The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DG4 Below eyeline mirrors, replacement elbows and mirror heads (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=800535)

randy500 02-01-2020 08:43 PM

DG4 Below eyeline mirrors, replacement elbows and mirror heads

2 Attachment(s)
Elbows, 4.5” even offset
Signal Stat 7933
Truck lite 97869
Napa LIT 97869

Mirrors
Truck lite 97805
Signal Stat 7053
Other part numbers
Napa LIT 97660

Last pic is an oddball part number for a 4.5” even offset stainless elbow.

Ol Blue K20 02-01-2020 08:48 PM

Re: DG4 Below eyeline mirrors, replacement elbows and mirror heads

Great information. I have always been able to find them a Napa parts stores. They carry signal stat.

Ironhorse 02-01-2020 08:50 PM

Subscribed to this, good info.

jaros44sr 02-02-2020 10:00 AM

I just bought the arms at NAPA, needed part# for mirror, thanks for the help counter guy said he couldn't find them, now I have help

DeadheadNM 02-02-2020 10:09 AM

Randy which mirror head is that shown in the photo? Attachment point looks centered. Thanks for posting.

HOTFUN 02-02-2020 01:27 PM

Subscribed

randy500 02-02-2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8671114)
Randy which mirror head is that shown in the photo? Attachment point looks centered. Thanks for posting.

It is a centered mirror head, lal the part numbers i listed should be too, there could be errors so double check.

That mirror is a very old stock napa mirror that i got off ebay.

Do you have a source for a similar to factory tall acorn nut?

randy500 02-02-2020 02:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Saving pics of 2 styles of 72 DG4 mirror lower arms. I think the first pic which i will call style 1 is less common, i also think they are a little sleeker. I believe the upper arm is slightly different on each style. Probably 2 manufacturers of these mirrors.

DeadheadNM 02-02-2020 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by randy500 (Post 8671241)
Do you have a source for a similar to factory tall acorn nut?

Alas, no. They do replate well though. I’ll root around and see if I have one here to post up. Closest I found locally were these blunt domed chrome examples. Also got skunked looking for appropriate size fiber washers.

I will mention that very recently I had a pair of nos painted mirror supports done in show chrome with a small bezel all for $52 plus shipping. Rechrome of existing supports might be a good way to go if anyone is chasing details.

randy500 02-02-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8671297)
Alas, no. They do replate well though. I’ll root around and see if I have one here to post up. Closest I found locally were these blunt domed chrome examples. Also got skunked looking for appropriate size fiber washers.

I will mention that very recently I had a pair of nos painted mirror supports done in show chrome with a small bezel all for $52 plus shipping. Rechrome of existing supports might be a good way to go if anyone is chasing details.

I figured as much on the acorns.
Seems like a great deal on the chrome work, you know the question....where?

jaros44sr 02-02-2020 05:18 PM

Totally stainless maybe a supplier

DeadheadNM 02-02-2020 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Electroplating of El Paso

FWIW I’ve seen the stubbier chrome mirror supports on G10 vans.

FirstOwner69 02-02-2020 05:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I found some chrome plated acorn nuts that are very close to the shape of the originals. However, the originals were not chrome or even shiny. All the non-chrome nuts I found had the low dome look. I bought the chrome nuts at Menard's as I recall, but it could have been Fleet Farm for those of you who have those stores in your area.

Here are pictures of an original and one of the chrome nuts I'm using.

EDIT: I believe this shape is referred to as "bullet acorn nuts". Try googling that.

randy500 02-02-2020 07:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks FirstOwner. Bullet acorn led me to hugh crown acorn nuts.
Found some almost identical shape and in stainless
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0767NV5XX...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Second picture is original acorn nuts.

DeadheadNM 02-02-2020 08:55 PM

That’s a good match. Let us know how they work. The chrome examples look nice too.

KQQL IT 02-02-2020 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A slightly smaller mirror

https://www.grote.com/products/12243...elretail-pack/

randy500 02-03-2020 02:34 AM

I just ordered the stainless high crown acorn nuts from amazon, tuesday delivery, will post actual pics installed then.
Kind of expensive at about $32 with tax for 5 of them.

special-K 02-03-2020 08:32 PM

A company called Colony makes hardware kits and hardware for Harleys and they offer peaked acorn nuts.

http://colonymachine.com/

Drag Specialties, Custom Chrome, J&P Cycles sells their stuff

https://www.bing.com/aclk?ld=e3PeqKi...5f&adlt=strict

FirstOwner69 02-04-2020 02:33 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Since this appears to be on the verge of becoming a comprehensive DG4 mirror thread, I figured I'd add some observations I've made over the last 50 years or so.

I've found that there were 2 DG4 bracket variations between 1969 and 1971 in addition to the 1972 style.

Regarding the 1969-1971 styles:
This information is based on my 1969 originals and a set now on my 69 that I got from a 1970 GMC. The most common, by far, appear to be the type I got from the 1970 GMC. Both utilize the same hole pattern in the doors.

Vertical Supports/Legs...
The first version vertical supports were like the originals on my early 69 (picture 1). They were quite straight at the bottom whereas the second version bowed out from the door (picture 2). My assumption is that the bow may have been added to provide additional clearance with the upper beltline molding as a result of shortening the horizontal door support. Was that molding not available until later in 1969?

Horizontal support to door...
My first version horizontal supports (picture 3) measure 6-7/8 ". The second version (picture 4) measure 5-1/4".

Mirror heads...
The mounting brackets on my original mirror heads were offset vertically which allowed the owner to raise or lower the head by flipping the mirror. Most others I've seen are centered. I have no idea when that change occurred or if mine are truly unique. In an earlier thread I read, someone claimed that this was a Ford design head, but I'm 100% sure mine are original to the truck. Picture 5 was taken the week after I bought the truck in 1969 and clearly shows the offset.

chev-obsession 02-04-2020 02:41 AM

Subscribed

randy500 02-05-2020 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 (Post 8672240)
Since this appears to be on the verge of becoming a comprehensive DG4 mirror thread, I figured I'd add some observations I've made over the last 50 years or so.

I've found that there were 2 DG4 bracket variations between 1969 and 1971 in addition to the 1972 style.

Regarding the 1969-1971 styles:
This information is based on my 1969 originals and a set now on my 69 that I got from a 1970 GMC. The most common, by far, appear to be the type I got from the 1970 GMC. Both utilize the same hole pattern in the doors.

Vertical Supports/Legs...
The first version vertical supports were like the originals on my early 69 (picture 1). They were quite straight at the bottom whereas the second version bowed out from the door (picture 2). My assumption is that the bow may have been added to provide additional clearance with the upper beltline molding as a result of shortening the horizontal door support. Was that molding not available until later in 1969?

Horizontal support to door...
My first version horizontal supports (picture 3) measure 6-7/8 ". The second version (picture 4) measure 5-1/4".

Mirror heads...
The mounting brackets on my original mirror heads were offset vertically which allowed the owner to raise or lower the head by flipping the mirror. Most others I've seen are centered. I have no idea when that change occurred or if mine are truly unique. In an earlier thread I read, someone claimed that this was a Ford design head, but I'm 100% sure mine are original to the truck. Picture 5 was taken the week after I bought the truck in 1969 and clearly shows the offset.

Thank you for adding the observations on the 2 styles of early DG4 mirrors and the dimensions. Im a fan of these mirrors. I had an early set of 69-71 DG4 mirrors about a year ago, i knew they were original but had reservations because they were flat at the bottom.

I really like the picture of the offset mirror heads, i would have never believed they were factory without your picture and knowledge being the original owner.

randy500 02-05-2020 01:25 AM

4 Attachment(s)
My high crown stainless steel acorn nuts arrived today. Machining was a little rough almost exactly as pictured above. I smoothed them a little on the belt sander and then with some scotchbrite. I may polish them later.
Im super happy with them, very close to original shape.

randy500 02-05-2020 01:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Pics of the early style 69-71 DG4 mirrors i had about a year ago. These appear to be the same as Firstowner69 had on his truck when new.

randy500 02-05-2020 01:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting set of 72 only DG4, below eyeline mirrors...different styles of lower brackets on a set of mirrors

randy500 02-05-2020 01:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Close up pic of most common factory acorn nut. I also think the unplated washers and platic washers is correct in this picture.

I believe all 72 mirror glass is date coded at the center bottom of the mirror.