The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

rusty76 08-29-2016 07:53 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Welcome back to the world of funny fickle old pick-it-ups. Lol

Gregski 09-01-2016 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewfil1 (Post 7695222)
You seem to have the worst luck with them.

false alarm, the Oil Pressure Gauge works, the wire just came off the sender stud, it uses a hand tight type of nut on it, so this time I tightened it down with some pliers

Hewfil1 09-01-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7700975)
false alarm, the Oil Pressure Gauge works, the wire just came off the sender stud, it uses a hand tight type of nut on it, so this time I tightened it down with some pliers

Thank goodness

Gregski 09-01-2016 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last camping trip of the year and the twisties were just fine with the manual steering box I think I was doing about 40 MPH with one hand on the wheel and the other on the stick

Did I mention truck camping is the best!!! Git on outder!

D13 09-02-2016 06:59 AM

Manual steering is fine until it's a 3/4 ton with big tires sitting on concrete.

rusty76 09-02-2016 06:42 PM

So awesome.

Gregski 09-07-2016 01:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Out with the New and in with the (slightly) Used

so I got tired of the head pounding drone of my Flowmaster Series 40s and decided to weld up the Magnaflows

here's how they compare, the Magnaflows are longer

Gregski 09-07-2016 01:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
see how they came with the hanger rod, I try to do a good job a clean job so I cut it off and grinder that area smooth

Gregski 09-07-2016 01:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and so the passenger side is done, this is what it looks like it will go slightly down and out the side (not exactly how it lays in the picture but you git the idear)

Gregski 09-07-2016 01:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and here is the driver side same but opposite (hey is that like yes and no or same difference, ha ha) by they way I can't stand both of those responses, ha ha

took me about 3 hours from the time I got home to take the old exhaust off cut it up, moc up the new exhaust, and weld 'er up - for those of you keeping track of our billables, hee hee

FACT: The best exhaust clamp is a WELDER!!!

Gregski 09-07-2016 01:40 AM

alright enuff of your bugger welds how do it sound?

well honestly it's too soon to tell I did drive it around the neighborhood a bit (late at night) cause that's where the drone was the worst below 1000 RPM and I also took it on a highway

in One Word I would say it seems - RASPIE...ER

but ever since I topped off my transmission fluid now my New Process 833 overdrive transmission likes to make a Chewbacca choking on a hairy dog noise in second gear making it difficult to hear the exhaust note, and a bit of a whinning noise in 4th gear, old trucks gotta love 'em fix one thing and TWO others break

also, it seemed like I left it idling a bit high at 850 RPM the last time I made carb adjustments so I toned it down to 700 RPM (that put some low end rumble back in it) and will drive it to work tomorrow and report back my findings when I have more data

Wide Open 09-07-2016 06:50 AM

So the drone was still that bad after you added the turn outs?
Posted via Mobile Device

Gregski 09-07-2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wide Open (Post 7706087)
So the drone was still that bad after you added the turn outs?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes Sir, seemed like every time I did something the drone moved down in RPMs, originally it was at about 1500 RPM then I added the resonators before the mufflers and it moved to about 1000 RPM (head pounding during fast idle choke warm ups, couldn't sit in the truck until the truck warmed up) then I added the turn outs and I thought it got better (cause it wasn't there during warm ups with the choke) but it moved down to about 800 RPM, so PIA at stop lights

I figure I could have played the H pipe or the X pipe game but I wanted better flowing mufflers anyway so went with the straight through design of the MagnaFlows

Gregski 09-08-2016 10:43 AM

So lowered the RPMs to 700 and drove the truck in to work, it's not as loud as the Flowmasters and it is a bit raspier, I want more of a low tone rumble though so I may remove the 9 inch resonators that are currently in front of the mufflers and see what it sounds like without them

Gregski 09-08-2016 11:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
~ Parts ~

time to do something different and away from the engine

got this Roll Pan from Summit for $99 bucks looks like a nice piece

rusty76 09-08-2016 09:19 PM

Cool pan.

harley87ta 09-09-2016 09:20 AM

That roll pan looks like a nice piece. It even comes with the plate light. I assume it's weld in?

Gregski 09-09-2016 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harley87ta (Post 7708030)
That roll pan looks like a nice piece. It even comes with the plate light. I assume it's weld in?

screw on, has six holes across the top and comes with SEVEN philips head screws - LOL

Gregski 09-09-2016 10:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
so lets fit this thing

OK our roll pan is 67 and 2/16ths (that's right I said 2/16ths take that my 6th grade match teacher)

And our opening is [wait for it] 67 and 1/16ths - Surprise Surprise

so out comes the Power Spreader 3000

so Moses parted the Sea out to 67 1/2 inches so that after the spreader was removed the opening now was 67 1/4 inches, see how that works

Gregski 09-09-2016 10:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
alright so now it fits width wise but why won't this darn thing slide up another inch? what is it hitting on?

so we clampatize it and take a peak underneath

(finally git to use my cheap Harbor Freight clampy clam, and oh boy does it suck)

RDrancher 09-10-2016 07:04 AM

A math lesson, product introduction and tool review all in the same thread? C'mon now...it doesn't get any better than that! Wait...maybe it does... :)

Keep up the good work.

rusty76 09-10-2016 08:34 AM

Are sure the license plate isn't in the way? Lol.

Gregski 09-10-2016 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDrancher (Post 7708843)
A math lesson, product introduction and tool review all in the same thread? C'mon now...it doesn't get any better than that! Wait...maybe it does... :)

Keep up the good work.

ha ha yup, thanks

Gregski 09-10-2016 10:54 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7708871)
Are sure the license plate isn't in the way? Lol.

good guess, the license plate is dangling by two white zip ties, a tribute to the boyz of Roadkill

but you are in the right area, The Greg just had to get the roll pan with the license plate recess so sure enuff it hits the 2x4 at the back of the bed, so out comes the blue tape and the Wheel of Death

it was roughly 27" from the side to the indent on the pan, so I went 26 1/2 to make the cut just to have a bit of wiggle room, then I just bent the metal back instead of cutting it all out, you know if and when the time comes to put this NUMBERS MATCHING barn find to spec in time for 2038 SEMA

Gregski 09-10-2016 11:00 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I was too lazy to take the tailgate off before drilling the holes, and only after I scratched it up drilling the outside two holes (one on either side) did I put the blue tape on for "protection" to make you guys think I was that careful, but guess what even with the blue tape I mucked it up, ha ha - hey IT'S A TRUCK!

it was dark it was late, and I was sweating profusely = beer time

I took as many pics as I could (without getting off my butt) to show you how it looks all moched up, I will remove it and make it GREEN soon

also the phillips head screws they give you to hold this thing on are COMPLETELY and utterly useless, you need a hex head on a self tapping screw, just sayin'