The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Theoriginalsilverado 11-24-2014 07:40 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Subscribing

rusty76 11-24-2014 09:30 PM

Cool build. I'll ride.

Gregski 11-24-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 6932753)
Cool build. I'll ride.

LOL, thanks, I'll try to entertain

Gregski 11-24-2014 09:46 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Small Stuff

3 Attachment(s)
usually people don't consider all the small stuff you have to do when fixin' up an old vehicle, here's an example, and no I did not take credit for breaking this corner off myself, it was already like that ~ your honor

used some crazy glue and frog tape to hold it over night, in the morning after removing the tape the piece still stayed on, amazing, job done

Gregski 11-24-2014 09:55 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Floor Pans

4 Attachment(s)
life is all about second chances, so I decided to give that CLR product another shot

This was Round 1 of Owner vs Truck, and Rusty won hands down didn't even break a sweat

Seriously though in my case this product was clearly a waste of money I gave it an honest effort first with a scotch pad / elbow grease combination to the body, and then a few jabs even with steel wool

verdict: CLR sucks and wouldn't remove a bugger off my finger

Gregski 11-24-2014 10:04 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty More Floor Pans

3 Attachment(s)
so it was time to go Def Con II

Round 2

This time I went to my trusty old friend Muriatic Acid, always there for me when I need a good skin burn (seriously wear a proper respirator and heavy rubber gloves, and eye protection this stuff finds ways to get in your eyes) Home Depot $5 bucks, and the difference between this stuff and the name brand rust removers is that this stuff WORKS!

in this round I begin to wear him down with a wire brush cause the acid would disintegrate the green scotch pad and I was all out of steel wool

I hosed off the acid and washed it all off with a bucket of Baking Soda and water to neutralize it

Round 2 goes to Rusty as well, clearly he must have the weight advantage, but I'll be back for more

Gregski 11-24-2014 10:08 PM

Who was the genius at GM who decided not to put the drain plugs at the lowest point in the floor pans of the cab? And how is his sheet metal after market replacement floor pan side business doing these days? LOL

Gregski 11-25-2014 10:21 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Meet The Three Amigos

3 Attachment(s)
I hate rust! I think all of us do, so I decided to bust out with the heavy artillery.

Orbital Sander, Ol' Milwaukee, and Small Birtha my most used worth every dollar ($15 dollar) Harbor Freight tool in the stable, or as I like to call em The Three Amigos

bnoon 11-25-2014 10:46 PM

Feeling slightly left out with my two tone green/white, but I can still come to the meetings, right? Right guys? Come on guys... puuuullllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeease?!?!?! :lol:

Love the truck man.

By the way, wrong acid. You want oxalic acid to remove rust. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9rkHvOEP3U

Gregski 11-25-2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnoon (Post 6934251)
Feeling slightly left out with my two tone green/white, but I can still come to the meetings, right? Right guys? Come on guys... puuuullllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeease?!?!?! :lol:

green is green, yup you're in

Gregski 11-25-2014 11:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
starting to see some progress, but I am having a difficult time telling apart the rust from the black primer from maybe black sealant, maybe one more day with the abrasives and it should be ready for a coat of rust converter primer

Gregski 11-25-2014 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnoon (Post 6934251)

By the way, wrong acid. You want oxalic acid to remove rust.

it does work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3foqAjUZeK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip11EIZH_p8

73Super8 11-25-2014 11:14 PM

Great work.

bnoon 11-25-2014 11:23 PM

Muratic works because it eats the base metal away too!

I forgot about molasses works for rust removal too. Takes weeks though.

Gregski 11-25-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnoon (Post 6934301)

I forgot about molasses works for rust removal too. Takes weeks though.

Yes tried Molasses and it does take forever especially in the fall & winter months, the heat in the summer helps speed up the process Molasses may work for smaller parts that you can dip in a plastic tub and let sit, with some holes in the floor I could not keep a pool of it there for weeks as it did it's job, plus the car would smell like molasses, it just wasn't practical for this application

there's some truth to that saying "slow as molasses"

77K10Silverado 11-26-2014 10:23 AM

Nice work!

Gregski 11-27-2014 11:37 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Buckle Up

4 Attachment(s)
Happy Thanksgiving Everybody

Three football games on TV today, and I'm out in the freezing California cold out there (it's gotta be 66* for crying out loud) LOL, jk sanding and working on the truck in the driveway

well decided to put my big boy pants on, and remove the seat belts finally instead of maneuvering around them, I constantly battle the just get it done vs do it right mentality, a little voice chimes in my head from time to time going IT'S JUST A TRUCK !!!

you ever had that feeling that you don't wanna take off too much off your truck cause:

1. You won't remember how it goes back together

B. You will get so overwhelmed when it's all apart none of it will go back together

Gregski 11-27-2014 11:43 AM

4 Attachment(s)
the seat belts were so gross, dirty, and crusty that they won't even slide back and forth as you tried to adjust them, something had to be done, what's that?

Aren't I gonna replace them with shinny flexible brand new shoulder belt ones? Well yeah, but it's time for Another Kitchen Table Repair, aka AKTR

honey here's the credit card, go see how much money you can "save" at the mall, I will be needing full access to the kitchen sink

labor of love that's for sure (dang my soft hands are so dry)

bnoon 11-27-2014 01:59 PM

Wow, I need to do that with mine. I've never even known that the covers can come off like that for cleaning. I have shoulder belts sitting in the garage, but just can't quite make the leap from the original lap belts. The part about drilling the locator holes in the door frame have scared me off.

Gregski 11-28-2014 12:21 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Spraying Rust Fix

1 Attachment(s)
after giving the floors another acid wash, I used Acetone to wipe off all the grease and then shot em with a can and a half of this Rust Fix by Dupli-Color, not cheap $7.50 per can. The product turns rust to black stuff, that's all I know, LOL

After I get paid I will get a color match from a reputable paint shop in town for $20 bucks (already talked to them) and shoot the floors with that, you can paint over this Rust Fix stuff without primer, so we'll see how that goes

I don't want to paint the floors rattle can black, nor use that bed liner stuff on 'em, I like the green floors for contrast when I drop two black rubber floor mats on 'em

Gregski 11-28-2014 12:25 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Drain Plugs

1 Attachment(s)
there are four drain plugs in the cab, if I found 'em all. two under the bench seat and two tucked away nicely in the rear corners of the cab, these are the two where dirt, grime and everything else gathers

I yanked all of them out with a large flat screw driver and bent them a bit in the process, so I wanna show you how I flatened them back out, it's not rocket surgery I know, but I was quite proud of myself, so I am sharing, lol

Gregski 11-28-2014 12:42 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Bolt Cleaning

4 Attachment(s)
here is my "Mobile" bolt cleaning station, I really like how the light weight aluminum vice complements the classy cinder block (not just for bumper straightening you know)

I may not be a master mechanic (not even the reality TV kind) but I do like my parts to be clean before putting them back on (it's a sickness)

thefraze_1020 11-28-2014 12:58 PM

Good work Greg!

I'm the same way, I like fasteners clean when they go back in.

You're really lucky that the floor pans are in that good of shape. Certainly helps speed things along when you don't have to weld in new metal.

Gregski 11-28-2014 09:50 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Build Sheet

1 Attachment(s)
This was a cool find, a Build Sheet! ... or what's left of it, I'm going to send it to the Smithsonian for a full restoration

Gregski 11-28-2014 09:53 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Battery Tray

2 Attachment(s)
Ever wonder what baby Godzilla's eat? I am seriously thinking they feed on square body battery trays.