The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   AC Blend door "clip"? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=825569)

kwmech 09-06-2021 03:04 PM

AC Blend door "clip"?

Taking the heater core out of my dads 83 Truck and found a broken plastic connector that moves the blend door via the vac pod from the opposite side. I know GM has them for about 3-4 dollars, but I've found one out of either aluminum or steel--but really 30 plus dollars each? yikes!! Any vendor on the board here have it?? Looking to get a couple of them for future endeavors and one for my suburban if there is ever an issue with it.

kwmech 09-06-2021 03:07 PM

Re: AC Blend door "clip"?

1 Attachment(s)
This little jewel

Dead Parrot 09-07-2021 06:13 AM

Post #35 in this thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=460942 shows my homemade metal solution. It is still working today.

Jeepwm69 09-15-2021 04:46 PM

I just ordered one of the aluminum ones off of ebay. Buy once, cry once.

But can someone tell me how the blend door works? Is there a way to test function?

I have my dash all pulled apart at the moment and want to make sure everything is working properly when it goes back together.

hatzie 09-15-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 (Post 8971099)

But can someone tell me how the blend door works? Is there a way to test function?

I have my dash all pulled apart at the moment and want to make sure everything is working properly when it goes back together.

It's controlled by the COLD <----> HOT lever.
Vacuum on newer machines and cable on the older machines.

kwmech 09-15-2021 09:54 PM

I sucked it up and got 2 aluminum ones. One for my suburban and one for the dads truck. They arrived today as a matter of fact

Jeepwm69 09-16-2021 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8971181)
It's controlled by the COLD <----> HOT lever.
Vacuum on newer machines and cable on the older machines.

This is an 83. I have the cable for hot/cold working well, but the blend door (assuming I'm using the proper term for the door that the clip attaches to) just seems to flap back and forth.

Guessing the engine has to be running (to produce vacuum) but what else makes it move back and forth? I want to make sure everything is working as it should before I put all the ductwork etc back in place.

hatzie 09-16-2021 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 (Post 8971700)
This is an 83. I have the cable for hot/cold working well, but the blend door (assuming I'm using the proper term for the door that the clip attaches to) just seems to flap back and forth.

Guessing the engine has to be running (to produce vacuum) but what else makes it move back and forth? I want to make sure everything is working as it should before I put all the ductwork etc back in place.

You can apply vacuum to the HVAC vacuum accumulator tank and test the operation of the control valves and motors.
This is supposed to be the HVAC Vacuum diagram for a K5.
Attachment 2131574

Jeepwm69 09-20-2021 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8971715)
You can apply vacuum to the HVAC vacuum accumulator tank and test the operation of the control valves and motors.
This is supposed to be the HVAC Vacuum diagram for a K5.
Attachment 2131574

Thank you! That's great info!

Pontiac1976 09-26-2021 03:39 PM

Quote:

Taking the heater core out of my dads 83 Truck and found a broken plastic connector that moves the blend door via the Vac. pod from the opposite side. I know GM has them for about 3-4 dollars, but I've found one out of either aluminum or steel--but really 30 plus dollars each? yikes!! Any vendor on the board here have it?? Looking to get a couple of them for future endeavors and one for my suburban if there is ever an issue with it.
Try LMC Pg.180 #7 $5.95 If that that the part "Connecter-Diverter link for A/c

kwmech 09-26-2021 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiac1976 (Post 8976531)
Try LMC Pg.180 #7 $5.95 If that that the part "Connecter-Diverter link for A/c

Yup, but it is still plastic and now chinese plastic.

Pontiac1976 09-27-2021 08:36 PM

Well then just get a solid round alum rod big enough from home depot. Cut off a section use hack it with Dremel Tool and Accessories. Cut and grind in to shape in 2 hour you should be able get it rough out the Chinese alum test fit fine tuning it for fitment. You can spend as much to finish it to your liking. I did not know you did not want Chinese plastic. The shape is not hard to make. The other option is pc 3D printer buy one or try calling 3D printer shop to do some up for you.( but Plastic again)

kwmech 09-27-2021 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiac1976 (Post 8977162)
Well then just get a solid round alum rod big enough from home depot. Cut off a section use hack it with Dremel Tool and Accessories. Cut and grind in to shape in 2 hour you should be able get it rough out the Chinese alum test fit fine tuning it for fitment. You can spend as much to finish it to your liking. I did not know you did not want Chinese plastic. The shape is not hard to make. The other option is pc 3D printer buy one or try calling 3D printer shop to do some up for you.( but Plastic again)

Good grief see post number 6

Hart_Rod 01-01-2022 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 (Post 8971099)

link?

TKCR 01-02-2022 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 9013682)
link?

Go to Ebay, type in a/c heater blend door clip. Several pop up.

hatzie 01-03-2022 01:28 PM

If you can run a grinder and MIG you can DIY one out of steel.

Hart_Rod 01-05-2022 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 9013825)
Go to Ebay, type in a/c heater blend door clip. Several pop up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 9014260)
If you can run a grinder and MIG you can DIY one out of steel.

Thanks! I ordered one of the aluminum pieces. Hopefully I will never have to replace it again. On another note, where are you guys sourcing quality heater cores? TIA!