The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   47-55.1 Q's about installing 80mil sound deadener (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=787671)

Livemeyer 05-28-2019 05:46 PM

Q's about installing 80mil sound deadener

Got my Noico 80mil butyl automotive sound deadener, roller, tape, etc. and am prepping the inside roof of the cab. Scraped off all the old cloth-like material (is it fiberglass?) but in places it wasn't, there's some surface rust. I'm working to remove the surface rust, and here's the question: should I just put this stuff straight onto the bare steel, or should I apply a rust-inhibiting paint or primer first, or something else? I figure the sound deadener might affix itself better to the bare steel, but am unsure if it's best to leave the steel in an untreated condition.

mr48chev 05-28-2019 06:01 PM

Re: Q's about installing 80mil sound deadener

I'd put on rust inhibiting/stabilizing paint just as a precaution. Anything you can do to stop or slow down rust is going to help the truck last a lot longer.

Black_Sheep 05-28-2019 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8533165)
I'd put on rust inhibiting/stabilizing paint just as a precaution. Anything you can do to stop or slow down rust is going to help the truck last a lot longer.

I believe the sound deadened will adhere better on a clean, painted surface

Livemeyer 05-28-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8533165)

Sounds like that is prevailing opinion. As long as the sound deadener can adhere to it, that's the plan.

mr48chev 05-28-2019 11:01 PM

I've never tried rust converters or even the paints that say they will stop rust but getting all the loose stuff off and using a product that says it will convert/stop the rust seems to make a lot of sense.

Let us know how that particular sound deadener works out. We are always up for valid reports on how sound deadener or heat blocking products actually work.

Driver_WT 05-29-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8533341)
I've never tried rust converters or even the paints that say they will stop rust but getting all the loose stuff off and using a product that says it will convert/stop the rust seems to make a lot of sense.

Let us know how that particular sound deadener works out. We are always up for valid reports on how sound deadener or heat blocking products actually work.

I have used Rust Bullet on previous builds. Used it on a rear axle housing that was 20 years old and rusty - in the last 10 years, no rust has come through the Rust Bullet coating.

I have also used POR15, but that project is only about a year old, so no long term experience to report.

Wade

_Ogre 05-29-2019 05:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
fyi once installed the original rubber trim won't fit
i used black door edge molding to finish off my 58 headliner
sound deadener covered in ultrasuede

Driver_WT 05-29-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 8533701)

Very nice.

_Ogre 05-30-2019 01:25 PM

door edge trim also comes in chrome if your a chrome type of guy

Livemeyer 06-03-2019 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 8533701)

I think what you've done there looks awesome, but your mention of the original rubber trim confuses me. I don't think I'm dealing with any rubber trim on a '51. It's just two cardboard strips with a center frame and rear frame with screws.

Ironworking 06-05-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8533341)

One of, if not the very best heat blocker is 1/4" thick cork board.