The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 10-30-2016 07:50 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

alright I just put a 7 PSI pressure test on the engine (heads, block, intake) chose 7 just cause it's a bear to pump that little guy up, plus 7 is in the geeen zone, so we'll see if it holds

Will206 10-31-2016 09:03 PM

Checkout Champion too, I got a 4 core monster for my 383 from them for a hell of a price, and it's a high quality radiator too.

http://www.championradiators.com/Che...ator-1973-1987

http://i.imgur.com/2zw7ZSU.jpg

Gregski 11-01-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will206 (Post 7757443)
Checkout Champion too, I got a 4 core monster for my 383 from them for a hell of a price, and it's a high quality radiator too.

http://www.championradiators.com/Che...ator-1973-1987

http://i.imgur.com/2zw7ZSU.jpg

Thank you, unfortunately I called them up and it comes with the transmission cooler inlet and outlet and I have a manual transmission and don't want those for a cleaner look, anal/silly I know, and they want $80 bucks additional to replace that plate

mzsigler 11-02-2016 10:30 PM

Awesome thread, I read the entire thing in anticipation of picking up an 82 SWB 2WD on Friday.

Gregski 11-02-2016 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mzsigler (Post 7759189)
Awesome thread, I read the entire thing in anticipation of picking up an 82 SWB 2WD on Friday.

Thank, you I love my two wheel drive short bed, hope you get a good one, they are fantastic to wrench on, plenty of space to get in to everything, I would say they are like playing with Legos but it's more like Duplos, ha ha

mzsigler 11-03-2016 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7759203)
Thank, you I love my two wheel drive short bed, hope you get a good one, they are fantastic to wrench on, plenty of space to get in to everything, I would say they are like playing with Legos but it's more like Duplos, ha ha

My last project was a Miata, surprisingly easy to wrench on given the size, but I'm looking forward to V8 power again. I'll post pics in about 24 hours.

I have the same Wideband you do in the Miata. Super useful.

Gregski 11-04-2016 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mzsigler (Post 7759498)
I have the same Wideband you do in the Miata. Super useful.

so glad you brought that up, strength in numbers, I hope more and more guys with old trucks like on this forum realize the potential of these AFR gauges as they come down in price and take their tuning to a whole new level for both fuel economy and performance

Gregski 11-04-2016 12:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
C a n dy

LeesTruk 11-04-2016 05:00 AM

Is that your new sleeping quarters, behind the cardboard box?

mzsigler 11-04-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7760105)
so glad you brought that up, strength in numbers, I hope more and more guys with old trucks like on this forum realize the potential of these AFR gauges as they come down in price and take their tuning to a whole new level for both fuel economy and performance

I tend to put turbochargers on everything I own, so they aren't even optional, but honestly i can see a huge amount of value even without forced induction, particularly with a carburetor. If I were staying with a carb it would likely be the very first thing I did.

mzsigler 11-04-2016 05:44 PM

Now I'll go make my own thread :D

http://i.imgur.com/9Q1focAh.jpg

UKNOWME 11-04-2016 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7756401)
so my plastic [ahem] PVC Mityvac MV4560 coolying system pressure test kit arrived from Amazon today, they deliver on Sunday's who knew?!

$50 bucks

Who delivers on Sunday?

rich weyand 11-05-2016 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKNOWME (Post 7760666)
Who delivers on Sunday?

US Postal Service, believe it or not. If you are an Amazon Prime member, you get two-day free delivery. Order on Friday, it will come on Sunday. USPS delivers it.

Gregski 11-05-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mzsigler (Post 7760510)
Now I'll go make my own thread :D

http://i.imgur.com/9Q1focAh.jpg

what's not to like, she's sexy

Gregski 11-05-2016 01:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
mandatory stare and compare, old rad and new one, the rows in the new one are wider although both rads have two rows

Gregski 11-05-2016 01:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
gave the new aluminum radiator a quick dip, just cause it's new don't mean it will be good, sometimes they leak, this one did not

Gregski 11-05-2016 01:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7709236)
It looks good but where is my zip tie tip of the day? Lol

I told you we will have one....

the rubber radiator hold down thingies did not quite fit, so we improvised

Gregski 11-05-2016 01:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I can not stand the hand slicing dime a dozen hose clamps so got these T-bolt ones and love them

Gregski 11-05-2016 01:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
and here she be all installated

note the vinegar jug lives on as the overflow tank, two tone that Chip Foose - hee hee

hatzie 11-05-2016 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7761031)
I can not stand the hand slicing dime a dozen hose clamps so got these T-bolt ones and love them

Pricy but very worth it. They don't loosen up by extruding the hose through the worm slots.
Breeze Liner worm clamps will accomplish the same thing but they are around the same price and don't look near as nice.

Gregski 11-06-2016 02:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
well after two years of fast at it looks like the Greg may finally be slowing down, the replacement water temp gauge arrived yesterday and I took a nap instead of installing it right quick, ha ha, that or it's hibernation season

Gregski 11-06-2016 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
FINALLY the Green Quartet is back together, yes they all work, and yes I am completely out of fuel, ha ha

pic taken with the key in the ON position but the truck not running just to show lightability on the gauges

UKNOWME 11-06-2016 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7760788)
US Postal Service, believe it or not. If you are an Amazon Prime member, you get two-day free delivery. Order on Friday, it will come on Sunday. USPS delivers it.

Wow that is awesome! Wonder if that's nation wide? That right there might be worth having prime. I always gripe at my wife because she does the free trial and forgets to cancel.

Gregski 11-06-2016 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I give you the world's dumbest invention, radiator hose lube, this is excellent if you want your hoses to slip off the inlet or outlet tubes no matter how tight you make the hose clamps

you can find these right next to blinker fluid at your local parts house

hatzie 11-06-2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7761927)
I give you the world's dumbest invention, radiator hose lube, this is excellent if you want your hoses to slip off the inlet or outlet tubes no matter how tight you make the hose clamps

you can find these right next to blinker fluid at your local parts house

I actually use a very very thin layer of Sil-Glyde Synthetic Silicone grease on the coolant hoses on everything I work on.
When the bead on the tube and fitting ends is properly formed and the clamps are sufficient for the task it causes ZERO problems and the hoses don't end up bonded to the fittings.

If that stuff is petroleum based you will have issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKNOWME (Post 7761844)
Wow that is awesome! Wonder if that's nation wide? That right there might be worth having prime. I always gripe at my wife because she does the free trial and forgets to cancel.

Prime gives you free 2 day shipping on bunches of items and fairly cheap next day. I find it worth the yearly subscription fee.
It also gives you access to "included with Prime" movies and commercial free TV shows kinda similar to Netflix. I paid for this season of Dr Who and The Blacklist on Amazon Video but there are a lot of included videos.