker of Chassis Saver (competitor of POR-15) wrote. He explained that neither product adheres well to smooth metal and that both manufacturers count on there being rust texture for the paint to adhere to. And that wire brushing and degreasing are the only needed prep steps. If you choose, you may be able to skip the acid on parts that you are going to POR on, and they may not even need the level of fastidious cleaning, although it's cool to watch.

I believe that is correct (against my inner neat freak, but correct) my Mopar buddy was telling me that for years, but being my close friend naturally I didn't believe him, and dismissed it as Mopar lazyness (oh oh, there go more avid readers) I noticed it when painting my squeaky clean as a whistle Muncie SM465 transmission with POR-15 and the stick-it-to-it-avness just wasn't there, go figure. Wish you told me this earlier, jk!

I do love brush painting car parts though rather than aerosoling it, product goes a long way, and no overspray, and less masking.

Gregski 12-22-2015 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7419217)
I have never seen Wheeler Dealers but Im a fan of Gregski .

You never seen the Best British Car Show on TV, and you call yourself an AMERICAN!? LOL

and thank you for being a fan, that makes two, jk

Gregski 12-22-2015 01:16 PM

December 22nd, officially first day of Winter (although the last few weeks have been cold as _ell - again by California standards, lol)

So as the Greg heads into self imposed hibernation, here is a thread to keep you going through the Restoring Rusty update withdrawals:

What can be said about the 4-speed New Process NV833 overdrive manual transmission?

It is a sneak peak at what's coming up come Spring time, a worthy read by a brilliant young scribe.

now don't worry we will continue with simple bolt on upgrades throughout the winter (with one nice surprise in January - stay tuned [hint and pun intended])

flashed 12-22-2015 01:18 PM

I have heard of the show but its not available in my current Directv package and I dont want to give them anymore of my truck money.Directv wants me to renew for 2 years and up my price and I wont do it.

flashed 12-22-2015 01:19 PM

What is winter like there where you are ? Its unseasonably warm here this year but Im not complaining ,I hate cold weather.

Jrgunn5150 12-22-2015 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7419220)
I believe that is correct (against my inner neat freak, but correct) my Mopar buddy was telling me that for years, but being my close friend naturally I didn't believe him, and dismissed it as Mopar lazyness (oh oh, there go more avid readers) I noticed it when painting my squeaky clean as a whistle Muncie SM465 transmission with POR-15 and the stick-it-to-it-avness just wasn't there, go figure. Wish you told me this earlier, jk!

I do love brush painting car parts though rather than aerosoling it, product goes a long way, and no overspray, and less masking.

I recently did the inside cab floor of my 79 with the worst possible prep. I lightly blasted the scale off with my sandblaster, then blew most of the sand out with my airhose. I wiped it twice with an acetone rag, then shot the floor, three coats, in the rain lol. As a test, I also shot a piece of scrap, outside in the rain, with no prep at all. It's been a week, maybe I'll go bang it around tonight and see if I can make it flake off.

green72s 12-23-2015 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7419221)

and thank you for being a fan, that makes two, jk

Count me in the fan club too. I look forward to every chronicle on this thread.

enaberif 12-23-2015 12:52 PM

Rusty is getting Wideband.

Gregski 12-28-2015 06:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
anybody know what this piece is? where it goes? where it lives? what it do? HINT: it may have a twin brother?

Gregski 12-28-2015 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
after a little wire wheel love we can make out LTC, which I believe stood for Loves To Corrode

ptc 12-28-2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7401814)
Took the driveshaft in to DRIVE LINE SERVICE of Sacramento and Jim saw the problem in about 2 minutes.

He walked over to a shelf and picked up a brand new spline end, took it out of the box and inserted it into my old drive shaft, then he said: This should go in at least an inch more, it seems like something is blocking it, maybe there is something in there.

For Reference: He could only get the new spline end to go as far as the grease fitting and not an inch or so past it as it should. I had the same results with my old spline end.

Then he sent me home to take a measurement from the center holes of the center bearing support bracket to the tip end of the yoke in the differential.

Which I did and report 32 3/4 inches.

He will see what it takes to fix my shaft, he thinks once it is working as it should there may be no need to shorten it. I also asked him to replace the center bearing with the rubber doughnut.

More as the news develops...

JIMMY is the MAN at drivelines..... dont go or listen to anyone else.... really he is the BEST....

68Timber 12-28-2015 08:01 PM

It looks like the brace for the sport mirrors.

Gregski 12-28-2015 09:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUISER (Post 7426209)
It looks like the brace for the sport mirrors.

U Good, yup, the door skin gets sandwiched between this piece on the inside of the door, and the black rubber piece on the outside, etc, etc. like so

I bronged this up, cause I'm not sure you remember, a month or so ago when I was all over the place, I tried a couple sets of aftermarket mirrors and when I was trying them on, this here misfit fell down the inside of the driver side door, thank you very much you little rascal, I needed more practice removing the fragile plastic door panel to git you out, not to mention a magnet on a stick to reach you

KQQL IT 12-28-2015 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7419235)
I have heard of the show but its not available in my current Directv package and I dont want to give them anymore of my truck money.Directv wants me to renew for 2 years and up my price and I wont do it.

You'll have to go HD too. But the velocity channel is way worth it.

Gregski 12-30-2015 09:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
well I just had to know why the driver side mirror holder fell down when the passenger side did not, so I removed the passenger side one too

and sure enuff there is a rather long thin screw that holds the mirror bracket to the triangle corner vent mirror area bracket, guess we will have to go buy one of them long skinny screws

note how rusty this guys little cousin is, nothing a bit of acid can't curb, we'll soak him in the Phosphoric acid and check on him tomorrow

Gregski 12-30-2015 09:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
well since we had the door card off already on the passenger side, I decided I was a bit tired of my son not being able to roll down the passenger side window easily, as if he needed yet another reason not to go riding in daddys car, know what I'm saying fellers?

so first we took some pics of all the screws that may be responsible for holding the window rectifier on the inside of the door, and maybe a few innocent by standers

Gregski 12-30-2015 09:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
and a few cuts and bruisers on the ol' forearms and the door window and regulator were on the garage floor

now I may not be the saltiest fry in the bunch but I believe the black plasticie roller wheel thingies ought to spin and turn freely, it appears as only one spins, another sorta wobbles and the third refuses all together

Gregski 12-30-2015 09:30 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Window Regulator Repair

5 Attachment(s)
oh Rust, oh Rust, you're no friend of mine

LMC Truck wants $50 bones per window regular, that's actually not bad, but I'm not sure if they come with the rollers already rivitted in, maybe if one of youz who have purchased one before from them could comment

also, did GM seriously reinvent the window regulator THREE TIMES, 1973, 1974-76, and again for 1977-87

I can see it now, Jimmy it says here you graduated magna cum laude from Cal Poly, boy do we have a project for you, you see these window regulators we have now in 1973, well they're all wrong, can you figure out a completely different way to make this here winder go up and down??? ha ha

Gregski 12-30-2015 09:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
dance of the wire wheel

I also gave some love to the rusty sections of the window regulator before brushing it with some Phosphoric Acid, maybe I can save it, maybe all it needs is The Three roller Amigos (maybe I can get them at the local parts house)

Gregski 12-30-2015 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok am I the only one who looks at the Window Regulator and thinks of the Executioner and his Axe?