The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Plasti Dipped the '67 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605936)

Evaded 11-28-2013 10:26 PM

Re: Plasti Dipped the '67

Heat is not an issue with dip... im in San Antonio TX and have had zero issues with dip. Ive been using dip for the last 5 years. We have months of 100 degree weather here.

Eric (Evaded)

swamp rat 11-29-2013 02:22 AM

First thing that comes to mind for where i live would be getting door dings, guess it would depend on the angle of the hit as to if it would dent or tear?

Jahloha 11-29-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggis (Post 6392796)
I'm actually doing the same on my truck, as a temporary paint job until I can tackle the bodywork. The stuff is awesome, really easy, cheap and holds up really well. As some have said it dries to a rubbery type finish so it holds up really well to dirt and debris. As long as your surface is nice, clean and smooth underneath it will be smooth on top.

As far as heat goes, a lot of the import guys use it for engine covers if that give you an idea of what it can take. Their website claims up to 200 degrees of heat resistance.

Another note, you can use regular paint over the top and it will peel off with the plastidip should you change your mind.

Haggis:

Give me a holler when you do this or if you already have. I would be interested in seeing the results first hand; if you'd be cool with that.

Mahalo!

Step'67 11-29-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 6393548)
First thing that comes to mind for where i live would be getting door dings, guess it would depend on the angle of the hit as to if it would dent or tear?

I haven't had any issues with it getting torn. This stuff is pretty tough, and as long as whatever hits it doesn't have a sharp edge, it wont cut. It takes quite a bit of force to cut, let alone actually tear Dip from the underlying surface. I do have one door ding that I noticed shortly after painting it, and the only reason I can see it is because the line is a slightly lighter color than the surrounding paint. You really have to look for it to see it though.

american revolution 11-29-2013 04:35 PM

can you spray a clear over a patina original paint truck to keep that original patina look. will it protect it?

JointTech 11-29-2013 11:01 PM

assuming $300ish in dip. What does $300-$500 worth of sherman williams auto paint get you? Will it last as long? when does dip start fading or cracking. It looks really cool vs $3000 in PPG paint, but if you are comparing it to cheap paint?? Sherman williams is theonly place around me that sells paint and the quote was for a matte grey in their house brand. not including primer.

I was thinking of priming in normal car paint and then doing the rest of the truck in that plastidip hot pink. my wife would love it. Then in a year I can peel it off and paint it the color I want.

Haggis 11-30-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahloha (Post 6393560)
Haggis:

Give me a holler when you do this or if you already have. I would be interested in seeing the results first hand; if you'd be cool with that.

Mahalo!

I've already started. Just been working on the roof so far, got about 3 coats on. I'm only using the spray cans from Home Depot, so its not the best way to do it, but cheapest. I also did very little prep other than cleaning it because this is only meant to be short term paint job, hence why it looks a bit uneven and you can see filler cracks (which i didn't do, I found then while sanding down the rough spots in the paint). So far I'm 4 cans on the roof alone, roughly $25, I'll need one more to finish it off, then a lot more for the body but this is the cheap way to do it.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/645...0/198/d0nn.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by american revolution (Post 6394090)
can you spray a clear over a patina original paint truck to keep that original patina look. will it protect it?

Oh yes. They make a clear version of the plastidip. A lot of people use this in place of a clear bra for the front of the car to protect from chips. Now its not a permanent solution, but it should protect for 2-3 years no problem.

I also want to note, some paint shops have added plasitdip to their available services for very reasonable pricing. We have a couple places here in SLC that will do a full car for around $500 depending on size and color, just striping for $150 and they can even custom tint it for you.

swamp rat 11-30-2013 01:31 AM

So reading above about comparing to paint, i'm not a body man but i envision needing some kind of a paint booth with positive ventilation and exhaust/filter to do a halfway decent paint job, what about Plasti dip? Just spray it outside? have some of you painted lesser expensive paint outdoors too?

Haggis 11-30-2013 02:13 AM

The nicer the setup, the nicer it will turn out. I'm just doing mine outside in my driveway. It dries very quickly, and even being here in the fall underneath trees I haven't had anything stick into it. I just always give it a good wash off before laying another coat if I have to leave it for a few days. I also am focusing on just one panel at a time since I am outside and using spray cans, that way its easier to keep on top of it. Obviously using an indoor area or some kind of makeshift protection would allow you to go at it much quicker. With a spray gun setup and a garage, you could easily have it done in 1-2 days.

Step'67 11-30-2013 04:24 AM

As Haggis said, the nicer your "spray booth" the less contaminants will attach to the paint. You don't need to go crazy, and you can just paint it outdoors, but doing it indoors, hanging some plastic, and removing as much dust as possible goes a long ways. Painting out of a rattle can with this stuff is just like using spray paint, it can be done (Evaded's rides look very good), but usually doesn't look nearly as good (uneven, striping, etc). If you do it "the right way" with actual thinned Dip out of an HVLP gun, one can achieve much better results. You can easily do an entire vehicle in one day, from prep to baking it in the sun using an HVLP gun.

While Haggis said it's cheaper to use the spray cans, that's true if you are taking into account buying the sprayer as well. But for around $25, thinning the Dip yourself, you could have nearly a gallon of sprayable Dip, ready to produce much better results and a much smoother more consistent finish. If you're on a tight budget, or don't want to justify buying the sprayer, that makes sense. But if you can afford the sprayer (or even a cheap Harbor Freight HVLP gun that the Dip community says still works great) I'm more of a fan of, if you're going to do it, do it right.

In regards to the question about covering patina with it. As long as it is well prepped, free of any dirt, debris, paint chips, etc, theoretically it should cover just fine. I used clear Plasti Dip to make my own color, so you could just spray it with the clear Dip without mixing any pigments in it. Or use Plasti Dip gloss, just depends on the look you're going for.

richards72chevy 11-30-2013 07:51 AM

I like it your truck looks good step 67.

sublime1996525 11-30-2013 11:49 AM

I almost bought the pro car kit with the 5 gallons of paint for like $395 yesterday. I'm not sure if there sale goes to Monday or not but might be worth checking out.

Step'67 11-30-2013 12:56 PM

If you do, be sure to post pics once done! :metal: They do often have sales on their site so around this time of the year there probably are quite a few, and it appears that one sale does go till Monday. Note: Right now there is a 20% off everything sale going on until Monday (12/2 till Midnight EST) so if anyone is interested, check it out now (Coupon Code: Friday).

Quote:

Originally Posted by richards72chevy (Post 6394846)
I like it your truck looks good step 67.

Thanks bud, a work in progress as they always seem to be :lol:

az's1971C10 11-30-2013 01:28 PM

Step67,
What color did u use? Is it Gunmetal gray or anthracite ? When u prepped your rig did u sand to metal ? I bought 3 cans yesterday to spray on my tailgate as a test sight. I plan on spraying it today or tomorrow and will post my results. By the way while at Home Depot I ended up talking with a pro paint shop guy who professionally sprayed one of his vehicles and he didn't like how it turned out. He said the texture came out "grainy".

Cheers

Step'67 11-30-2013 01:44 PM

Mine was a custom color. I took standard dip and mixed in Antique Silver Metallic pigment by Jacquard until I liked the color. Sanding to metal is absolutely not necessary. Dip is designed to be sprayed over top of existing paint, sanding to metal probably won't benefit any and kind of defeats the purpose of Dip. My ride was already in primer (I did some body work before shooting), so I wet sanded the entire vehicle to make sure it was nice and smooth, then shot it. As far as the "pro paint shop guy", I'd say he did it wrong. Yes if it was a matte paint, people have to understand that it will have a slight texture to it once dry, that's just the nature of matte Dip. If someone wants a very smooth and shiny finish, use Plasti Dip Glossifier over top. But from your "grainy" description, maybe didn't mix it before shooting, too hot outside, incorrect gun settings, too light of coats, etc. I've come to learn that people who claim themselves to be professionals at Home Depot, some are but most aren't, just my experience. Dip is different than spraying standard paint, so he probably just wasn't familiar with the process. The sample pictures of the speed shapes on Page 1 show properly prepped and sprayed dip of both gloss and matte.

One great resource is DipYourCar's YouTube videos. There are several where they go through the entire process and show the results in the end. To anyone looking to experiment with this stuff, or do an entire ride, I highly recommend at least watching a video or two.

Be sure to post any results, Dip on! :chevy:

az's1971C10 11-30-2013 04:37 PM

Thanks Step, I should have gone back and looked at your original post because now I remember saying you wet sanded it.

I took his info with a grain of salt. He was at Home Depot buying other stuff for his shop, not paint to paint with. I have a shop that I would trust for real info when it comes time to put a glossy paint job on it.

Thanks again for the info.

cheers

burnin oil 11-30-2013 04:56 PM

I read alot of this thread and one thing came to mind. Why not just paint it. I bought quality paint, sealer, and etch primer for about the same price as you spent on the plasti cote. Mine will last the long haul. If you want to change the color all that is needed is to scuff it, seal it, and shoot a new color. Now it has even more layers of protection from rust. What did I miss on the the benefit of plasti cote?

Step'67 11-30-2013 07:58 PM

I'd say there are many reasons, but the number one, it's different. People aren't saying that spraying Plasti Dip is better than actual automotive paint, but it has its advantages just like anything else. The reason I chose it was simple, it was cheap, easy to apply, didn't leave me with a fear that someone would scratch or key it, and in the event something did go wrong all I had to do was peel it off and my truck was simply back to how I started.

As far as spraying standard paint, then having to re-scuff everything, base, and clear it again for a simple color change, it depends on who you talk to if it is easier or not. Of course mine hasn't been on that long, but I have yet to find someone on the forums who applied Dip properly that is complaining of it fading or what not. I believe its life span is comparable to a mid range paint job.

Consider the fact that someone already has even a cheap HF HVLP gun, and all the throw away items for doing any paint job. All that is left to be purchased is the dip. You can self thin and make 4 gallons of dip for around $150. I would be very impressed if you could find me some actual quality primer, sealer, base, and clear all for less than that amount. In my mind, and from pricing known quality paints, this was the cheaper route.

Back to the real reason I did it, which will vary per person. It wasn't the cost. I saw the product, had a need that it would fill, and wanted to see how well it worked. I was more than willing to put down a few hundred dollars if it meant discovering a great product that fit my needs and I may use down the road. And in fact I have, just finished helping a friend of mine plan out his old Dodge Sweptline pickup that he is doing in KOI Orange (I'll try and get pics at some point).

Every one has their own needs, their own access to materials, and their own depth of pockets. Different products fit different peoples wants and needs, and I believe that Plasti Dip is simply another product that I'm trying to spread info about so that those people may take it into consideration. :chevy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by az's1971C10 (Post 6395311)
Thanks Step, I should have gone back and looked at your original post because now I remember saying you wet sanded it.

I took his info with a grain of salt. He was at Home Depot buying other stuff for his shop, not paint to paint with. I have a shop that I would trust for real info when it comes time to put a glossy paint job on it.

Thanks again for the info.

cheers

I'm with you, I would definitely trust an auto paint shop more than a guy from Home Depot :lol:

Superdrag67 11-30-2013 08:07 PM

Did the top a little while ago in white. Will see how it holds up.

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/y...7/DSCN1042.jpg

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/y...7/DSCN1047.jpg

burnin oil 11-30-2013 08:51 PM

Thanks step 67. Cost me about double that for single stage paint with primer and sealer for Nasson.

az's1971C10 11-30-2013 10:27 PM

I have rattle canned 2.5 cans on the tail gate so far and it looks better than the paint job i have on it now. The problem I have is some of the paint is chipped to bar metal and other areas I smoothed out by sanding. I was going to finish it tomorrow but I was offered to go to the Forty Niner game, so guess where I'm going.

cheers

Step'67 12-01-2013 06:24 PM

:lol: I hear ya AZ, post some pics when you do get it done if ya can, I'm curious to see how she looks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superdrag67 (Post 6395527)
Did the top a little while ago in white. Will see how it holds up.

Nice truck man, looks good! :chevy:

Blitz 12-01-2013 09:23 PM

Damn OP, your truck looks extremely nice "Dipped". Yours would be the first classic vehicle I've seen use it and with the flat/satin color craze, I think it will continue to be a big deal. I have PD'd a few things on my modern DD and am I believer. When the time comes I may pick your brain on how you got that exact color and finish. It looks really nice.

For those of you concerned about the "what ifs", at about $4 a can you can experiment with it. Don't like it? Just peel it off with NO worries. I think all the concerns are covered by DYC's "Tube" videos.

az's1971C10 12-02-2013 11:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is how my tailgate turned out. It's much better than what it looked like before.

az's1971C10 12-02-2013 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Step67,
Does your texture look like this or smoother? I assume spraying on with a quality spray gun would make it smoother. This was all done with the rattle cans.

I think I'm going to try the whole truck, I just need to decide if I should purchase the gun through Dip your car or get a mid-level Wagner. Any recommendations are welcome.

Step'67 12-03-2013 09:39 PM

It's hard to tell, what color is that? I can't tell if it is the texture (or camera) making the paint look like many different colors or if it actually is multiple colors. If it is the texture, then yes mine is more smooth. The benefit of the actual HVLP gun is you can lay down nice and even coats, fairly heavy. It seems the heavier you apply each coat without having it run, the more smooth it will be as Dip seems to also reliquify the layer underneath along with the top layer leveling out.

I like that color, and am impressed it came from a rattle can. I can't see any stripes to speak of. Good work man! I would definitely suggest purchasing a gun if you are to do your whole rig. I used the Graco 2900 from Lowe's and am very happy with it. Earlex also makes an identical model for a bit more I believe (both of these are what DYC used to include in their kits and use on their own vehicles). Now there's also DipYourCar's new sprayer they just released available from their website. As for Wagner, read some reviews on Dip's forum if you can. From what I read they seem to not spray as even or consistent as the others I recommended. Any of those would be at the top of my recommendation level as they are in a decent price point and seem to produce great results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz (Post 6397088)
Damn OP, your truck looks extremely nice "Dipped". Yours would be the first classic vehicle I've seen use it and with the flat/satin color craze, I think it will continue to be a big deal. I have PD'd a few things on my modern DD and am I believer. When the time comes I may pick your brain on how you got that exact color and finish. It looks really nice.

For those of you concerned about the "what ifs", at about $4 a can you can experiment with it. Don't like it? Just peel it off with NO worries. I think all the concerns are covered by DYC's "Tube" videos.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I like the understated look of this matte silver and thought it would go well with the truck. I 100% agree with your thoughts on the "what if" side of things. Watch a video, try it, if you don't like it, peel it off. That's how I started. Pick away, I'll try to be as much help as is useful. :lol:

az's1971C10 12-03-2013 10:53 PM

The color is gunmetal grey. The first pic might make it look like two colors one being darker than the other. All it is is the lighting. The second pic is an up close photo so I could show the texture. Both were taken with an Ipad 2. In fact this is the first time I have posted pics because I couldn't figure it out before. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer!!

There are no streaks or zebra stripes. I actually took my time and waited 20 minutes between each coat. I should have warmed the spray cans first though.

Anyway, a co-worker has agreed to let me barrow his gravity paint gun. When I get that I will order the paint. His stepfather is a professional body man / painter and I have been told by several people he is one of the best old school guys in the area. And he and the owner of the shop he works at are super nice guys who have answered many of my questions. I will post my pics when I finally paint the rig. Thanks again for your help 67.

Cheers
Az

dan468 12-04-2013 05:21 PM

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...pse5692e89.jpg

is this color possible?

long'n low 12-04-2013 05:32 PM

I bet if you took there black for 2-3 coats then added some glossifier into the black for another 2-3 coats you could get a similar sheen on the black. Another option is to add some pear to the black bit it comes out a bit more grey.

I haven't played much but have been looking at what others have done.

dan468 12-04-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by long'n low (Post 6401779)
I bet if you took there black for 2-3 coats then added some glossifier into the black for another 2-3 coats you could get a similar sheen on the black. Another option is to add some pear to the black bit it comes out a bit more grey.

I haven't played much but have been looking at what others have done.

That looks like a pretty good plan, at least worth the shot. I emailed them and asked for more pics of the glossifier too. It's for a 64 Lincoln, not the 68 SWB :)

dan468 12-04-2013 06:51 PM

I found it, they have a bunch of examples on Facebook. This one is 50/50 black and glossifier

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

long'n low 12-04-2013 07:02 PM

I wonder how long you can leave it in your gun?? can you make a batch up and shoot one coat at a time or do you have to mix it up per coat??

Be nice if you could shoot it onto a some scrap and adjust the mix until you get the sheen/color you want

ahsom79vette 12-04-2013 07:57 PM

Nice job Step'67.

I was looking into this several months ago for my Chevy Cobalt, and maybe my '71. Only problem is if you live in CALIFORNIA, Dip Your Car cannot ship any of the Dip. It's CA regulations...:waah:

I know that DYC is doing all they can to help with this, and maybe soon we can purchase this here. I've seen a few paint shops that will dip cars in So. Cal., maybe some could be purchased through them?

Better Yet, going out-of-state for the holidays? Get some shipped to your non-California relatives and then pick it up from them...

ahsom79vette 12-04-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 6393548)

DYC has videos on *Tube showing how to repair any spots that may for some reason get damaged. I think you basically just remove a patch, with some solvent, and then respray that area. Again, search their forum.:metal:

Step'67 12-05-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by az's1971C10 (Post 6400684)
The color is gunmetal grey. The first pic might make it look like two colors one being darker than the other. All it is is the lighting. The second pic is an up close photo so I could show the texture. Both were taken with an Ipad 2. In fact this is the first time I have posted pics because I couldn't figure it out before. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer!!

There are no streaks or zebra stripes. I actually took my time and waited 20 minutes between each coat. I should have warmed the spray cans first though.

Anyway, a co-worker has agreed to let me barrow his gravity paint gun. When I get that I will order the paint. His stepfather is a professional body man / painter and I have been told by several people he is one of the best old school guys in the area. And he and the owner of the shop he works at are super nice guys who have answered many of my questions. I will post my pics when I finally paint the rig. Thanks again for your help 67.

Cheers
Az

That's awesome, gunmetal looks good on just about anything. Definitely an HVLP gravity feed is the way to go. Definitely post pics, anytime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan468 (Post 6401756)
is this color possible?

Absolutly. Looks to be black Dip coated with a Glossifier/Clear mixture to get that satin finish. There are many different ways to achieve that sheen, check out their forum for more info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by long'n low (Post 6401927)
I wonder how long you can leave it in your gun?? can you make a batch up and shoot one coat at a time or do you have to mix it up per coat??

Be nice if you could shoot it onto a some scrap and adjust the mix until you get the sheen/color you want

This stuff doesn't dry via a catalyzed reaction, it dries by evaporation of the thinner. So yes, you can leave it at least in a paint bucket for a long time as long as it is sealed. I don't know about the gun, probably not the best airtight seal. However, yes, you can store it in an air tight container. When I did mine I just mixed two gallons at a time in a big 5 gallon bucket, but you can mix it all at once if wanted. I did it this way though to ensure proper distribution of my pigment throughout the Dip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahsom79vette (Post 6401994)
Nice job Step'67.

I was looking into this several months ago for my Chevy Cobalt, and maybe my '71. Only problem is if you live in CALIFORNIA, Dip Your Car cannot ship any of the Dip. It's CA regulations...:waah:

I know that DYC is doing all they can to help with this, and maybe soon we can purchase this here. I've seen a few paint shops that will dip cars in So. Cal., maybe some could be purchased through them?

Better Yet, going out-of-state for the holidays? Get some shipped to your non-California relatives and then pick it up from them...

Thanks bud. Good old California restrictions. Yah, if you want to do it yourself, I would at least approach a shop who sprays them. The worst they can say is no. That's the way to do it, family comes in handy sometimes. :lol:

ianw31 01-10-2014 03:46 AM

Subscribed! I've been doing a lot of research on dip your car and you tube and can't wait to get a kit for my truck. Very cool to see it on a C-10 looks good!

ahsom79vette 01-10-2014 04:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here check out this '71 C10 Matte Black.

There's a lot of pics posted on there as dan468 said.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

kelbystanley 01-10-2014 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Step'67 (Post 6391446)
Alright, awesome, we have interest. I'll kind of break these into separate posts as they come. To start us off,

Cost and Application

So the benefit, as I mentioned, of this product is cost. I'm going to start off by posting the link to a company's website: https://www.dipyourcar.com/

I would coin these guys with truly turning the product known as Plasti Dip into an automotive goldmine. They, and their forum, are a great resource for all things "Dip". Now I believe that Plasti Dip targets DIY'ers and guys (and gals of course) who like to do things themselves, so they offer their "Pro Car Kit" that comes in a variety of included color's and amounts of each. For a larger vehicle with a standard color (black, red, etc) I would probably look towards their 5 gallon kit. This not only includes the paint, but an airless hvlp sprayer, masking tape, paper, mixing wand, cleaner, basically everything you need to spray a vehicle.

Cost for their largest kit: $435.00 USD, but don't stop reading yet.

That price is truly what grabbed my attention, even if I just wanted to experiment with it. I don't truly know exactly how many gallons of their dip it takes to do a vehicle such as ours since I went a different route, which I will explain in a bit. But for a kit that is supposed to cover a large truck/SUV, I believe that is a good starting point.

Now I did it differently. I wanted something a bit different and that's where Plasti Dip's flexibility comes in. I bought clear Plasti Dip, unthinned (DipYourCar sells it prethinned 50/50 with a thinner mix) from http://www.awarehousefull.com/ and thinned it myself 50/50 with Naptha (bought at Home Depot). I then mixed Antique Silver Metallic pigment into the clear until I reached my desired look (This is where DipYourCar's forum came in). I also bought the sprayer separately. Doing it this way I saved a great deal of money while still ending up with more dip than if I had bought the kit. However, If you aren't feeling that adventurous, their kits are great as well.

As a side note, because the pigment I used was not completely opaque, and I had different shades of contrasting primer on the truck throughout, it took me several more coats and a couple more gallons than if you were to do a standard solid color. Just something to keep in mind if you want a custom metallic color.

Application is similar to standard paint. It can be applied with a normal HVLP, compressor driven gun as well. The key is to lay it on light, for the first couple of layers, then more thick as you go to let it flow and even out. It takes several coats for complete coverage, probably a minimum of 5-6 for a specific reason. The thicker you put it on (within reason), the tougher it is, and the easier it is to peel off in one piece if and when you so choose to.

As a disclaimer, I'm not an expert in this stuff and don't claim to be. But I have found it to be a great product with a great supporting community behind it.

What did you buy from awarehousefull.com? There is a lot to choose from?

nicks diner 01-10-2014 08:08 AM

Got a2011jk and its huge in the jeep clan. personally have some on my rimss to cover up some chrome I don't care for and this is a great product. had it on for over a year and still perfect. And will peal right off if you whant. As far as prep just a clean surface and your good to go.

Step'67 01-10-2014 03:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelbystanley (Post 6463138)
What did you buy from awarehousefull.com? There is a lot to choose from?

This is personally what I bought, they also offer discount buying more than one gallon: http://www.awarehousefull.com/rubber...e-your-colors/ This is the same stuff DipYouCar sells, just unthinned.

It really is a great product. Note: I recently got some nasty water spots on the dip from rain that came through and I didn't wash off for some time. These spots seemed to etch themselves into the dip, and no matter what I tried, I could not clean them off. That's when I realized it wasn't actually dirty, rather whatever was in the rain etched into the sheen. The solution: Armor All. A quick coat of Armor All over the entire truck, just like a spray wax on paint, got rid of the marks and brought the gorgeous metallic sheen back. It has since been a couple weeks, and the spots have yet to show once more. (Pardon my iPhone's lack of ability to take good pictures of this paint.)