The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   1969 Camaro "Yenko" Clone (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=362164)

nuke1 09-11-2009 01:17 PM

1969 Camaro "Yenko" Clone

5 Attachment(s)
Mods if i am not suppose to do this let me know. Thanks

Hey guys, My wifes uncle asked me if i could do his Camaro for him, He has had it for a number of years and wanted it done finally. Well in my experience all camaros are rusted out hulks. never seen a nice one. Well he brought id down to me on December 21st/08. I looked it over and my jaw dropped this thing is nice! Needs a few replacement panels but overall one sweet ride. He gives me all the paperwork for it and leaves. Well This thing has a BB LS7 in it, built by Neil Fedderly of fedderly racing engines, his brother Bernie is John Forces crew cheif. WOW. Well of course i got it running after sitting for a long time and WOW is all i can say. Just awesome. Anyways the plans for the car are as follow:

Replace all sheetmetal that is needed and do a few simple mods to it to clean up a few lines.

Have the drivetrain gone through and checked, even though it is fairly new, been sitting for a while.

All new suspension, lowered 2 inches, 4 wheel discs, tubular control ares, Guldstrand mod, DSE frame connectors, all around handling car.

Engine bay will be cleaned up, nothing fancy just clean.

Interior all original with gauges to check on the Beast and a steroe that is hidden.

Paint will be 69 camaro green with yenko strips.

nuke1 09-11-2009 01:44 PM

Re: 1969 Camaro "Yenko" Clone

Here is a vid, Sorry uncle Graham, i had to!

HuggerCST 09-11-2009 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice project! Is this the color you're shooting for? This isn't his, but my brother in law is building a Yenko clone also, and was planning to go with the original dark green, almost black. Fathom green, is it? Anyway, his wife, (my sister) talked him into bright red instead. He hopes be be done by the end of the year.

nuke1 09-11-2009 02:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Previously someone had tried to repair this car, well, they did a real crappy job, the quarters were chicken crap welded, the tubs were siliconed on, the front fenders were welded and twisted horrible, you get the idea. a few more pics. More to come yet.

nuke1 09-11-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuggerCST (Post 3513402)
Nice project! Is this the color you're shooting for? This isn't his, but my brother in law is building a Yenko clone also, and was planning to go with the original dark green, almost black. Fathom green, is it? Anyway, his wife, (my sister) talked him into bright red instead. He hopes be be done by the end of the year.

The colore that he wants will be the brighter racing green, not sure of the code yet, do you have a couple of pics of the brothers, interested in seeing it?

HuggerCST 09-11-2009 03:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Wow, I didn't think there was a 69 Camaro left with a trunk floor that nice. My brother in law's car body is at a body shop getting reworked, so I don't have any recent pics of it. The first pic is how it looked when he bought it. He is doing the frame, suspension, and 4 speed trans himself, and built the engine himself. It is a 496.

nuke1 09-11-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuggerCST (Post 3513556)
Wow, I didn't think there was a 69 Camaro left with a trunk floor that nice. My brother in law's car body is at a body shop getting reworked, so I don't have any recent pics of it. The first pic is how it looked when he bought it. He is doing the frame, suspension, and 4 speed trans himself, and built the engine himself. It is a 496.

That is a nice looking car that he has there, 496, hmm the one here is punched to a 468. that front subrame looks real nice and clean. like that.

nuke1 09-11-2009 05:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some more disassembly pics of it. I was gonna put new door shells on it, but decided to just do skins, the structure was in just way too good of shape, the only reason i did the skins is the originals were holeized by a slide hammer at some point in its life, i did not want to fix that at all.

nuke1 09-11-2009 05:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Finished the disassembly and brought her out to the farm, My wifes dad but also Tyler58's (Boardmember) dad for sandblasting. He had it there for a little while for me while i need the space, thanks Don. In june i picked it up and have not worked on it since, until last week i started on it, slowly i will be doin some on it until my arm heals fully.

nuke1 09-11-2009 05:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
This thing is nice, check out some of the following pics.

nuke1 09-11-2009 05:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Just before i started tearing into it! Check out that rear diff cover, think something went KABOOM! Also that drivers floor hump, think someone decided a BFH was needed to fit something.

nuke1 09-11-2009 06:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is a bunch of the parts that i have gotten for the car so far, all the new metal, all of the suspension parts for it and the DSE subframe connectors. I had gotten some rims for it, some 18" coys, but His boys decided they needed them for his 72 MonteCarlo.

nuke1 09-11-2009 06:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Yah i know, my basement looks like crap, parts everywhere and such, but soon they will be gone and the basement renovated!

nuke1 09-11-2009 06:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well this is where i started a few days ago, got the inner tub cut out and the rocker off, also the quarter drop box, once all was take out i cleaned it all up and fit the rocker and then used U-POL's copper weld thru primer for it.

nuke1 09-11-2009 06:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
This is where it is at as of now, the rocker welded in, the rear tubs just sitting there until i get the quarters fit on, that way they are a perfect fit! Just check out that weld on the rear valance, what a weld, gotta love when someone does that.

sourkraut 09-11-2009 08:35 PM

love the garage burnout! when will we ever grow up!!!!!

ksbrktracer 09-11-2009 10:16 PM

I have to say I aint never growin up....I also liked the garage burnout to. Looks like you have your hands full Nuke, Ive got a 67 I am working on myself, Someday I will get to my 69 camaro 56k miles, r-s s-s with no rust, came from Phoenix az, had it since I was 15, has a ton of options and a-c to boot. They had several different Greens back then , the really Dark green was Fathom green, Light green was Frost green and then they had a bright green called Rally green ( I think that is the correct name) kind of a bright grass green , In 68 they also had a British racing green, very dark also. My favorite would be the Rally Green tho....
Keep postin updates as you go........Good luck

nuke1 09-12-2009 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourkraut (Post 3513893)
love the garage burnout! when will we ever grow up!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksbrktracer (Post 3514083)
I have to say I aint never growin up....I also liked the garage burnout to. Looks like you have your hands full Nuke, Ive got a 67 I am working on myself, Someday I will get to my 69 camaro 56k miles, r-s s-s with no rust, came from Phoenix az, had it since I was 15, has a ton of options and a-c to boot. They had several different Greens back then , the really Dark green was Fathom green, Light green was Frost green and then they had a bright green called Rally green ( I think that is the correct name) kind of a bright grass green , In 68 they also had a British racing green, very dark also. My favorite would be the Rally Green tho....
Keep postin updates as you go........Good luck

Hey guys, as far as i know, i never want to grow up, have fun till the big man in the sky comes for me!, That is a highly optioned car you have there, better keep that under lock and key or i will have to come and hunt it down for myself, ;) The color is the 69 Rally green, you are right. thanks. And do not worry i will keep posting updates as they are done. Later guys.

jb1016 09-16-2009 01:20 PM

Subscribed. I know I'm hardly unique in this, but I am such a fiend for 69 camaros. I liked watching that pencil roll around on top of the fender while you were revving it up:sexy:.

nuke1 09-18-2009 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb1016 (Post 3521696)
Subscribed. I know I'm hardly unique in this, but I am such a fiend for 69 camaros. I liked watching that pencil roll around on top of the fender while you were revving it up:sexy:.

funny, i have watched that quite a few times and never once noticed that, too cool! thanks

FRENCHBLUE72 09-30-2009 02:23 PM

Very cool love the old camaros.

jgh64pkup 10-02-2009 10:05 PM

cool build cant wait to see more

nuke1 10-05-2009 01:17 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 (Post 3545427)
Very cool love the old camaros.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup (Post 3549272)
cool build cant wait to see more

Thanks guys, there will be progress this week thou. I did however get tthe engine off the the Engine Builder, my great friend Cory, he also helped build my engine for my truck, so i hope he knows a thing or two about them, Just kidding Cory. he did find a few issues so far with it thou. So Graham if you are reading this , i will talk to you in a bit. Needs a baseplate and rebuild on the carb, a couple pushrods are the wrong lenght and kind, timing chain is stretched, and the lifters and cam are rusty. Also two cylinders have leakdown in the chambers. But that is not that bad. the rest so far seems really good. Here are a few pics for you guys,

Later James

nuke1 10-05-2009 01:19 AM

Double post

nuke1 10-05-2009 01:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more pics, BTW Regulators mount up, that is Cory`s drag bike team, they run around 7`s in the quarter. Sorry cory, had to put a pic of your mug in here.