The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   GLASSPACKS-Who manufactures the best one? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=714674)

Smokintire70 08-09-2016 08:49 PM

GLASSPACKS-Who manufactures the best one?

I really love the sound of a glasspack. Although people have told me that they are all crappy. I somehow don't believe they are all terrible. I need help finding out which one I should purchase. Money is no issue- they are glasspacks.

Thanks everyone. Feel free to start a poll.

68350 08-09-2016 09:35 PM

Re: GLASSPACKS-Who manufactures the best one?

I personally love the thrush glass packs. Nice mellow sound while cruising and loud when you want them to be

special-K 08-09-2016 09:42 PM

I'm not up on what's still around or not, but Cherry Bomb and Thrush are what guys always ran when they were so popular. Not to be yet another guy steering you away, but have you ever considered chambered mufflers? They are what Vette sidepipes had and are bullet shape

allchevy58 08-10-2016 12:16 AM

Flow-Pro sound good and last. Back in the day, Purple Hornies sound good.

kcsa75 08-10-2016 12:28 AM

When I was into that sort of thing, it didn't matter which muffler was "best." We would take a brand new glasspack out of the box, soak the inside with lighter fluid and light it up. That burned out all the fiberglass.
The idea was to be loud. But if you got stopped by the cops, you could say you had a muffler.

special-K 08-10-2016 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcsa75 (Post 7678868)
When I was into that sort of thing, it didn't matter which muffler was "best." We would take a brand new glasspack out of the box, soak the inside with lighter fluid and light it up. That burned out all the fiberglass.
The idea was to be loud. But if you got stopped by the cops, you could say you had a muffler.

The first day I ran like that a cop gave me a ticket. He passed going the opposite direction and noticed I was loud, but didn't do anything. He said it wasn't till he could still here me through the woods after we both had turned onto parallel roads with the woods between that he came looking for me! I had picked up my friend and was headed out when he found me 10 minutes later. I guess that was a little loud :lol:

I bought my first set of Thrush Hush mufflers that same week. That was Thrush's answer to stricter sound level laws that were being implemented around the country in the mid-70s. Basically, the beginning to the end of glass pack popularity.

Ken B 08-10-2016 06:22 AM

And make no mistake, the round Hush Thrush mufflers were very loud when you nailed it. I had a set on a 69 Dodge Charger R/T with a built 440 with 4 speed back in the 80's and it sounded wicked...
I've had the old style Cherry Bomb's as well, you could start with a pair of them. Not too expensive so if you don't like them you can look for something else...

67 chevelle 08-10-2016 07:37 AM

I also had cheery bombs on my 68 camaro at one point , they were too loud , even for a 18 year old ,off coarse I had nothing behind them , Im sure they would have sounded completely different with a crossover [something we never imagined ] and tail pipes out the back .

AnotherWs6 08-10-2016 10:12 AM

I put this guy on my Silverado a few months ago after my SECOND Flowmaster rusted out again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Running stock manifolds and cats, then back to this thing and it just ends before the axle, no tail pipe or anything. I was impressed by the quality, it is a heavy item too. It really doesn't sound much different than the 2 chamber flowmaster I had dumped in the same spot before. That might be specific to my setup. Not sure how it would sound on a motor with headers, no cats etc. Would buy again.

Ft.ValloniaStreaker 08-10-2016 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cherry bombs are my choice. Like stated before, just to prove that you have mufflers. I like the downhill rumble to.....

Stephen717 08-10-2016 01:32 PM

I am partial to flowmaster and i know they dont make a glasspack (if I had to have a glass pack I'd get a thrush) but they do have a pro series race muffler that I looked at for my truck. part number 815430.

special-K 08-10-2016 03:34 PM

I have full length headers, Flowmasters, no crossover, and galvaneel 2 1/4" pipes running all the way back tipped down from behind the Bartens bumper in the rear corners. I did all that in '04 and it still sounds great and still holding together fine without touching a thiing. In fact, just did heads, painted the headers back up, new gaskets and bolts and movin' on down the road sounding great!

ck5566 08-12-2016 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7678951)
The first day I ran like that a cop gave me a ticket. He passed going the opposite direction and noticed I was loud, but didn't do anything. He said it wasn't till he could still here me through the woods after we both had turned onto parallel roads with the woods between that he came looking for me! I had picked up my friend and was headed out when he found me 10 minutes later. I guess that was a little loud :lol:

I bought my first set of Thrush Hush mufflers that same week. That was Thrush's answer to stricter sound level laws that were being implemented around the country in the mid-70s. Basically, the beginning to the end of glass pack popularity.

Speaking of Thrush Hush mufflers back in the late 70's Me & the Wife had a 70 1/2 Z28 350 LT1 pumped just a little and I did install the Thrush Hush shorty mufflers right from the Collector tubes starter tail pipe. Talk about LOUD, yep yep

PS I also had Cherry Bombs on my 57 Cadillac, we ran it on the free way to heat them up and then ran the garden hose up the pipes, probably did the same thing in melting the fiberglass. it was a sweet sounding Cad.

Ironhorse 08-12-2016 09:38 AM

I personally like the Thrush mufflers myself. Deep, mellow tone until you nail it, then they "talk" to you. I have 40 year old original round galvanized Thrushes on my '57 with headers. Love it! My '71 Chevelle has Thrush Turbo's with full length 2 1/4'' true duals, no X or H pipe. Deep mellow tone and loud enough for me when I hammer it. Not too loud at cruise that I can't hear the stereo cranking out CCR, Bob Seger, Stones or similar. Can't go wrong with Thrushes in my opinion. :chevy:

Brysenj 08-12-2016 09:44 AM

I got duel magnaflow glass packs on mine you can cruise around or have the whole neighborhood hear you

Eddie H. 08-12-2016 10:13 AM

I had cherry bombs back in the old days. One time the county sheriff pulled me over, said he could hear me coming from 3 miles away. I guess the fact that I was doing about 130 mph when I went past him didn't help either.

Smokintire70 08-12-2016 10:05 PM

Thank you guys so much this has been very helpful! I didn't know there we so many brands. Thanks!

midniteblues 08-13-2016 12:49 PM

Cha cha cha CHERRY BOMB!

i had the kind that bolted straight too the header and short turn outs out the side. I was stopped twice each time the officer asked me if i had any exhaust....you could clearly see the pipes coming out. Never a ticket just a damn thats loud car warning.

I removed them for a proper exhaust but still have it i keep them around and use them on projects till i get a good system on.