The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Loose shaft in column (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=816898)

rechinca 01-13-2021 08:24 PM

Loose shaft in column

So part of my work was rebuilding the steering column. Took it for a maiden voyage and I can pull my steering wheel/shaft toward me about 1/2 -1”. What did I do wrong?

Boog 01-13-2021 08:46 PM

Re: Loose shaft in column

Leave out the big spring and washer at the bottom of the column? It's the preload.

rechinca 01-13-2021 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8863818)
Leave out the big spring and washer at the bottom of the column? It's the preload.

The spring and washer are there. I can pull up on it and the spring pulls it back down. How do I adjust out that preload? I think that may be my issue.

C10DREAMER 01-13-2021 09:38 PM

-
Edited by Moderator:

What you posted was off-topic to this thread. Please start your own thread about your question instead of Hy-jacking this one.

Thanks,
LockDoc, Moderator

LockDoc 01-13-2021 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rechinca (Post 8863829)
The spring and washer are there. I can pull up on it and the spring pulls it back down. How do I adjust out that preload? I think that may be my issue.

Loosen the clamp bolt just above the intermediate shaft flex joint and put some upward pressure on the upper part of the intermediate shaft flex joint while someone holds down on the steering wheel to get the preload on the bearing retainer spring, then tighten the clamp while both are holding them. The preload distance depends on the year of your truck. The preload distance is measured between the large washer and the bottom of the bearing where the spring sits. On a '67 the distance is 7/8". I think the others are listed in the chassis service manuals.

LockDoc

rechinca 01-13-2021 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8863864)
Loosen the clamp bolt just above the intermediate shaft flex joint and put some upward pressure on the upper part of the intermediate shaft flex joint while someone holds down on the steering wheel to get the preload on the bearing retainer spring, then tighten the clamp while both are holding them. The preload distance depends on the year of your truck. The preload distance is measured between the large washer and the bottom of the bearing where the spring sits. On a '67 the distance is 7/8". I think the others are listed in the chassis service manuals.

LockDoc

Lock I just read a post you made a few years back explaining that (along with this one), went out and I’ll be. It worked perfect! Took about 2 mins and that included getting out the wrench and putting it away! Thanks for the info.

LockDoc 01-13-2021 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rechinca (Post 8863869)
Lock I just read a post you made a few years back explaining that (along with this one), went out and I’ll be. It worked perfect! Took about 2 mins and that included getting out the wrench and putting it away! Thanks for the info.

Good deal! I like easy fixes....:)

LockDoc