The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Vendors Marketplace (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   D52 Caliper Rear Disc Brake Brackets (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=398352)

texastrendz 10-09-2010 09:23 PM

Re: D52 Caliper Rear Disc Brake Brackets

pm sent, as well as the money

texastrendz 10-23-2010 09:22 PM

got my brackets, i need the years for the parts that i need. like rotors, calipers and things of that nature

Captainfab 10-23-2010 11:33 PM

The applications and years are listed on the first page of this thread.

Basically you will need front rotors for a '92-'02 AWD Astro/Safari van. The D52 calipers were used on the trucks from '71-'87, as well as many full sized cars from the 60's and 70's. If you need a D52 caliper with a built in e-brake you will need the rear calipers for a '76-'78 Eldorado. As for hoses you can either use hoses from a '71-'72 pickup, hoses for a '79 Chevette, or any of the aftermarket braided stainless hoses.

Is there any other parts you need help with?

Quote:

Originally Posted by texastrendz (Post 4256392)
got my brackets, i need the years for the parts that i need. like rotors, calipers and things of that nature

texastrendz 10-24-2010 01:54 PM

that is exactly what i needed. thanks for the quick response, brackets are beefy. not going to be any flex in them. nice

shiner2001 10-27-2010 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 3941143)

Those are the Eldorado D52 calipers with the built in e-brake. Those are the ones you would use if you need an e-brake on this conversion. If you turn those in as cores, make sure you keep the e-brake levers. As far as I know you cannot buy replacements for them. And yes you can use 15" wheels as long as they are disc brake compatable.

If I were to buy new calipers from the parts store, does that mean that they will not come with everything needed to run an e-brake? Are there parts that will ultimately have to be found used or in a junkyard? I was planning on not running an e-brake, but it hadn't occurred to me that it was necessary for the state safety inspection, so I'll have to go with the Caddy calipers it looks like. Anyone had an experience with finding the Caddy calipers new with the e-brake setup? I don't actually think that for the safety inspection that they usually even check the e-brake, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and not be able to pass inspection sometime down the road.

Captainfab 10-27-2010 11:55 PM

I haven't bought the Eldorado calipers myself, but I have read that they don't come with the arms for the e-brake. Some guys have made their own using the correct size wrench. If you get a set of the Eldorado calipers and they don't come with the arms, and you can't get the issue solved, let me know and I'll get you taken care of.

BTW, your brackets shipped today. You should see them Saturday or Monday at the latest. Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiner2001 (Post 4262851)
If I were to buy new calipers from the parts store, does that mean that they will not come with everything needed to run an e-brake? Are there parts that will ultimately have to be found used or in a junkyard? I was planning on not running an e-brake, but it hadn't occurred to me that it was necessary for the state safety inspection, so I'll have to go with the Caddy calipers it looks like. Anyone had an experience with finding the Caddy calipers new with the e-brake setup? I don't actually think that for the safety inspection that they usually even check the e-brake, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and not be able to pass inspection sometime down the road.

shiner2001 10-28-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 4264534)
I haven't bought the Eldorado calipers myself, but I have read that they don't come with the arms for the e-brake. Some guys have made their own using the correct size wrench. If you get a set of the Eldorado calipers and they don't come with the arms, and you can't get the issue solved, let me know and I'll get you taken care of.

BTW, your brackets shipped today. You should see them Saturday or Monday at the latest. Thanks again.

I got the shipping info today, I appreciate it. As far as the calipers go, I haven't taken a look at any yet in person, so I'm not familiar with them. If anyone has any photos of what they look like in stock form and with a fabbed e-brake set up, that would be awesome. When you say with the correct size wrench, what exactly are you referring to? Sorry for being so in the dark about it all, like I said, I haven't had the calipers in my hands to see for myself yet.

68 TT 10-28-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiner2001 (Post 4264594)
I got the shipping info today, I appreciate it. As far as the calipers go, I haven't taken a look at any yet in person, so I'm not familiar with them. If anyone has any photos of what they look like in stock form and with a fabbed e-brake set up, that would be awesome. When you say with the correct size wrench, what exactly are you referring to? Sorry for being so in the dark about it all, like I said, I haven't had the calipers in my hands to see for myself yet.

I have a set of the Eldorado calipers at home. I will dig them out and post some pics of them this weekend.

shiner2001 10-28-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 TT (Post 4265063)
I have a set of the Eldorado calipers at home. I will dig them out and post some pics of them this weekend.

That would be fantastic! And if you'd care to sell them...I know a guy in Texas that would probably take them off your hands.

68 TT 10-28-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiner2001 (Post 4265067)
That would be fantastic! And if you'd care to sell them...I know a guy in Texas that would probably take them off your hands.

I have three projects of my own fighting over which one will get the Eldorado calipers I have. I will let you know if I come across any more.

shiner2001 10-28-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 TT (Post 4265087)
I have three projects of my own fighting over which one will get the Eldorado calipers I have. I will let you know if I come across any more.

I completely understand that. I will be more than thankful just to get some good pictures of them. May head over to the junkyard in a bit and see if I can get lucky enough to find a set.

MrClean 10-28-2010 12:13 PM

I found these awhile back, but they are way out of my budget:waah:
http://www.tsmmfg.com/3121.htm

texastrendz 10-31-2010 02:30 PM

capt. fab,

i have assembled my rear disc brake kit(d-52 style) and noticed the outer pad is dragging on the rotor hat. is this normal, or should i be concerned? looking at your post of the installed pads it looks like yours are touching as well. is this going to create a singing noise or a vibration in the braking system? thanks again.

cpetersen 10-31-2010 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 650448 Make sure you that you keep the E-Brake brackets.

shiner2001 10-31-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpetersen (Post 4270447)
Attachment 650448 Make sure you that you keep the E-Brake brackets.

Can you post some other angles of that? Particularly the e-brake bracket...many thanks!

cpetersen 10-31-2010 07:42 PM

Did you also put longer wheel studs in?

Captainfab 10-31-2010 10:19 PM

The assembled brackets shown in the pics were the prototype's. And yes the pads were touching the 'hat' of the rotor. After seeing that issue, I made the caliper brackets 1/16" longer to move the caliper farther from center. This is the first that I've heard of anyone having the pads touching the 'hat of the rotor. I suppose there is a certain amount of variances with different pad manufacturers. I don't know if this would create any noises or issues. Do you have a way to grind down the flange on the pads where they touch?

Quote:

Originally Posted by texastrendz (Post 4269989)
capt. fab,

i have assembled my rear disc brake kit(d-52 style) and noticed the outer pad is dragging on the rotor hat. is this normal, or should i be concerned? looking at your post of the installed pads it looks like yours are touching as well. is this going to create a singing noise or a vibration in the braking system? thanks again.

texastrendz 10-31-2010 11:16 PM

i resolved the issue by clearancing the contact area of the pad on the caliper itself. i think by grinding the pad i was not resolving the issue. by clearancing the caliper i now can replace the pads without any issue in the future. i only have about .040 clearance. since this is a floating caliper i think it will be fine. i tweaked the mounting tabs of the pads to pull it tight against the caliper not not let is float as much. seems to look o.k. i used a napa brand semi metalic pad.

SBTork 12-02-2010 08:22 PM

These look awesome and I will be getting a set in the future. I just want to make sure of one thing. I can use my stock master cylinder and just add an adjustable proportioning valve and they should work fine, correct?

Captainfab 12-03-2010 12:50 AM

Some guys get away with doing that, but it isn't the correct master cylinder to use. Since you're replacing the rear wheel cylinders with calipers, you need more volume to the rear. So the best master cylinder to use is one designed for a disc/disc brake system. Then you can either install a disc/disc proportioning valve, or install an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear line. The Wilwood unit I posted a pic of above is a nice all in one unit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBTork (Post 4327349)
These look awesome and I will be getting a set in the future. I just want to make sure of one thing. I can use my stock master cylinder and just add an adjustable proportioning valve and they should work fine, correct?

Captkaos 12-09-2010 02:17 PM

PM sent

Captainfab 12-10-2010 01:16 AM

PM returned....thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captkaos (Post 4340500)
PM sent

shiner2001 01-06-2011 06:14 AM

Anyone ever come up with any more e-brake solutions other than the Caddy calipers?

Captainfab 01-07-2011 12:36 AM

I've been looking into the possibility of adding another caliper to the assembly that is mechanically operated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiner2001 (Post 4391377)
Anyone ever come up with any more e-brake solutions other than the Caddy calipers?

shiner2001 01-07-2011 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 4393222)
I've been looking into the possibility of adding another caliper to the assembly that is mechanically operated.

Sounds good to me. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for any updates!