The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Firewall holes for Vintage Air (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=824280)

Peanut74 07-28-2021 10:11 PM

Firewall holes for Vintage Air

Ok, I've searched both this site and the Vintage Air site with no luck. What I am looking for is a paper pattern or dimensions for drilling a shaved firewall.

I have a Vintage Air Sure Fit system but since I shaved the firewall they did not send the metal piece to cover the factory heater hole. There is no pattern or dimensional layout information in the manual. If anyone can supply me the information or site I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,:metal:

Jason Banks 07-29-2021 12:03 PM

Re: Firewall holes for Vintage Air

Here's a CAD drawing I made when I drilled the holes in my shaved firewall. I had the metal piece from Vintage Air, so I just held it up to align this template I printed. That is why none of the other holes on the plate for reference are shown. Hope it helps.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...le-spacing.jpg

Peanut74 07-31-2021 09:33 AM

Thanks Jason you got me one step closer. At least now I have the hole layout. Just need to get a point of reference on the firewall to lay them out on.

I was counting on getting the metal filler plate to use as a reference for cutting the holes.

Grumpy old man 07-31-2021 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have what your looking for , I wanted to get as much done on the VA install before ordering the kit and another member sent it to me , I haven't done it yet but if you'll ship it back to me I'll send it to you to use ? I'll get a few pics of what I have and if it's what you need I'll send it to you ? it's the install instructions and plate . I shaved and smoothed mine as well . :chevy:

Peanut74 07-31-2021 10:05 PM

I would appreciate it Grumpy, thanks. I will pm my address to you so you can send it to me. Please have your return address on the inside of the package so that I can make sure I can read it.
Thanks for the help:metal:

Grumpy old man 08-01-2021 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what I have, Like I said another member was nice enough to send it to me when he was done with it and I haven't used it yet so I need it back when your done . And when I'm done I'll send it to the next guy that needs it . :chevy:

scf100 08-01-2021 06:54 PM

I’m gonna do a smooth firewall too but want to run ac lines hidden and not thru the firewall…..

Anyone know what hoses Vintage Air has that will come off the unit and run parallel with firewall?

Peanut74 08-01-2021 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8952417)
Here is what I have, Like I said another member was nice enough to send it to me when he was done with it and I haven't used it yet so I need it back when your done . And when I'm done I'll send it to the next guy that needs it . :chevy:

Grumpy, sent a pm with my address. I plan on drilling the holes once your flat pattern gets here so I can return it quickly. I have my VA kit and I want to get it installed.

C101972 08-02-2021 12:10 AM

As far as I know, some people have been running the restomodair bulkhead.For running the heater hoses and a/c lines between the inner fender and fender to the far right side of the firewall. Give it a look. Thanks Chuck
Posted via Mobile Device

Peanut74 08-12-2021 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well thanks to Jason and Grumpy I now have a paper pattern for the hole layout. It might not be exact but it should get me very, very close to where the holes need to be. Attached is a picture of my paper pattern that I will be using to drill my holes. I will give an update once I drill the holes. :eek:

Peanut74 08-18-2021 09:19 PM

A quick update on the holes specifically the 3/8" hole. Called Vintage Air and they stated that the hole was for the heater control valve. My plan is the reroute the wire so that I don't have to drill the hole and keep my firewall as smooth as possible.