The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Period Camper Tours - show us! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645421)

jocko 10-05-2014 12:25 AM

Period Camper Tours - show us!

5 Attachment(s)
Recently moved to TX, have truck separation anxiety... Left it in CA, moved to AZ, then the truck arrived in AZ a week after I moved to TX. Would love to put a camper on my truck someday, but plenty more to do to the truck in the meantime. Now, there are lots of camper threads on here, and I love checking out the pics of campers on the trucks - BUT, what I haven't seen much of is the inside of the campers.

So, if you've got a camper on your truck, how's about this - show us an external picture of your truck with the camper on it for reference, then include pictures of the inside of the camper. Please include any data on the camper like mfgr, year, stats, etc. Primarily interested in the no-kidding campers, not necessarily bedcovers or caps. But if it's from the late 60's to early 70's, throw it on here anyway.

I love the slide-ins that require the removal of the tailgate and hang out a few feet, like FirstOwner's - or - the flush rear ones that require the removal f the tailgate but are flush with the rear bumper, like Sideways' awesome setup.

Looking forward to seeing what you have - I DON'T have a camper, but will start this off with a little period literature and and camper shots:

(And, here's a trivia question: can anyone tell me what my relatively new avatar is from? Here's a hint - it's not that new, but I had never seen it before until about a month ago....)

jocko 10-05-2014 12:41 AM

Re: Period Camper Tours - show us!

5 Attachment(s)
a few more to get this rollin (but remember, really looking for INSIDE pics of the camper to accompany the outside glamour shots...):

FirstOwner69 10-05-2014 12:49 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Since you mentioned my name, I'll play.

FirstOwner69 10-05-2014 12:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More...

jocko 10-05-2014 12:52 AM

Yours and Sideways' are two of my favorites - thanks very much, that is exactly what I'm looking for!

FirstOwner69 10-05-2014 12:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 6867624)
Yours and Sideways' are two of my favorites - thanks very much, that is exactly what I'm looking for!

Thanks! The shot on the truck is from 1970. The interior shots are 2004. Below is a 1988 exterior pic. I have others, but they are all in my slide collection.

JasonLS1 10-05-2014 01:20 AM

i love this stuff, amazing to see, I was born in 76 and wish i was born earlier :)

68 50th 10-05-2014 01:47 AM

Subscribed.
I am also looking for a fairly period camper for my 71. There is not much over here to find I`m afraid.
jocko, I had actually the exact same idea to start a thread like this, you beat me to it;)

Thanks

bollybib 10-05-2014 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know anything about this camper, the pic was shared with me by a friend. If I were to put a camper on mine, I would want it to be similar in size and look to this one.

Every once in a while, I look thru CL ads for campers and I usually find good deals on older campers like this one. I'm just not to the point where I want to add something like this to my collection of stuff. Maybe someday, we'll see.

If I could photoshop, I could put this one on mine right now !

Attachment 1309181

jocko 10-05-2014 11:21 AM

Wow, that's a nice one Jim. I seem to see more of the looong ones lying around when I used to go trolling in the desert in CA, the flush shorties seem to be less common, at least in my experience. That's a cool camper AND truck.

No guesses on where the avatar came from yet? :)

Ol Blue K20 10-05-2014 11:44 AM

Jocko, this is just a guess. I'm guessing it's from a chevy custom camper brochure. It has the four points of th compass, different locations in the country and of course the bow tie. Like I said just a guess.

jocko 10-05-2014 11:48 AM

Very good guess, but not quite Dale - it IS from that same era when the brochures would have been published. Any more guesses? One more guess and I'll post where it came from.

FirstOwner69 10-05-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 6867867)
Very good guess, but not quite Dale - it IS from that same era when the brochures would have been published. Any more guesses? One more guess and I'll post where it came from.

I do remember seeing it but not sure where. Perhaps a Chevrolet promotional road atlas?

jocko 10-05-2014 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It was the emblem for "Chevy Camper Magazine" - this cover shot from the Spring '72 edition. I never heard of it before, found it awhile back on ebay, SSTim gave me a heads up it was there, and, lemming-like, I jumped!
It's got some good pics, but it was sort of a cross between a Chevy Custom Camper brochure and a road atlas (so, both very good guesses!) - it had short articles on different places to take a camper, etc. Some of the pics I posted above are from it - the white K20 in the fishing pic, for example. Many of the articles were about non-truck stuff though - it had cars and station wagons pulling small campers, etc. Anyway, thought it was kinda cool, so scanned the magazine's emblem for an avatar.

Elliot949 10-05-2014 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my truck is about 1970-71

Ol Blue K20 10-05-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 6867881)
It was the emblem for "Chevy Camper Magazine" - this cover shot from the Spring '72 edition. I never heard of it before, found it awhile back on ebay, SSTim gave me a heads up it was there, and, lemming-like, I jumped!
It's got some good pics, but it was sort of a cross between a Chevy Custom Camper brochure and a road atlas (so, both very good guesses!) - it had short articles on different places to take a camper, etc. Some of the pics I posted above are from it - the white K20 in the fishing pic, for example. Many of the articles were about non-truck stuff though - it had cars and station wagons pulling small campers, etc. Anyway, thought it was kinda cool, so scanned the magazine's emblem for an avatar.

Once again I have learned something new, thanks Jocko. I would have never guessed that there was a magazine. ..imagine that... life before computers, I remember my parent subscribed to a bunch of them.We also had an antenna and only a few TV channels. Wow!

jocko 10-05-2014 03:46 PM

Rabbit ears rock! Although, I have to admit that I'm currently living in a hotel and it seems pretty frustrating to only have 20(!) cable tv channels... Ha. I miss the old days. Maybe that's why we like these trucks so much (and campers)... simpler times.

FirstOwner69 10-05-2014 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 6868089)
Rabbit ears rock! Although, I have to admit that I'm currently living in a hotel and it seems pretty frustrating to only have 20(!) cable tv channels... Ha. I miss the old days. Maybe that's why we like these trucks so much (and campers)... simpler times.

Did someone say something about simpler times?

mrolds88 10-05-2014 04:09 PM

Wow. Had a 68 model camper I got on trade MANY years ago. It was an 8' inside the tailgate type with the section over the cab. Had a 2 way fridge, 3 way lights, sink and a 3 burner stove. Had a funky setup that flipped the table down for the lower bed setup.

Ol Blue K20 10-05-2014 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 6868089)

Wow!! Have figured out where you're gonna land and settle yet. I hate motel/ hotels yep simpler times.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 (Post 6868100)
Did someone say something about simpler times?

Was that a real brand? If so is it still in production?

FirstOwner69 10-05-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 6868209)
Was that a real brand? If so is it still in production?

It is (was?) made by Minhas Craft Brewery in Monroe, WI, and sold at Trader Joe's stores.

jocko 10-05-2014 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 6868209)
Wow!! Have figured out where you're gonna land and settle yet. I hate motel/ hotels yep simpler times.

Yep, Burleson will be it, but haven't moved into the house yet. Fam still in AZ, "stuff" still in CA. Can you say microwave dinners! Ha. Probably be settled in in a few months.

FL71C10 10-05-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonLS1 (Post 6867636)
i love this stuff, amazing to see, I was born in 76 and wish i was born earlier :)

A lot of people on this forum would gladly trade with you.

JasonLS1 10-05-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FL71C10 (Post 6868544)
A lot of people on this forum would gladly trade with you.

im sure they would, im just fascinated with the late 60's/early 70's era. I refuse to buy a new truck off the lot, dont care much for anything new really. That era just seems to be a more fun and simpler time, im an 80's kid and loved it just as much. :)

jason

DeadheadNM 10-05-2014 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one for you Jocko that I imagine is hard to beat ( http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...631953371.html ). Maybe he'll sell the camper apart from the K20...