The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

68post 02-21-2015 01:47 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7059101)
Hah! Just call me "Bubba" then because I absolutely hate those clutch start switches. They are the 2nd thing I remove from a new to me vehicle. The first thing you ask...... those damn silly buzzers.

...hey Bubba...LOL

Gregski 02-21-2015 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7059063)
No it is called an over-center spring. it is a big garage door looking spring.

Might could this be it? Found it in the bed of the truck when I bought it, thought to my self what's this garage spring doing here, and tossed it in the spare truck parts bin, LOL

Titomars 02-21-2015 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7059280)
Might could this be it? Found it in the bed of the truck when I bought it, thought to my self what's this garage spring doing here, and tossed it in the spare truck parts bin, LOL

yup that looks like it. the coil part is about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter heavy gauge wire almost 1/4 inch in diameter. That is a common failure too

Chaplain 02-21-2015 08:44 PM

You guys never give up. Good job...discussion, ideas, shared e-documents and scavenger search for old parts as well as assembly of new parts. Oh and all that with miles between us all.

Gregski 02-21-2015 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7059648)
You guys never give up. Good job...discussion, ideas, shared e-documents and scavenger search for old parts as well as assembly of new parts. Oh and all that with miles between us all.

It's how we do!

Gregski 02-21-2015 09:34 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Painted Brake Pedal

4 Attachment(s)
you guys didn't think I was just eatin' and sleepin' the last few days did you?

here is the brake pedal, original, wire brushed, acid dipped, and finally painted

Gregski 02-21-2015 09:49 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Painted Clutch Pedal

4 Attachment(s)
a better man would have separated these two pieces, taken the clutch pedal completely apart, but hey "IT'S A TRUCK!!!"

first pic - original custom Rust Patina

second pic - after using a 4" angle grinder with a wire brush

third pic - brushed on some Phosphoric acid to get into nooks and cranies

fourth pic - not drying paint inside the house on our beautiful hardwood floor, honey

Gregski 02-21-2015 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
with all the pedals and linkage bits drying it was time to move on to the transmission

first we used the "skateboard" as my daughter calls it to relocate it to the triage facility

rusty76 02-21-2015 10:14 PM

I sure am learning a lot here today.!

Gregski 02-21-2015 10:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
took off the rubber padded bracket that holds the transmission to the cross member, in order to clean both pieces more better

making a mental note that it goes back on there a certain way, seems like it sits closer to the passenger side as it is a bit off center by design

Gregski 02-21-2015 10:37 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Muncie Transmission

5 Attachment(s)
as I was knee deep in operation code name "SM465" I recalled that when I drained the juice out of this iron mellon and shoved my finger in the drain hole I felt some shrapnal

that's it I thought, to take this beast out and not take a peak inside that would be criminal

so out came the shifter so I could shove it half way into reverse, that is the open sesami for taking the lid off

Gregski 02-22-2015 01:10 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Busted Knuckles Garage

3 Attachment(s)
to be honest with you all, I removed the top case off the transmission because I was skierd to take off the sides, you see I looked at so many transmission pics and diagrams, somewhere along the way I got confused into thinking the sides are attached to linkages and rods and clips that when undone I would never git back into place

I am happy to find out that is not the case and that the side panels are just for inspection / cleaning if you will

and let me tell you this transmission is as simple as it gets, and very well put together, simple and strong

but as I went to remove the second side cover, that's when she drew blood, hmm maybe I'll dub this the Busted Knuckles Garage

greg64 02-22-2015 01:24 AM

The old knuckle buster, eh? I tend to wear gloves doing jobs like that these days, I'm tired of cutting up my hands. That and my wife laughs at me when I need yet-another bandaid.

Those side covers are for PTO. The 465 has them on both sides, whereas the earlier SM420 only had a PTO port on one side.

As you can see, the gearing is pretty brawny. The straight cut gear is first. I have the same transmission in my 77. Sure, it shifts like a truck tranny, but I like it.

Gregski 02-22-2015 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7060068)
those side covers are for pto. The 465 has them on both sides, whereas the earlier sm420 only had a pto port on one side.

pto - ?

jetmech85 02-22-2015 01:59 AM

"Power Take Off" An assortment of devices could be driven from a gear box that bolts to the side transmission. A mechanical winch or a hydraulic pump for a dump bed for example.

Titomars 02-22-2015 04:37 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Busted Knuckles Garage

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7060054)

but as I went to remove the second side cover, that's when she drew blood, hmm maybe I'll dub this the Busted Knuckles Garage

Damn she bit you! I guess you need to train that trans to play nice ;)

Gregski 02-22-2015 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetmech85 (Post 7060097)
"Power Take Off" An assortment of devices could be driven from a gear box that bolts to the side transmission. A mechanical winch or a hydraulic pump for a dump bed for example.

Thank you, I did not know that, learned another thing, cool.

El Dorado Jim 02-22-2015 06:28 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Painted the Rocker Covers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 6867903)
why do we call em Valve Covers when the valves don't even live in there well their tails do but anyways, the manual calls em Rocker Covers

these had to be the crusties lids I have ever worked on / with, not too crazy about the gloss black finish but hey that's what I had, I may scuff em up and reshoot them with Semi Flat, we'll see

yeah I forgot to paint the filler cap ok, the devil's in the details, must have been a Monday Night Football night, LOL

no flippin idea why that one pic comes up upside down, guess you can just turn your head to see em, jk

keep em chevy orange!

rusty76 02-22-2015 07:56 PM

Just a little love bite.

Gregski 02-22-2015 10:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
in case some of you didn't know what's inside those universal joint ends, I took one cup off to see them roller bearings for myself

top tip is to put tape around them when off the vehicle so they don't slip off on their own

I will be replacing mine with brand new ones, so I am not too worried

Gregski 02-22-2015 10:20 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Driveshaft

5 Attachment(s)
since the transmission gaskets had to be special ordered and won't arrive till Tuesday, I had to change gears (see what I did there, LOL) and move on to something else to keep The Greg busy

so working our way from the front of the truck to the back, and having cleaned and semi assembled the clutch, and torn appart the tranny, the Drive Shaft was next

so the wire wheeling gets under way...

El Dorado Jim 02-22-2015 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7041597)
so I go to put the first bubble in it with the 3/8th adapter, the thing you are supposed to tighten slides off on one side, the tube hits me in my head, but I press on (a little pun there for ya)

I keep going I take the adapter thingie out and squeeze the tube just with the press thingie and end up with the ugliest half double flare you have ever seen, so ugly I will not be showing you any pictures, we will just collectively say

"IT'S A TRUCK !!!"

and move on to the before and after photos

Hi Greg, I have been reading your thread today for the first time,love it,you are doing a great job and having fun also.....just wanted to comment on the glass fuel filter,I used to run those years ago,until once I was smelling gas and popped the hood to see gas spraying out of the filter like a fan over the motor.....the glass tube had split lengthwise and was spraying gas everywhere,luckily I had a piece of straight steel tubing I carry in my toolbox (I always carry a toolbox in all my rigs) so I was able to get home, from then on I run the one piece see through plastic throw away ones.....just saying....now on to read more of your thread

El Dorado Jim 02-22-2015 10:26 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Air Cleaner

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7043466)
I think I forgot to ask, and be honest with me, does this Caddy air cleaner look stupid on this small block. Its the one LMC truck has though I bought it for half price on eBay, I didn't expect it to be the size of an actual UFO. It may be at home on a big block but it sure takes up a lot of real estate under the hood.

The dilemma is this, if I keep it my buddies tease me that I would have to rename the truck from Rusty to either Darth Vader or Marvin the Martian, and I aint too keen on doing so.

I prefer the aftermarket round chrome ones

El Dorado Jim 02-22-2015 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7043734)
Yeah, if she only was a few inches smaller. I did mention earlier on in the thread that LMC now offers a narrower one but taller, but then they probably want a million dollars for it.

So I am leaning towards this Mr. Gasket Flat BLACK one - seen em fer $25 on eBay filter included, maybe a gray or a black filter would be wicket too

thank you all for reading and commenting, appreciate the input

that would look great on your motor

Gregski 02-22-2015 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim (Post 7061291)
Hi Greg, I have been reading your thread today for the first time,love it,you are doing a great job and having fun also.....

Thank you, glad you like it

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim (Post 7061291)
just wanted to comment on the glass fuel filter,I used to run those years ago,until once .....the glass tube had split lengthwise and was spraying gas everywhere, [...] from then on I run the one piece see through plastic throw away ones

yes, that glass one does make me nervous, its life span may be shorter than we thing, especially now after this shower story, gulp