The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   This Horn Thing is P***ing Me off (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=342975)

ol Curt 05-08-2009 09:53 PM

This Horn Thing is P***ing Me off

3 Attachment(s)
I have been trying to add a Nova horn ring that I feel matches the 66 Deluxe ring very closely. My horn worked with the original cap. But no matter how I put this sucker together it doesn't work. I did get a plastic spacer from Tony (Lil Red) and I have a new horn contact bushing/spring. As I am putting it together the thing arcs and makes the relay click. But when it is all together I get nothing. I have tried the spring steel piece in both directions, but think it is supposed to go with the convex side up....but I could be wrong. Her are pics of how I hav eit together. Any tips would be appreciated. :confused:

70 Suburban 05-08-2009 10:18 PM

Re: This Horn Thing is P***ing Me off

i will not get a chance till next saterday to get to my wheel. ill figure it then if you dont have an answer by then... as for the a/c stuff make me an offer i cant refuse

the lights 05-08-2009 11:31 PM

i dont know if this makes sense, but could you put a wire from the big steering shaft nut to one of the small phillips to complete the ground. it looks like the plastic piece you put in is stopping it. just a thought.

pulltilbroke 05-09-2009 12:30 AM

Get a sticker that says "Horn broke watch for finger":lol:

ol Curt 05-09-2009 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the lights (Post 3300934)
i dont know if this makes sense, but could you put a wire from the big steering shaft nut to one of the small phillips to complete the ground. it looks like the plastic piece you put in is stopping it. just a thought.

I think the plastic piece is supposed to be there to help smash the spring metal pieece against the metal of the column while it makes contact with the horn bushing contact switch.

ol Curt 05-09-2009 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pulltilbroke (Post 3301009)
Get a sticker that says "Horn broke watch for finger":lol:

Sorry, I can't give any reputation points for that one!;)

the lights 05-09-2009 01:39 PM

when you push the horn down does it touch the metal? my horn wasnt working because the cap was too far away because the previous owner put it on wrong. maybe with the nova horn ring it is slightly farther away so that when you push on it, it feels as though its going in but actually not touching? sorry to write so much just trying to help.

ol Curt 05-09-2009 10:08 PM

Could be. I may try a thicker shim under it tomorrow. Although, I took the original button one out and set it on the bench right next to it and they appear to be the exact height.

70 Suburban 05-09-2009 10:20 PM

hey if that dont work then. well I have the custom delux 66 wheel and trim ring. maybe you got some stuff to trade for all the stuff I have.

ol Curt 05-10-2009 10:04 AM

I think it may be a matter of my not understanding the horn switch circuit. I may have to try to get somebody to break that down for me.

70 Suburban 05-10-2009 10:10 AM

the horn is a ground operated system. your truck is the ground.the (i think its brown) wire goes from the colmn to your horn. now if you still have it og then you wont have a relay I think......so it should be more simple... hot to the horn and your switched wire (ground) to the other side of the horn.

ol Curt 05-10-2009 10:31 AM

It is original, but does have a relay. The relay is clicking when I am putting it all together, as the metal pieces touch. But when it is all together there is really no spring to the thing. I press it, but the horn ring doesn't really move much up or down.

70 Suburban 05-10-2009 11:52 AM

does it click when you use the horn ring when its all installed? if so then your problem is from the relay to horn

ol Curt 05-10-2009 02:07 PM

Nope. no clicky when installed. I have the horn disconnected. It clicks when installing as I see the sparks.

70 Suburban 05-10-2009 08:48 PM

your not making contact somewhere